Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's deepest lake crippled by putrid algae

Still Waters

Holding one-fifth of the world’s unfrozen fresh water, Baikal in Russia’s Siberia is a natural wonder of “exceptional value to evolutionary science” meriting its listing as a world heritage site by Unesco.

Baikal’s high biodiversity includes over 3,600 plant and animal species, most of which are endemic to the lake.

Over the past several years, however, the lake, a major international tourist attraction, has been crippled by a series of detrimental phenomena, some of which remain a mystery to scientists.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/19/lake-baikal-russia-crippled-algae-fish-poaching-pollution

• Like 3

Local fishery biologist Anatoly Mamontov said the decrease is likely caused by uncontrollable fish poaching, with extra pressure coming from the climate.

Move along, folks. Nothing to see here. 

• Like 3

We're our own worst enemies when it comes to the environment. It's rather ironic really. In many cases, we cause the damage, then we have the audacity to whine about it after the gates been closed, when the horse has bolted. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 6

Tourists have screwed it up pretty good too. Like they do at the Jersey Shore or in the Barrens.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 4:34 AM, Astra. said:

We're our own worst enemies when it comes to the environment. It's rather ironic really. In many cases, we cause the damage, then we have the audacity to whine about it after the gates been closed, when the horse has bolted. 

That pretty much explains the question of what it means to be a human lol

• Like 1

On 23/10/2017 at 6:10 AM, Piney said:

Tourists have screwed it up pretty good too. Like they do at the Jersey Shore or in the Barrens.

Yeah, tourists are a funny breed of animal (not all, but a lot are) They rarely poop in their own nests from where ever they come from. In many cases they save it for when visiting tourist hot spots or other nice places, without any regard to the mess (litter) or other damage they leave behind for the local community to have to clean up.    

• Like 1

Just now, Astra. said:

Yeah, tourists are a funny breed of animal (not all, but a lot are) They rarely poop in their own nests from where ever they come from.  

That's why the ocean on the Jersey Shore has a average 600 ppm fecal coliform count, which is actually more than the water in a unflushed toilet

1 minute ago, Piney said:

That's why the ocean on the Jersey Shore has a average 600 ppm fecal coliform count, which is actually more than the water in a unflushed toilet

That's horrible.

Just now, Astra. said:

That's horrible.

Hey, I don't swim it. I want to see my feet where I wade.

• Like 1

I like this part of the article best:

“When you take a dead sponge to the surface it smells like a corpse.”

Well, it kind of is.