Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery stone structures in Saudi Arabia

seeder

Mystery of Saudi Arabia's ancient 'gates': 400 stone structures that may be 7,000 years old are spotted on Google Earth, but archaeologists have no idea why they were built

Some are up to 1,700 feet (518 metres) long and built across old lava domes
    The strange cluster are 'the oldest man-made structures in the landscape'
    Stone walls are dubbed the 'gates' because of what they look like from above
    Found in the Harrat Khaybar region in Saudia Arabia, their purpose is unknown

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4991930/Google-Earth-reveals-400-mysterious-stone-structures.html#ixzz4vrXkHl1G

• Like 6

It appears that these 'structures' have had no professional attention.

This site: Saudi amateur archaeologists , gives quite a large amount of info - alas, mainly in Arabic.

A more mainstream article: Link, referencing Australian archaeologist David Kennedy, who seems quite a legitimate sort.

I find these quite interesting and would welcome commentary from some of our contributors as to the origin of these structures. I presume these are remnants of the Al-Magar civilisation, wiki link here: Al-Magar .

Many apologies if this topic has been discussed previously, I could not find a mention of it.

Edited by Jon101
To add more info.
  • Like 5

Interesting, thanks for posting.

• Like 4

Apologies to our esteemed Seeder for the topic duplication. 

• Like 2

You'll find similar structures in other parts of ME. The best guess is that they were for controlling or capturing large herds of gazelle and other such creatures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2814715/Mystery-Jordan-s-Big-Circles-Ancient-stone-rings-desert-left-archaeologists-baffled.html

• Like 4

It is the dread city of Irem, close enough to the Nameless City to be tainted by the eldericht horrors that lurk there. 

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It is the dread city of Irem, close enough to the Nameless City to be tainted by the eldericht horrors that lurk there. 

Nah Irem is in the depth of the Empty Quarter a dozen or kilometers from where the iron meteors fell....that and the odd Italian bomber from WWII

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/jwynn/3wabar.html

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 3

Very interesting, but are we sure they were man made?:alien:

That's some big structures! Moving rock to help soil tilling for agriculture and putting them in line ? I would want to see the height of these walls... ?

21 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

That's some big structures! Moving rock to help soil tilling for agriculture and putting them in line ? I would want to see the height of these walls... ?

Well we picked rocks every spring and in some places, there are substantial rock fences around every 1/4 section

jmccr8

• Like 2

From what I read about this on other sources, the structures were not unknown, but simply unstudied. Very low walls of piled volcanic rocks, on a plain of volcanic rocks, isn't very tempting I guess.

• Like 1

There are dried out river beds in the Arabian desert called wadis. I've read that thousands of years ago, the climate was different and rivers used to flow there, especially during certain seasons of the year. Furthermore, the Book of Genesis mentions four rivers flowing out of the garden of Eden; Euphrates, Tigris, Pishon and Gihon. There are people who have tried to follow the descriptions and come to the conclusion that the river Pishon corresponds to one of the wadis. I have actually a few years ago searched the net a bit to see if somebody has found archaelogical remains in the Arabian desert, especially near the wadis. Then I didn't find that much but I am happy about the finding that has been made now.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Saudi Arabia's 400 ancient 'gate' structures found on the edge of volcanoes are shown in stunning new detail, but archaeologists STILL have no idea why they were built

The strange cluster, found in the Harrat Khaybar region, are 'the oldest man-made structures in the landscape'
    They could only be studied using satellite imagery taken from Google Earth due to restrictions in the country
    David Kennedy, of the University of Western Australia, was given special permission to fly over the structures
    Some are up to 1,700 feet (518 metres) long and built across lava domes that may be thousands of years old
    Some stone structures have been dubbed 'gates' because they appear to look like field gates from above

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5077063/Aerial-images-closest-taken-Saudi-stone-structures.html#ixzz4yK0MseEe

• Like 3