Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A story about New Zealand

Kismit

Recently several members have expressed the idea that they know very little about New Zealand.

In this one news story you can actually gain a lot of insight into Kiwi politics, a little insight into a hidden Kiwi gem in American movies at the moment, and the reality of our nation.

New Zealand is undergoing the same political divides, that are prevalent in most of the world today. But I recommend people read the story and watch the video.  Research some of the topics if you want to, but digest as much as you can about the whole piece.

New Zealand is it good?

• Like 5

I always pictured it more like this.

Just kidding Kismit, thank you for the share.  Don't you love the way the guy is labeled a traitor for being critical of policy and of poor planning?

• Like 7

I'm not "proud to be a Canadian" either because I'm not that proud of many aspects of my nation's history.

I just consider myself "lucky to have been born Canadian" when I see what people in many other countries are going through. I do love my country for offering me the opportunities it did though, through no fault of my own..

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Recently several members have expressed the idea that they know very little about New Zealand.

In this one news story you can actually gain a lot of insight into Kiwi politics, a little insight into a hidden Kiwi gem in American movies at the moment, and the reality of our nation.

New Zealand is undergoing the same political divides, that are prevalent in most of the world today. But I recommend people read the story and watch the video.  Research some of the topics if you want to, but digest as much as you can about the whole piece.

New Zealand is it good?

I'm one of those members who expressed unknowing anything about NZ.

New Zealand to me:

latest?cb=20070806215413

• Like 5

Yes  ZZ, a lot  of people associate NZ with middle earth. I live in the part of the country it was filmed in. Many people including my eldest son were a part of the films.

But our political lives and our issues are almost identical to America, Australia, and Europe. In this case though it is the liberal voice being censored by the media. But it's not a conspiracy it'seems just Duncan Garner being opinionated (wrong) but jus to expressing opinion.

Also I am looking forward to seeing Thor, Ragnorak. It should be a good film. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Yes  ZZ, a lot  of people associate NZ with middle earth. I live in the part of the country it was filmed in. Many people including my eldest son were a part of the films.

But our political lives and our issues are almost identical to America, Australia, and Europe. In this case though it is the liberal voice being censored by the media. But it's not a conspiracy it'seems just Duncan Garner being opinionated (wrong) but jus to expressing opinion.

Also I am looking forward to seeing Thor, Ragnorak. It should be a good film. 

Very cool!

Beautiful country. The memorable scenes that really stand out for me are the snow covered peaks in the background.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Very cool!

Beautiful country. The memorable scenes that really stand out for me are the snow covered peaks in the background.

I can see those from my lounge.  Still some snow on them( just checked). 

I didn't really like the films that much, the story line felt like it was over ridden by the special effects.

But it was a better showcase of New Zealand than the original King Kong. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I always pictured it more like this.

Just kidding Kismit, thank you for the share.  Don't you love the way the guy is labeled a traitor for being critical of policy and of poor planning?

Lol I've never seen this before. Havery you ever seen the movie Black Sheep?

"B" grade Kiwi horror 

• Like 2

My next door neighbour lady when I was growing up was a Kiwi (part Maori).

I loved her and her accent, though her vegemite sandwiches I could have done without. :blink:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

My next door neighbour lady when I was growing up was a Kiwi (part Maori).

I loved her and her accent, though her vegemite sandwiches I could have done without. :blink:

Kiwis eat marmite. It's like veggiemite but not as good. I'm actually a born and bread Australian, we eat vegiemite. I believe that helped me survive the marmite shortage of 2014. Known as Marmaggeddon. Marmite v's Vegiemite, it's a controversial subject.

Also Black Sheep the movie. 

• Like 5

• Like 1

And my favourite: 

And last one:

:D 

Edited by ExpandMyMind

6 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

John Oliver loves taking the Mick out of New Zealand. And he is just so darn good at. I love it.

