Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Impossible phone call

UM-Bot

By: InTheShadows | Location: West Virginia

My girlfriend at the time worked opposite hours so she would call the house on her lunch and we would talk until she went back in. One day as usual the phone rings and the caller I.D shows her name and cell number.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/111936/impossible-phone-call

Interesting story. The only normal explanation would be that you were expecting the call so your mind produced all the sounds. But it is hard to believe you could have had a conversation with that much content.

I have heard other stories somewhat similar to this. One possibility is the doppelganger phenomena. From wiseGEEK: A doppelganger — also written "doppelgaenger" or "doubleganger" — is quite simply a double. It can be a ghost or physical apparition, but it is usually a source of psychological anxiety for the person who sees it. The word comes from the German Doppelgänger, literally meaning "double-goer,"

There have been convincing cases of this. One person whose double was seen by multiple witnesses claimed to feel like a washed-out version of themselves during the experience. And you mentioned your girlfriend sounded flat and unemotional during the call adding evidence to this theory.

Here's one story claiming to have many witnesses (up to 40), Emily Sagee    Here's an interesting sentence from that article: However, she did become strangely groggy and powerless during the times the doppelganger manifested, and the wraith was often seen doing things Sagee later said she had been thinking about at the moment, suggesting that she may have had some subliminal control over it.

Edited by papageorge1

What were you doing before answering the phone? 

Also, how long ago was this? Number spoofing is a big problem, telemarketers are doing it. I've had a few people call me asking why I called them. I hadn't. As a matter of fake I checked my recent calls each time to make sure I hadn't accidentally called.

Edited by SecretSanta

Someone could have cloned the phone and had her contacts or recent calls list?

1 hour ago, TripGun said:

Someone could have cloned the phone and had her contacts or recent calls list?

But that wouldn't explain it as it was the girlfriend's live voice.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

But that wouldn't explain it as it was the girlfriend's live voice.

Or he just assumed it was her. I got a phone call once (home phone, no caller ID) and talked to a lady for a few minutes before we both realized she had the wrong number. She sounded EXACTLY like my sister-in-law. 

Or he could have dreamed it if he was napping.

Maybe some day he will pop in and answer some questions.

10 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Or he just assumed it was her. I got a phone call once (home phone, no caller ID) and talked to a lady for a few minutes before we both realized she had the wrong number. She sounded EXACTLY like my sister-in-law. 

Or he could have dreamed it if he was napping.

Maybe some day he will pop in and answer some questions.

But his cell phone showed the girlfriend's name and number but the phone was in her room. So the wrong number hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense (it would really be a longshot for the content to have made sense too).

At this point I am really strong on my doppelganger hypothesis as explained in post #2.

But the thread was started by a bot so our e-friend probably doesn't have a clue we are talking about his weird call.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

But his cell phone showed the girlfriend's name and number but the phone was in her room. So the wrong number hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense (it would really be a longshot for the content to have made sense too).

At this point I am really strong on my doppelganger hypothesis as explained in post #2.

But the thread was started by a bot so our e-friend probably doesn't have a clue we are talking about his weird call.

Unless the number was cloned. Like I've said MY cell number has been used by telemarketers a few times.

3 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Unless the number was cloned. Like I've said MY cell number has been used by telemarketers a few times.

And the voice and content made sense too...?

Just wondering. Do you ever give paranormal explanations some reasonable chance?

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

And the voice and content made sense too...?

Just wondering. Do you ever give paranormal explanations some reasonable chance?

I'm open to the possibility of paranormal explanations but I wouldn't until I exhausted every other possibility. Too many unanswered questions here to call paranormal. 

9 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

I'm open to the possibility of paranormal explanations but I wouldn't until I exhausted every other possibility. Too many unanswered questions here to call paranormal. 

But what about in the most challenging cases you have heard?

Could be a phone glitch. 

Mine does it on a regular basis, ring a contact and shows a different contact on my phone and shows a different contact on there phone. 

Not to sure about the voice though, maybe they were grumpy and just rolled with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to be a few gaps in this story. I would've liked to have known what the girlfriend said about this. Maybe she was playing some kind of weird mind game with him. Funny how she just happened to apologise for leaving the phone at home...no I don't buy this..there's a lot more to this story. 

• Like 4

Just another fluffy annoying story with no significant details. Not even worth discussing really! 

UM-Bot needs an algorithm re-jig. 

• Like 4

I took a call once asking for my wife, who was out.  The caller was asking after an ornate vase she had up for sale.  We discussed the price and agreed a date for him to view it.  I then gave out our address, which is when things started going weird.

"That's my address!" he replied angrily.  I assured him it was ours, and after a while we determined we each lived at the same number on two streets several miles apart - Martin Drive and Martyn Drive.  Then he challenged me again: "The advert said So-and-so area: you're nowhere near that!"

I quickly checked my wife's advert and it made no such claim, so I corrected him.  He was adamant and read from his screen, and it was clearly a different advert.  On a detailed inspection it turned out he'd dialled the wrong number, reversing two digits and ending up with us.

SO: two people with the same name and virtually the same phone number put the same item up for sale.  The customer who mis-dialled had virtually the same address as us.  I might have checked for more coincidences but the caller was getting really confused and frustrated by this point and hung up on me.  Probably nothing to do with doppelgangers but it opened my eyes to the weird world of chance...

• Like 5

On 11/21/2017 at 3:51 PM, Timonthy said:

Just another fluffy annoying story with no significant details. Not even worth discussing really! 

UM-Bot needs an algorithm re-jig. 

I think people just presenting their unusual experiences is interesting myself.

It’s another anecdote for consideration in helping to understand the nature of reality.

In a case like this, no further ‘significant details’ after the fact would mean much to someone with an anti-paranormal bent.

The rest of us are interested in hearing interesting anecdotes from sincere sounding people. Keep the algorithm.

Though the unfortunate part is that these Bot story people are rarely back for follow-up discussion.

Edited by papageorge1

Did you guys ever hear that YouTube story in a 5 horrifying audio clips video? There was this guy who supposedly left a voicemail for himself from a dream. Spooky stuff. This kind of reminds me of that. Did you check her out going calls? And your incoming? I may be late on the ball asking I am not sure if I read all the comments yet...

Here is the YouTube link

https://youtu.be/L-8iMxsu1Uo