Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas town links hurricane aid to Israel

Gromdor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/20/texas-town-makes-hurricane-harvey-aid-applicants-pledge-not-to-boycott-israel/?tid=a_inl

Did Israel open an outlet store in Dickerson, Texas or something?  The whole concept is bizarre.  It's like Texas owes fealty to Israel over it's own citizens.  Is California going to link their forest fire aid to the Palestinians next?

My wife's company gets GPS trackers from a company in Israel,  It's good to know that it is against Texas law for them to boycott her. 

Edited by Gromdor

Several states are simply addressing the injustice of BDS against Jews in Israel.  Kind of reminiscent of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_boycott_of_Jewish_businesses

The anti-Semitism in Europe is growing so fast that before long, Jews will have to flee if they want to survive.  It is disgusting and it's becoming more prevalent in the U.S. as well.  I'm not accusing you of it, Gromdor.  I'm just pointing out why some states are trying to stop or at least slow the spread of this poison.  Make no mistake, before the Jews will burn again, we ALL will be in the fire as well.

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It has to do with Christian theology, Evangelical Christians and their beliefs about the place of Israel in the overall scheme of things.

Here's Pat Robertson's statement on it: http://patrobertson.com/Speeches/IsraelLauder.asp

(personally, I think it's abhorrent that they're tying the recovery effort to this belief.)

I think it's ridiculous to even try to make the point in this setting.  There is no way the government in Houston or Austin could even KNOW who was refusing to buy Israeli goods.  As to the BDS crowd, they should have the right to boycott Israeli goods but they should be shown up for the hypocrites they are if they use cell phones, PCs or storage media like SD chips - most of the best of those products are developed and manufactured in Israel.  Israel is a tech powerhouse but they could literally CURE all cancer and they'd still be hated.

• Like 1

Well, this is plain wrong. Either there is an agenda, or the Town's legal department has made a serious mistake. 

It is illegal in Texas for a state institution to engage in BDS against Israel. However, these applications are for individual people to get grants to repair damage etc arising from the Hurricanes. To attempt to comply them to forego personal BDS protests is a HUGE violation of the Constitution. 

Curiously, nobody has found a way to blame this on Donald Trump yet... but.... early days :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Curiously, nobody has found a way to blame this on Donald Trump yet... but.... early days

Very tempted to give you odds he inadvertently takes responsibility himself - via twitter maybe - "great idea in Texas - just like I told them" or sometthing like that.

Edited by RAyMO

6 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Very tempted to give you odds he inadvertently takes responsibility himself - via twitter maybe - "great idea in Texas - just like I told them" or sometthing like that.

Hee hee hee..... I won't take that bet :D

• Like 1