• Like 1

Speaking of lovely New Zealand, they've just welcomed in their new Prime Minister.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-19/new-zealand-first-forms-coaltion-with-labour-jacinda-ardern/9067264

Jacinda Ardern will become the country's third female prime minister, after New Zealand First leader Winston Peters threw his support behind Labour to form a coalition government and end nearly a decade of National rule

• Like 1

Yes Astra, in the oddest election I have ever seen. My least favorite politician of all time, Winston Peter's,  (ex-treasurer who went into hiding and refused to let anyone see the financial books he was keeping) loved by a small group of racist elderly people, presumably with altshiemers got to chose on behalf of the whole country because he held the deciding portion of votes. Lying, scheming piece of. ....

But at least he chose my current favorite politician, hopefully she didn't concede too much power and policy in the negotiations.

And this makes female Priminister number 3 for New Zealand.

This election also showed Kiwis at their most Kiwi-ness.

The country had no real Government for just over 2 weeks. And nobody really cared, laid back, she'll  be right, beached as bro

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Yes Astra, in the oddest election I have ever seen.

What Kismit ? even more odder than the 2016 US election...surely not :lol:..

My least favorite politician of all time, Winston Peter's,  (ex-treasurer who went into hiding and refused to let anyone see the financial books he was keeping) loved by a small group of racist elderly people, presumably with altshiemers got to chose on behalf of the whole country because he held the deciding portion of votes. Lying, scheming piece of. ....

Gosh that's unbelievable. Isn't it amazing how corruption rules in one way or another in politics? It seems to be a universal trend. I haven't been following much of NZ's politics. The commercial news outlets rarely mentions what's going on with our good neighbours across the pond. The ABC is the best one that seems to keep us mostly informed.

But at least he chose my current favorite politician, hopefully she didn't concede too much power and policy in the negotiations.

The country had no real Government for just over 2 weeks. And nobody really cared, laid back, she'll  be right, beached as bro

Glad to know that you're happy with the new PM. Being younger, she might also bring in some new and fresh ideas for the country. I hope she does really well for the folk there.

We love NZ, we've always had a great time when we've gone over for a stay. It's a beautiful country, and the scenery is gorgeous. Hope to get back there for a visit soon. Also, one of my favourite Kiwi actors lives there too... Sam Neill :wub:..

Hey, I hope you've still got your aussie accent Kismit :D...

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

I worked with a lady from Christchurch, for several years. Her English sounded similar to Australian with a subtle difference to her I's and E's and an underlying, almost musical lilt that was quite pleasing to the ear. From the outside, at least, it seems an idyllic place, almost "The Shire" of the English-speaking world in fact.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kismit said:

Yes Astra, in the oddest election I have ever seen. My least favorite politician of all time, Winston Peter's,  (ex-treasurer who went into hiding and refused to let anyone see the financial books he was keeping) loved by a small group of racist elderly people, presumably with altshiemers got to chose on behalf of the whole country because he held the deciding portion of votes. Lying, scheming piece of. ....

I can almpst imagine the NZ Civil Service, in a very “Yes, Minister” sort of way talking about these last two weeks as the most productive two weeks they’ve had in years.

26 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I can almpst imagine the NZ Civil Service, in a very “Yes, Minister” sort of way talking about these last two weeks as the most productive two weeks they’ve had in years.

Hahaha, true. Everything ticked along nicely without a government, perhaps the powers that be should take note.

I think pretty much all I know about New Zealand is summed up in Flight of the Conchords.

Otherwise, I know they have some interesting wildlife and birds, and that there are Maori people. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Oh...and I heard they drive on the wrong side of the road.

On 10/18/2017 at 4:08 PM, Kismit said:

Kiwis eat marmite. It's like veggiemite but not as good. I'm actually a born and bread Australian, we eat vegiemite. I believe that helped me survive the marmite shortage of 2014. Known as Marmaggeddon. Marmite v's Vegiemite, it's a controversial subject.

Also Black Sheep the movie. 

LOL...get ready...for the violence...of the lambs...

• Like 1