Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Killer drivers face risk of life behind bars

Still Waters

Drivers who kill while at the wheel face the risk of a life behind bars, the Government has confirmed.

Motorists who cause death by speeding, street racing or while on a mobile phone are among those who may be handed a life sentence.

Thousands of people backed the calls for a change in the law when the Government carried out a consultation last year.

Ministers say they will now act on those calls, with a maximum life sentence for those convicted of causing death by dangerous driving or causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs.

http://news.sky.com/story/killer-drivers-face-risk-of-life-behind-bars-11082093

• Like 4

This is a very good move. Driving needs to be taken seriously again. It's a huge responsibility to take to the roads in something that can cause carnage. Anything that can distract the driver, even for a moment as that is all it takes, should be avoided. Anything that leaves the driver with just one free hand, should be avoided at all costs. Plus, kids should be made aware of the importance of behaving and being quiet when in a moving vehicle.  

17 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

This is a very good move. Driving needs to be taken seriously again. It's a huge responsibility to take to the roads in something that can cause carnage. Anything that can distract the driver, even for a moment as that is all it takes, should be avoided. Anything that leaves the driver with just one free hand, should be avoided at all costs. Plus, kids should be made aware of the importance of behaving and being quiet when in a moving vehicle.  

You'd have to take all heating/cooling controls and all music players out of cars and ban eating or drinking in them. 

I doubt that is feasible.

Pretty soon they'll all be self-driving and we won't even need to worry about it anymore.

29 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

You'd have to take all heating/cooling controls and all music players out of cars and ban eating or drinking in them. 

I doubt that is feasible.

Pretty soon they'll all be self-driving and we won't even need to worry about it anymore.

Actually, here in the U.K., I think eating or drinking while driving is illegal.  If I am wrong someone is sure to put me right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Actually, here in the U.K., I think eating or drinking while driving is illegal.  If I am wrong someone is sure to put me right.

Its not illegal but its open to interpretation.

We have the problem with illegal street races in some cities here in Germany and uninvolved people got killed already but the perpetrators got severe penalties only in the past. In February this year a court in Berlin sentenced two drivers (25+28yo) with life sentence, they were charged for murder. It was the first time that drivers were sentenced with such a heavy punishment for speeding that caused a fatality. The drivers performed an illegal street race last year in the city of Berlin on the famous boulevard Kurfürstendamm. They drove at a speed of 160km/h, passed 9 red traffic lights and hit a car, the uninvolved driver died at the accident site.

Last Friday new laws have been established here with prison sentences up to 10 years for the participation on illegal street races. I fully agree with these laws and I hope that as much as possible of these idiots get caught and sentenced at full scale if others were taken into risk. I by myself dont often drive in compliance to speed limits but there is a big difference if driving 60 or 70 km/h where 50km/h is allowed and to drive 100 or more where 50km/h is allowed.

Ministers say they will now act on those calls, with a maximum life sentence for those convicted of causing death by dangerous driving or causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs.

seems reasonable