Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for genuine, cynical opinions.

SilverRose

Hello. I am a female college student, and most if not all of these things have taken place before I left home. For a bit of background, I was raised in a Christian household that does not believe in the "paranormal" in regards to spirituality, (Ghosts do not exist, angels and demons stay in their respective places etc.) but I myself have wavered between atheism and agnosticism most of my life. 

Beginning at around age six-eight (To varying degrees), I've had unusual experiences that have seemed to follow me, but vary wildly. As a child, I would often see transparent, milky-white 'teardrops' floating in a circle that would terrify me and for years refused to sleep in my own room. Phantom smells, usually sickly-sweet like spoiled cake would wash over me and vanish. As a teenager, I experienced the feeling of things tugging gently at my clothing or hair, or poking me between the shoulder blades or hips.  Some of the things I've 'experienced' I've written off has having very obvious causes (waking up to see figures standing over me is extremely easily explained as para-sleep) but there's a lot I've never been able to figure out. My parents (I am an only child) also had several experiences I myself didn't see, that I can't give credit or discredit too such as seeing black figures around the house, or hearing me laughing/talking when I wasn't there that may or may not be legitimate. The issue was mutually brushed off after they told me. 

I assumed for a long time that this was all psychologically me, that I've experienced varying forms of hallucinations, alongside para-sleep disorders and fainting spells. To an extent, I still assume that. I've had bloodwork done with normal results, and explored the possibility that slight seizures might be causing some of my 'symptoms' with a doctor, but there's been no evidence this is the case and I finally just gave up. This has been frustrating me for essentially my entire remembered life. There is no history of any mental illness aside from depression in my family. 

I've seen a lot of debunking on these forums, so I suppose that's what I'm hoping for/expecting. But any opinions are welcomed and respected, I'm open to anything at this point. 

Any ideas or advice?

Edited by SilverRose

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papageorge1

• SilverRose

• trevor borocz johnson

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, SilverRose said:

But any opinions are welcomed and respected

Why be bothered and frustrated by this if it is not causing you any real trouble? I personally believe paranormal phenomena is a lot more common than many believe and your experiences don't sound unprecedented, but I can't know in your particular case.

However, the members here are pretty quick to give you the possible natural/cynical explanations you are asking for.

Edited by papageorge1

27 minutes ago, SilverRose said:

or hearing me laughing/talking when I wasn't there

My mom and I both have talked about hearing a radio that was on and going to turn it off and nothing being on.

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Why be bothered and frustrated by this if it is not causing you any real trouble?

I think "trouble" is relative. Is it causing me any physical harm? No. Am I scared? Not since I was a child. But living almost day to day with something you have no explanation for, for over a decade is enough to frustrate someone of my temperament :)

3 minutes ago, SilverRose said:

I think "trouble" is relative. Is it causing me any physical harm? No. Am I scared? Not since I was a child. But living almost day to day with something you have no explanation for, for over a decade is enough to frustrate someone of my temperament :)

I didn't realize it was that frequent. I would want to know what is going on too.