Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christ's orb mystery in da Vinci painting

Still Waters

11 hours ago, oldrover said:

Personally, I'm very familar with his work, and with his pupils, as in followers, and fairly familiar with some of the works 'after' him. Amd that's what this is. It looks a padtiche of his work. And I don't accept the pupil, as in eye, suggestion above. 

This is a fairly competent style of Leonardo painting. 

I too have trouble accepting the 'eye' suggestions as set forth by Christie's.  As you know by now, I do think the work authentic to DaVinci, so there we must disagree.  I have personally thought, since 2011 when I first saw the cleaned picture, that paint losses (likely dating from long ago, due to abrasive mishandling of some sort) resulted in revelation of pentimenti in the pupils, giving them this unnatural appearance so very obvious in the present condition.  However, the restorers declare no losses here, but I would suggest that a damaged condition was likely the primary reason for the old overpainting of the face. 

• Like 3

It's probably one of Leo's many 'unfinished' body of work, he was notoriously slow and was ever late to complete any one piece of painting, or sculpture or whatever. Took him years and in a few cases .. decades.

Even now whether most of his works were actually 'completed' is debatable. 

~

5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Leonardo da Vinci

Dec 18, 2014 - This chalk drawing by da Vinci is believed to be a self portrait. ... Da Vinci was a notoriously slow painter, and many of his works were never ...
Jul 18, 2017 - Painter, writer, inventor, sculptor, musician – Leonardo da Vinci was one .... The foremost of which was that da Vinci's remarkably slow process ...

Artists have been riffing on Leonardo da Vinci's “The Last Supper” for decades, from Salvador Dali's 1955 painting to Brazilian artist Vik Muniz's chocolate-syrup ...

~

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Latest:

Saudi crown prince 'is real buyer' of painting by Leonardo da Vinci

US intelligence identifies Mohammed bin Salman, powerful heir to Saudi throne, as man behind $450m purchase at auction

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/dec/07/world-record-da-vinci-painting-to-be-exhibited-at-louvre-abu-dhabi

• Like 1