Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents could legally “mail” their children

Still Waters

We’ve learned that in 1913, when young parents wanted to get some time for themselves and send the children to their grandparents, there was a much easier, cheaper, and more effective way than traveling all the way themselves with children in tow. The time-saving shortcut was simple: mail the baby. Yes, that’s right. In 1913 it was legal to mail children–but was it appropriate?

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/10/19/until-1915-u-s-parents-could-legally-mail-their-children-through-the-postal-service/

• Like 4

Holy smokes that's insane!  Maybe I'm just a disturbed person but I can't help but think that some of those children underwent horrifying experiences.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Holy smokes that's insane!  Maybe I'm just a disturbed person but I can't help but think that some of those children underwent horrifying experiences.

Considering the time they lived in and the time we live in, I think it was very VERY different. 

3 minutes ago, Keel M. said:

Considering the time they lived in and the time we live in, I think it was very VERY different. 

Really?  So you think perverts just started molesting children after 1915? 

Who wouldn't trust their child to guy with an honest face like this

2584174182_ffd5c24905_b-405x640.jpg

Straight out of a horror movie.

Edited by OverSword

There's no way of knowing if the children were in safe hands or not, their parents must have thought so. 

This is from the Smithsonian:

But while the odd practice of sometimes slipping kids into the mail might be seen as incompetence or negligence on the part of the mail carriers, Lynch sees it more as an example of just how much rural communities relied on and trusted local postal workers.

“Mail carriers were trusted servants, and that goes to prove it,” Lynch says. “There are stories of rural carriers delivering babies and taking [care of the] sick. Even now, they’ll save lives because they’re sometimes the only persons that visit a remote household every day.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/brief-history-children-sent-through-mail-180959372/

• Like 1