Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost playing with a balloon?

UM-Bot

By: Alty | Location: Australia

Hey! So today was my daughter's birthday and we had about 4 helium balloons left. All of them but 1 deflated and had sunk to the ground. The one that was left was annoying by moving around so I put it in the bedroom and kind of shut the door leaving it cracked a little. 

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/111941/ghost-playing-with-a-balloon

You may not have drafts but you are going to have air currents in your home. It doesn't take much for a balloon to move.

• Like 2

Too bad you don't have a video. I saw a video once of a balloon moving apparently on its own in a way that had significant symbolism for the event. You say other out of the ordinary things have been happening. I have been around plenty of helium balloons and they only move for easily detectable reasons. Nobody can say for sure, but I am thinking the paranormal is fairly likely here.

Edited by papageorge1

34 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Too bad you don't have a video. I saw a video once of a balloon moving apparently on its own in a way that had significant symbolism for the event. You say other out of the ordinary things have been happening. I have been around plenty of helium balloons and they only move for easily detectable reasons. Nobody can say for sure, but I am thinking the paranormal is fairly likely here.

Yes, but you think that everything is related to the paranormal papaG. Seriously, it was only a balloon. Balloons are extremely light, they are able to float and lightly move about on air currents / drafts. Iv'e seen balloons do this indoors at parties and functions that Iv'e hosted or attended.To think otherwise (as this being ghostly related) is just plain silly in my opinion.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yes, but you think that everything is related to the paranormal papaG. 

Not everything, but when most people relate a story on the internet they have considered the normal explanations to the best of their abilities.

6 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Seriously, it was only a balloon. Balloons are extremely light, they are able to float and lightly move about on air currents / drafts. Iv'e seen balloons do this indoors at parties and functions that Iv'e hosted or attended.

I can assure that I and the OP person are probably as aware of balloon behavior as you

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Not everything, but when most people relate a story on the internet they have considered the normal explanations to the best of their abilities.

I can assure that I and the OP person are probably as aware of balloon behavior as you

Nevertheless, this is just a story. If these people already have a strong mindset of belief in the paranormal, then it stands to good reason that even a floating balloon will be attached to some spooky goings on. In fact, I bet they attach many things as to being paranormal in their house...ie; from leaking taps, creaking doors, to bumps in the night. :ph34r:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Nevertheless, this is just a story. If these people already have a strong mindset of belief in the paranormal, then it stands to good reason that even a floating balloon will be attached to some spooky goings on. In fact, I bet they attach many things as to being paranormal in their house...ie; from leaking taps, creaking doors, to bumps in the night. :ph34r:

There's millions of competent people telling competent stories. Ae some point, believing they are always wrong becomes more unbelievable than the paranormal.

31 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

There's millions of competent people telling competent stories. Ae some point, believing they are always wrong becomes more unbelievable than the paranormal.

Ok...well I haven't read all of the 'millions' of stories that you speak of. If you have any true riveting ones, please share. I simply gave my opinion on this 'particular' story that UM-Bot popped in. There really is no need to get so defensive, just because I may not necessarily agree with your views. I think you may need to lighten up a bit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Astra. said:

Ok...well I haven't read all of the 'millions' of stories that you speak of. If you have any true riveting ones, please share. I simply gave my opinion on this 'particular' story that UM-Bot popped in. There really is no need to get so defensive, just because I may not necessarily agree with your views. I think you may need to lighten up a bit. 

You misread my intention. I wasn't even worked up, I was just making a serious logical point about numbers.

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

That have not. They usually haven’t considered a lot. It’s evident in nearly every thread like this on here. 

The important thing is an official pap meter rating?

Edit: (But it’s most definitely just a neutrally buoyant helium balloon behaving normally...)

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

The important thing is an official pap meter rating?

75% Paranormal ; 25% other

Just now, papageorge1 said:

75% Paranormal ; 25% other

There have been too many 75%’s lately. You might need to refine your algorithm?

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

Is there a Tim-meter reading?

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

You misread my intention. I wasn't even worked up, I was just making a serious logical point about numbers.

Fair enough, I'm glad to know that you weren't all worked up. As far as these millions of paranormal stories are concerned that you know of then....are you able to provide at least one that is 'truly' puzzling that is extremely difficult to explain ?....surely there is at least one ?

12 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Hmm, I like that word. We should make that 'word of the day' me thinks :P...

• Like 1

Folks, let's not derail yet another thread with the same old argument of asking for stories or proofs that have nothing to with the topic please. Let's discuss the balloon nicely and courteously.

1 minute ago, Astra. said:

Fair enough, I'm glad to know that you weren't all worked up. As far as these millions of paranormal stories are concerned that you know of then....are you able to provide at least one that is 'truly' puzzling that is extremely difficult to explain ?....surely there is at least one ?

