Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

August 13th lights in the sky

SSDIPainGuy

Let me preface this by saying I am a scientific/show me proof kind of guy. I don't just jump to, "yup, ufo, aliens!" But I had my 2nd sighting, of something Aug 13th. I went outside with my son at about 10pm to look for meteors. I believe I was looking SE, about 65° up, and this light (approx 5x the magnitude of Jupiter) blinks on, then blinks off. Not instant on then instant off, more like an old lightbulb. The best term I can use, is it phased on, then phased off. It grew from very small, to its full size, then immediately phased back out. The whole on/off cycle was only a second maybe, then it was gone. Of course my son didn't see it. I thought maybe it was a star going supernova or something. We kept looking up, about 6 minutes later it did it again. Same spot, same intensity, same duration. My son saw this one. About 5 minutes later, same thing! About ten minutes later, now to the East I believe, it does it again, except now it's only about 30° high. Six minutes later, does it again, same spot. We're freaking out. About ten minutes later, now roughly SSE it does it one more time, about 50° high. That's it, doesn't happen again. Seeing it, it looked like it was in space, or the very least, extremely high, too high for a plane. I reported it to MUFON, but I was hesitant to give my exact location. Someone did reply but I didn't see the email for a few days. After I replied, very apologetic, his next email was very dismissive. "Since you won't give me the exact location, I'm forced to decide it's an airplane (I live near an airport). I told him I'd give him my address, I'd love to explore this further, he never replied. It was not an airplane, it would have had to be flying directly at me, from that high angle, 3 times, then 2 more times from the 2nd location then finally once more from the last location. It wasn't a drone. I'm left sitting here, trying like hell to make sense of it, only to give up, feeling sick to my stomach that I will never know what it was. 

First up, please forgive me if I seem a little jaded by reports such as yours..  A few questions:

Why so shy about your location?  There's little point telling us what direction you were looking, if we don't know where you were (roughly would be fine)...  Do you think the MIB will be scouring all the houses in that region to find you? :D  I can see why people might be dismissive...

More to the point - what happened when you went to your local constabulary and/or weather bureau and/or astronomy club and asked them if anyone else who was out that night saw/reported anything, and also, who runs all-night-sky-cams so the footage can be checked.

What other reports were there in the media?  Were there any sporting events or other potential sources, like this (in mid August...):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/mesmerising-footage-shows-record-breaking-skydivers-light-up-chi/

Other than that, cool story bro, but I don't see how we can help, other than maybe to suggest helicopter with searchlight, maybe military exercises with some sort of flares.

Buy a decent camera system and set it recording when you next go gazin'.  And refer again to my first suggestions and ask yourself why you were, apparently, the only one/s to see what you claim.

Edited by ChrLzs
clarifying..
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

First up, please forgive me if I seem a little jaded by reports such as yours..  A few questions:

Why so shy about your location?  There's little point telling us what direction you were looking, if we don't know where you were (roughly would be fine)...  Do you think the MIB will be scouring all the houses in that region to find you? :D  I can see why people might be dismissive...

More to the point - what happened when you went to your local constabulary and/or weather bureau and/or astronomy club and asked them if anyone else who was out that night saw/reported anything, and also, who runs all-night-sky-cams so the footage can be checked.

What other reports were there in the media?  Were there any sporting events or other potential sources, like this (in mid August...):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/mesmerising-footage-shows-record-breaking-skydivers-light-up-chi/

Other than that, cool story bro, but I don't see how we can help, other than maybe to suggest helicopter with searchlight, maybe military exercises with some sort of flares.

Buy a decent camera system and set it recording when you next go gazin'.  And refer again to my first suggestions and ask yourself why you were, apparently, the only one/s to see what you claim.

Yea I agree with this for the most part. Well other then it should have been obvious to go to the local constabulary. What the hell is a constabulary? :huh::)

I'd like to add, he didn't tell some far fetched story, it seemed genuine to me. Of course I could be wrong about that.

Cool story indeed.

Let us know if you see it again.

I did forget to add, in my original post, that I'm in central NC. Initially, i was hesitant to give my address to the MUFON website when i made my report because let's face it, everything on the internet can be found by anyone. I really didn't need a prospective employer to Google my name and see a UFO sighting attached to it. Secondly, i attempted to find corroborating sightings. I researched the hell out of it and came up with nothing. Also, I'm not an expert, I'm not experienced or have the knowledge that a seasoned person on this site does to know how to investigate it further, i.e. tracking down a constabulary or weather bureau. That's why I'm here, I'm attempting to surround myself with people that have more experience than I do. I don't expect anyone here to know what I saw, but I can't stop my search for answers until I've exhausted every possibility. 

I don't blame yours, or anyone else's doubt and skepticism, it goes with the territory. Just realize though, that I have nothing to gain by sharing this experience. I'm also not trying to convince anyone to believe me, you either do or you don't. Either way is ok, so long as it stays respectful. I will try to answer anyone else's questions also. Thanks for the input. 

Edited by SSDIPainGuy
  • Like 1

I'm from the colonies, guys...

constabulary
noun
BRITISH
1. a police force covering a particular area or city. "the Royal Irish Constabulary"
adjective
1. relating to a constabulary.  "the constabulary strength was 13,000 men"

Anyway, from NC, you probably wouldn't have been seeing skydivers in Chicago.. :D  I'm a tad busy but later I might see if I can find anything about military exercises or some other night/sky event around that time.  Otherwise no idea.

But seriously, get along to your nearest astronomy club and ask if they could help - if there's a nearby skycam, they would likely be happy to give you their archive of footage from that night so you can pore over it..  Besides, astronomy is a lot of fun.

• Like 2