Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The forest birds captured for their song

Still Waters

Lush green blankets of vegetation drape over Java's steep mountains. 

But these dense rain forests - on Indonesia’s most crowded island - are rapidly falling silent.

Tuneful songbirds that used to give the mountains a unique melody are being caught and sold.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/sold_for_a_song

• Like 1

I don't consider birds, lizards or snakes house pets. They should be left alone in their environment. Even when I rescue a squirrel deer of rabbit it gets released when it can care for itself. 

• Like 2

Its the buyers market madness ... singing birds been relatively unmolested for tens of thousands if not millions of years, I don't care how great a bird sings from inside a cage, if you've heard one out in the wild then you'll know any bird in a cage pales by comparison. Its like hearing Celine Dion on a stage standing just meters away or having her sing all chained up in your basement.

~

• Like 1

My grandmother always had a budgie, she lived by herself so it was company for her. She'd leave the cage open several times a day for the budgie to have a fly around her living room and it would also sit on her shoulder. She got quite attached to her budgies and would get really upset when they died.

Birds aren't meant to live in cages though, I prefer to see and hear them in the wild.

• Like 1