No sense in spending too much time debating any one anecdotal case as it could painfully go on forever. It is the quantity, quality and consistency of millions of events throughout human history that has convinced me.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Is there a Tim-meter reading?

Lol oh no, now I have a meter? Let’s see, it looks like the Tim-meter is very convincingly on 99.9% regular helium balloon buoyancy activity, 0.01% paranormal. 

57 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Hmm, I like that word. We should make that 'word of the day' me thinks :P...

I’m happy with that! :tu:

56 minutes ago, rashore said:

Folks, let's not derail yet another thread with the same old argument of asking for stories or proofs that have nothing to with the topic please. Let's discuss the balloon nicely and courteously.

I’m a little disheartened that we don’t know the colour. Can someone get hold of the author to confirm?

And in all seriousness, a neutrally buoyant helium balloon can be moved quite dramatically by seemingly nonexistent movements of air, thermal variations, static electricity etc. so IMHO, that’s all it is. 

• Like 1

What almost everyone is saying....

Let's look at this first scientifically  (I'm really, really sorry to do this papa...)

1. Does a helium balloon have any significant inertia, ie mass?
Well, obviously not.  The rubber membrane weighs oh say 3g, and the air/helium mixture, maybe a gram.. (remember we are talking mass not weight.  It has negative weight, because of the air it's in....)  Anyway, as inertia goes, in other words the balloon's resistance to being moved, it's virtually non-existent.  The tiniest puff of breath will move it, as anyone who was genuinely familiar with balloons would already know.

2. Does a helium balloon get restrained by any friction?
Well, the only thing it is touching is air and perhaps a tiny portion of the ceiling.  And even that tiny ceiling-contact involves just a tiny upward force (less force=less friction) and can be easily overcome just by the balloon rolling slightly.. so again, no significant friction exists.

So, will tiny air movements move the balloon easily?  Of course they will.  Are there air movements in a typical room?  Of course there are, even from your breathing or small movements, or temperature imbalances, or drafts under doors or thru windows or vents..

If anyone really wants some numbers, I can probably dig them up, but see below for an example of a way you can easily test this...

Secondly, let me look at this from a more personal viewpoint, as a person who loves acting like a child and who owns their very own helium cylinder and has lots of balloons to play with (just $39 at my nearest K-#@&+ store in the Party section - I heartily recommend it for those still young at heart...).  I really do have lots of experience with helium balloons - I especially like getting them to as near neutral bouyancy as possible...

I guess i should really prove all that with a video - I shall consider it (but no chipmunk voices will be included - I do not condone that 'use' of helium and it can be dangerous if you are not careful)..

Even in a still room with doors shut and no windows open, and even after waiting for ten minutes, I have watched helium balloons still moving about.  Just by waving my hand in one corner of the room, if you wait, you may well see the balloon in the opposite corner move.. it may be  several seconds later, as the remnants of that air movement reach it and push it along...  And just the random movements of air molecules from the temperature differentials that happen in any reasonable sized volume of air will easily be enough.

For a simple test, get yourself a stick of incense.  Stand still in the middle of a room while holding it, and watch the smoke.  Does it go straight up, or always in the same direction...?  Move around and test various areas of the room...   Any questions? 

No ghost.  Tiny air movements.  100%, no silly meters required.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Let's look at this first scientifically  (I'm really, really sorry to do this papa...)

My opinion is that the OP person is well aware of how balloons normally behave.

34 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

My opinion is that the OP person is well aware of how balloons normally behave.

Oh gosh, so even after ChrLzs  went into more methodical detail in reference to how helium balloon(s) and all the differing reasons why they may gently move and float around because of differing air disturbances.... (lets also not forget about air conditioning) and that is still what your opinion is ?...

Also, I really don't think that the OP person is aware of how balloons behave on air, because he/she obviously jumped to the conclusion that a spirit / ghost must / may have been responsible.

Iv'e been known to pin-pop annoying floating balloons after the festivities are over....or set them free on a breeze outside, as they can get rather irritating while they aimlessly float about inside the house :yes:...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Iv'e been known to pin-pop annoying floating balloons after the festivities are over....or set them free on a breeze outside, as they can get rather irritating while they aimlessly float about inside the house :yes:...

I just turn my ceiling fan onto high.. 

It's good way to test your nerves - just keep looking downwards - sometimes it may take several minutes for the air flow to reach them and ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

It is the quantity, quality and consistency of millions of events throughout human history that has convinced me.

Sorry, I just noticed this. Fair enough, you are entitled to have your own personal beliefs on things, as we all are.

But of course it's also very important to stay well grounded, by using our logic in the best way we can. 

12 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I just turn my ceiling fan onto high.. 

It's good way to test your nerves - just keep looking downwards - sometimes it may take several minutes for the air flow to reach them and ...

...run for cover  :D..