Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Invisig0th

What do you think of traditional gender roles

57 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

This is a spectrum, though.  

You were advocating, I believe, for separate roles for men and women.  No women in men's areas and vice-versa.

So are you thinking that no women need to be doing construction work of any sort?  

Let's explore how YOU think this should be in your ideal world.  Tell me about it in specifics.

No, I never said that! Read what I wrote about female firefighters. I said that men dominate some jobs, like construction, since men have a size and strength advantage. I was very clear that all things should be based on merit, not gender, so we can discuss this further if you don't *misrepresent* my points with straw-man caricatures that have absolutely nothing to do with my comments, let alone my beliefs. 

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

No, I never said that! Read what I wrote about female firefighters. I said that men dominate some jobs, like construction, since men have a size and strength advantage. I was very clear that all things should be based on merit, not gender, so we can discuss this further if you don't *misrepresent* my points with straw-man caricatures that have absolutely nothing to do with my comments, let alone my beliefs. 

I apologize -- I have misinterpreted your statements.  I'd confused you with the OP and his position.  In that case, I would agree with you... base it on merit and ability and not on gender.

1 person likes this

Gender roles are dumb and I have no use for them. Everyone should just act how they like, wear what they like, love who they like, and be whoever they like. Any custom around what a man or a woman "should" be/do/say are archaic at best and oppressive at worst.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I apologize -- I have misinterpreted your statements.  I'd confused you with the OP and his position.  In that case, I would agree with you... base it on merit and ability and not on gender.

I've done similar things in the past. I accept your apology. :) 

1 person likes this

I just think that traditional gender roles aren't necessary but I'm not exactly against them either - people can do however they feel like suits them best.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:45 PM, internetperson said:

This doesn't help your argument if these women were considered a last line of defense. I do understand women can fight. Apparently when magellan was off the shores of south america they found half naked women and they sent their best looking guy out to the beach to talk to them. The biggest one there bashed him on the head then they cooked him on the beach. When native americans attacked settlers the women were reported to have fought 'just as viciously as the men' (I may have butchered that and they were reported to fight more viciously). However again, in this case they were protecting kids in the wagons and were the last line of defense.

The flip side of gender roles is men are just a bunch of ogerish dummies. I imagine if all you had to do was have an army made up of women and they'd dominate all the men then someone throughout history would have proven this to be true. 

It's not just in humans either other mammals are typically similar, right? 

I agree with you that if women can compete in a sport and perform as well as men then they should be able to play. But again the placekicker thing really doesn't help your argument, it further proves the point that men are generally going to physically dominate women in aggressive physical sports. This is why the gals that would be the superstars in football are the exception. Keep in mind the men that play don't simply walk into the field. They are the exception of men. 

I agree the roles need to be relaxed. 100% agreed. I played on a pool APA league a few years ago and women were given a starting advantage which is bull****. Even if there weren't exceptions to size differences in men and women and it was a black and white matter pool has zero physical nature about it. It's not a sport it's a game. Such bs. I hope they changed that rule.

Anyway your post reminded me of this for better or worse:

Im pretty sure Dee breaks her ankle the next time she kicks a ball. And here she is after being tackled.

e5106ce81c96b6d2c27b5fe7f81b7b41.jpg

But in fairness, men fail too.

1 person likes this

On 10/15/2017 at 4:42 PM, Invisig0th said:

Sure, I agree. I don't think anything should be imposed on anyone.

tell that to liberal with their bathroom laws.