Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are dogs trying to tell us something?

Still Waters

Dogs have been part of human social groups for at least 30,000 years. So it’s not unreasonable to suppose that we might have had some influence on their behaviour, and perhaps their understanding, during that time. We certainly know that dogs have developed ways to communicate with us, for example by whining when they are distressed or barking to alert us to intruders.

Many dog owners would probably say their pets can even tell us things using facial expressions, just like humans do. But is that really true? 

https://theconversation.com/are-dogs-trying-to-tell-us-something-with-their-expressions-86008

IMO dogs try to communicate with us via body language far more often, but there are some facial expression that do convey their emotions.

• Like 1

There are indeed some expressions my dog makes that i have learned to connect with feelings or desires of my dog. It could be my imagination ( was thinking it at first ) but when it repeats numerous times i know its true. In 7 years of Don's life i believe he has shown guilt for maybe two times ( little b****** :D ) i have to work on it more.

There is surely more to life and equality between feelings and perception of the world than we think. Fact that we are not able to communicate with any other species tells us more about us than about animals but one day someone will come up with another approach and things will be more clear.

• Like 1

Sure. Dogs can look sad, scared, happy, angry, sleepy, etc. 

Anyone who ever had a dog, or any reasonable amount of contact with one, should know that. 

• Like 1

Dogs are good but Parrots can talk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Dogs are good but Parrots can talk

Talk or imitate? I had a little plum head parakeet and he could imitate my daughter but he would only do it when she was near by if I walked in the room he would immediately whistle a tune I taught him,and it went on dogs barking, while like a canary even my old neighbour's car stating up . Sorry went of thread there apologies for that. 

19 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Sure. Dogs can look sad, scared, happy, angry, sleepy, etc. 

Anyone who ever had a dog, or any reasonable amount of contact with one, should know that. 

If you've ever watched a dog wandering the garden with a bone in it's mouth looking for a hidey place....the expression is one of pure craftiness and guilt as it sneaks round hoping nobody will spot what it's up to.

19 hours ago, quiXilver said:

dogs have eyebrows

Look close my Saluki does

9222017162919.jpg

40 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Your dog wants steak.

He knows what it's like to want lol

• Like 1