Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When you die you KNOW you're dead

seeder

If so....and how can it ever be proven... how terrible..

When you die you KNOW you're dead: Scientists discover the mind still works after the body shows no sign of life and reveal people have heard their own death announced by medics

A person's consciousness continues to work after the body has died, study finds
    Someone has died may even hear their own death being announced by medics
    Researchers say people's recollections have been verified by medical staff
    Time of death is called when heart stops beating, cutting off blood to brain
    Cerebral cortex flatlines and within 2-20 seconds no brainwaves are detected
    This sparks the death of brain cells but this can take hours after
    Findings echo plot line of new Hollywood re-make of cult horror Flatliners

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4992712/When-die-KNOW-dead-mind-works.html#ixzz4vsNFfcap

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Perhaps it's not so terrible, perhaps ones consciousness simply goes elsewhere after death?

We'll all know at some point.

"The undiscovered country from whose bourn

No traveler returns, puzzles the will" ~Shakespeare~

"And makes us rather bear those ills we have, than fly to others that we know not of." 

• Like 4

"To die, to sleep, no more, and by a sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished; to die to sleep--to sleep perchance to dream--aye, there's the rub; for in that sleep of death what dreams may come....."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, seeder said:

... how terrible..

The fact that you say 'how terrible' makes me wonder if you misinterpreted the article. It was a study led by Dr. Sam Parnia, a prominent proponent of the Near Death Experience showing consciousness continues after death. Higher brain functioning is required to 

Study author Dr Sam Parnia told Live Science: 'They'll describe watching doctors and nurses working and they'll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them.'

For example, they are seeing things but not  through their closed physical eyes. Something paranormal is going on is what he is implying.

1 hour ago, seeder said:

If so....and how can it ever be proven... 

It is proven by their ability to relate events to the doctors that would otherwise not be known to them (as in the classic NDE).

To me one final piece of evidence that consciousness is not dependent on the physical would be spirit communication even years after death (another subject).

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 6

Here's hoping it's not like this: "Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

• Like 7

"you may be a king, or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later, you dance with the reaper" -Bill and Teds excellent adventure lol 

• Like 3

Well this article is suitably terrifying. Forgive me if I never sleep again.

• Like 1

I remember reading about a man who, before his beheading, promised to blink if he was experiencing consciousness after the event. Witnesses said he blinked for more than a minute after separation.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thelion318 said:

I remember reading about a man who, before his beheading, promised to blink if he was experiencing consciousness after the event. Witnesses said he blinked for more than a minute after separation.

Chickens run around after being beheaded. 

Just sayin’

• Like 2

ouija ouija already posted this news in my topic: Consciousness Without Brain Activity.

2 hours ago, thelion318 said:

I am sure I read somewhere that it had been decided that after beheading you can remain aware for up to 13 seconds (hope I have remembered the number correctly).  Apparently Ann Boleyn's lips were seen to continue moving for a short while.  She had been reciting prayers as she died.  As CPR it supposed to be started within three or so minutes of cardiac arrest (for instance) to minimise brain damage I don't see anything odd about awareness for a few minutes, at least, after death.  Residual oxygen in the brain won't dissipate in a nano second after cardiac death.  Fascinating subject.

• Like 4

True, death is really not immediate. But, the lack of oxygen leads to hypoxia and we can see parallels where in high altitude chamber testing, many people experience a sense of euphoria and well-being. Not a bad send-off at all, thank you, God.

• Like 4

We seem to have a good idea of  what consciousness looks like in terms of brain electrical activity. If this activity 'flatlines' within seconds of the heartbeat stopping, then it appears that consciousness can exist independent of the working of the brain. Trying to suggest that the brain is, in some mysterious, unknown way, creating consciousness, even when it is electrically inactive, appears unjustified.

What if consciousness inhabits the brain and in doing so causes certain electrical activity in it? What if consciousness moves away from the body at the time of death, and so ceases to cause this electrical activity?

A rough analogy might be made to a radio receiver. It can convey intelligence, but only when acted upon by an external, intelligently caused force that enters into it.     

Edited by bison
improved word choice for clarity
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, bison said:

If this activity 'flatlines' within seconds of the heartbeat stopping, then it appears that consciousness can exist independent of the working of the brain. 

I'm not sure how you came up with this.

• Like 4

On 10/18/2017 at 5:01 PM, Podo said:

Well this article is suitably terrifying. Forgive me if I never sleep again.

Actually, I saw the headline and didn't read it yesterday because it freaked me out.  But, now I'm so happy I did because it just means that we go on as I've always believed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

I'm not sure how you came up with this.

The article states that they have lucid, and correct accounts from revived patients, of what they heard and even saw (yet with their eyes closed) well after brain electrical activity associated with being conscious had ceased. These accounts are reportedly detailed enough to convey conviction that the patients really were conscious. If the brain was not in a conscious state, yet the patients were fully aware of their surroundings, the natural inference seems to be that consciousness was separate from the brain at that time. 

• Like 2

Just now, bison said:

The article states that they have lucid, and correct accounts from revived patients, of what they heard and even saw (yet with their eyes closed) well after brain electrical activity associated with being conscious had ceased. These accounts are reportedly detailed enough to convey conviction that the patients really were conscious. If the brain was not in a conscious state, yet the patients were fully aware of their surroundings, the natural inference seems to be that consciousness was separate from the brain at that time. 

What does flat lining within seconds have to do with it?

• Like 2

'Flatlining' refers to cessation of electrical activity in, and beating of, the heart, and within seconds of that, cessation of electrical activity in the brain associated with being conscious. Since we know what the electrical activity of a conscious brain and an unconscious one look like, and how they differ, this is germane to determining if a patient is conscious or not, at a given point in time.   

heres something that happened to me once

I was fast asleep.....dreaming....but I became aware of a weird rhythmic rasping sound

mentally....I became absolutely awake......but hadnt opened my eyes.....and then realised, that rasping noise was ME....snoring...

I could feel my chest rise and fall with deep breaths, I heard myself snoring....my body felt like a dead weight....I was....both asleep yet conscious of being asleep...physically anyway

I found it so weird....and a little funny.....then I FELT my face smile at my thoughts....tho I hadnt intended or tried to smile... I laid there ands realised that although physically deep asleep and snoring....I was mentally fully aware of it....it was quite weird....but cool

since that time Ive researched it....it happens often and to many people.....and its so strange to experience being aware....of being totally asleep.....knowing youre in your body.....but feeling separate from it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJNYC said:

Actually, I saw the headline and didn't read it yesterday because it freaked me out.  But, now I'm so happy I did because it just means that we go on as I've always believed.  

It suggests that we might persist. Nothing has been proven.

Only thing i hope for when death is near that my anxiety isnt there. If it isnt there and i am somehow calm and at peace then i will be fine.

We at least have some evidence pointing to the possibility that consciousness can exist outside the brain. What evidence is there that the brain itself can create consciousness, even when the electrical activity supporting it has ceased? 

Edited by bison
added clarifying word
  • Like 2