Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UM-Bot

Impossible phone call

12 posts in this topic

By: InTheShadows | Location: West Virginia

My girlfriend at the time worked opposite hours so she would call the house on her lunch and we would talk until she went back in. One day as usual the phone rings and the caller I.D shows her name and cell number.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/111936/impossible-phone-call

Posted (edited)

Interesting story. The only normal explanation would be that you were expecting the call so your mind produced all the sounds. But it is hard to believe you could have had a conversation with that much content.

I have heard other stories somewhat similar to this. One possibility is the doppelganger phenomena. From wiseGEEK: A doppelganger — also written "doppelgaenger" or "doubleganger" — is quite simply a double. It can be a ghost or physical apparition, but it is usually a source of psychological anxiety for the person who sees it. The word comes from the German Doppelgänger, literally meaning "double-goer,"

There have been convincing cases of this. One person whose double was seen by multiple witnesses claimed to feel like a washed-out version of themselves during the experience. And you mentioned your girlfriend sounded flat and unemotional during the call adding evidence to this theory.

Here's one story claiming to have many witnesses (up to 40), Emily Sagee    Here's an interesting sentence from that article: However, she did become strangely groggy and powerless during the times the doppelganger manifested, and the wraith was often seen doing things Sagee later said she had been thinking about at the moment, suggesting that she may have had some subliminal control over it.

Edited by papageorge1

Posted (edited)

What were you doing before answering the phone? 

Also, how long ago was this? Number spoofing is a big problem, telemarketers are doing it. I've had a few people call me asking why I called them. I hadn't. As a matter of fake I checked my recent calls each time to make sure I hadn't accidentally called.

Edited by SecretSanta

Someone could have cloned the phone and had her contacts or recent calls list?

1 hour ago, TripGun said:

Someone could have cloned the phone and had her contacts or recent calls list?

But that wouldn't explain it as it was the girlfriend's live voice.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

But that wouldn't explain it as it was the girlfriend's live voice.

Or he just assumed it was her. I got a phone call once (home phone, no caller ID) and talked to a lady for a few minutes before we both realized she had the wrong number. She sounded EXACTLY like my sister-in-law. 

Or he could have dreamed it if he was napping.

Maybe some day he will pop in and answer some questions.

10 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Or he just assumed it was her. I got a phone call once (home phone, no caller ID) and talked to a lady for a few minutes before we both realized she had the wrong number. She sounded EXACTLY like my sister-in-law. 

Or he could have dreamed it if he was napping.

Maybe some day he will pop in and answer some questions.

But his cell phone showed the girlfriend's name and number but the phone was in her room. So the wrong number hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense (it would really be a longshot for the content to have made sense too).

At this point I am really strong on my doppelganger hypothesis as explained in post #2.

But the thread was started by a bot so our e-friend probably doesn't have a clue we are talking about his weird call.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

But his cell phone showed the girlfriend's name and number but the phone was in her room. So the wrong number hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense (it would really be a longshot for the content to have made sense too).

At this point I am really strong on my doppelganger hypothesis as explained in post #2.

But the thread was started by a bot so our e-friend probably doesn't have a clue we are talking about his weird call.

Unless the number was cloned. Like I've said MY cell number has been used by telemarketers a few times.

3 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Unless the number was cloned. Like I've said MY cell number has been used by telemarketers a few times.

And the voice and content made sense too...?

Just wondering. Do you ever give paranormal explanations some reasonable chance?

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

And the voice and content made sense too...?

Just wondering. Do you ever give paranormal explanations some reasonable chance?

I'm open to the possibility of paranormal explanations but I wouldn't until I exhausted every other possibility. Too many unanswered questions here to call paranormal. 

9 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

I'm open to the possibility of paranormal explanations but I wouldn't until I exhausted every other possibility. Too many unanswered questions here to call paranormal. 

But what about in the most challenging cases you have heard?

Could be a phone glitch. 

Mine does it on a regular basis, ring a contact and shows a different contact on my phone and shows a different contact on there phone. 

Not to sure about the voice though, maybe they were grumpy and just rolled with it.