Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is space?

Still Waters

Mountains. Whales. The distant stars. All these things exist in space, and so do we. Our bodies take up a certain amount of space. When we walk to work, we are moving through space. But what is space? Is it even an actual, physical entity? In 1717, a battle was waged over this question. Exactly 300 years later, it continues.

https://theconversation.com/what-is-space-the-300-year-old-philosophical-battle-that-is-still-raging-today-85628

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Mountains. Whales. The distant stars. All these things exist in space, and so do we. Our bodies take up a certain amount of space. When we walk to work, we are moving through space. But what is space? Is it even an actual, physical entity? In 1717, a battle was waged over this question. Exactly 300 years later, it continues.

https://theconversation.com/what-is-space-the-300-year-old-philosophical-battle-that-is-still-raging-today-85628

Is space consciousness? I don't know but great question to ponder. Does a dream take up any space?

• Like 1

emptiness and form are forever linked...  defining each other

one of my favorite verses of the Tao Te Ching... 11

roughly paraphrased it reads:

We shape clay into a cup, but it is the empty space inside that holds what we drink.

We shape spokes into a wheel, but it is the empty space at the core of the hub, that allows the wheel to spin.

We shape wood into a house, but it is the empty space inside, in which we live.

The usefulness of form derives from the emptiness of non form.

Edited by quiXilver
typo
  • Like 2

Thanks Still, that was Very interesting.  I like the relationalist 's  ideas....the first guy. (spaced out his name already! )

I think (no place) becomes (someplace) when energy moves.  I don't really know why I think that....but I do,ok?

• Like 1

The problem with space, is that modern science due to Einstein, believes that space is something that can be physically acted upon, despite the fact that they describe space as empty and void of anything. How can the mass of "something" cause a dip or indention in "nothing" ? The very idea of a fabric of space that can be warped is beyond preposterous. Space is similar to a shadow, which IS something, but does not act upon anything and in turn is not acted upon. Shadow angles can be changed because of the surface the shadow is on, space has no surface, what is being warped? And how is time linked in to this metaphorical fabric? 

• Like 1

My video on gravity hypothesizes what space is: 

8 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Is space consciousness?

I would say that it is. But basically a whole Universe is consciousness. But that needs to be elaborated. Hopefully in a next post i'll try to write something more about it.

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 2

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/forum/f14n03p191_time-duration-and-the-eternal-now.htm

http://theosophy.wiki/w-en/index.php?title=Space

These articles may serve as a decent source material for further speculation about a nature of Space, Time and the Universe.

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Does a dream take up any space?

Interesting question.

• Like 1

Let’s start with a concept of the Absolute. Our current human mind cannot grasp this concept in its full sense. Our mind perceives only in limited, conditional mode. Everything which we can perceive, including ourselves, and still cannot perceive is but an Aspect of this Absolute. And everything is  conscious, only on different levels, or vibrations, if you like. This Absolute is not temporal, which is again something we can’t really grasp since we are bound to think in past-present-future mode. Absolute transcends opposites, and we need opposites to make distinctions of things, and thus make any sense of reality. We need a different kind of organ to sense this Absolute through spiritual intuition. Some propose that this organ is so called “third eye", which we indeed do possess but only in its latent state.

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Are you absolutely sure about that ?

Not even closely.

• Like 1

Absolute in verses:

The Tao that can be trodden is not the enduring and
unchanging Tao. The name that can be named is not the enduring and
unchanging name.

(Conceived of as) having no name, it is the Originator of heaven
and earth; (conceived of as) having a name, it is the Mother of all
things.

Always without desire we must be found,
If its deep mystery we would sound;
But if desire always within us be,
Its outer fringe is all that we shall see.

Under these two aspects, it is really the same; but as development
takes place, it receives the different names. Together we call them
the Mystery. Where the Mystery is the deepest is the gate of all that
is subtle and wonderful.

Space is more like a piece of window glass than ideal Newtonian emptiness. It is filled with 'stuff' that is normally transparent but can be made visible by hitting it sufficiently hard to knock out a part. The modern concept of the vacuum of space, confirmed every day by experiment, is a relativistic ether. But we do not call it this because it is taboo.”

Robert Betts Laughlin, Nobel Laureate in Physics .

2 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Space is more like a piece of window glass than ideal Newtonian emptiness. It is filled with 'stuff' that is normally transparent but can be made visible by hitting it sufficiently hard to knock out a part. The modern concept of the vacuum of space, confirmed every day by experiment, is a relativistic ether. But we do not call it this because it is taboo.”

Robert Betts Laughlin, Nobel Laureate in Physics .

Exactly. And the current gravitational model would make much more sense if they would just admit that there is a universal medium present no matter where you are, which can be acted upon by the mass of something else. However, as long as they portray space as a void, it makes no sense how it can be warped or acted upon. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Argon said:

I would say that it is. But basically a whole Universe is consciousness. But that needs to be elaborated. Hopefully in a next post i'll try to write something more about it.

Yes I do agree that in my opinion the whole universe is consciousness and maybe to even get more elaborate I would further state the universe is vibration or frequency in scales made up of infinite octaves of frequencies. I also have the thought that besides our universe there could be an infinite number of other universes besides ours. This is all just speculation of coarse on my part.

8 hours ago, Mr. Argon said:

Interesting question.

Yes I would assume a dream has to take space somewhere. Maybe in the Akashic records as they are called.

on second thought... changed my mind

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lilly said:

I have the definitive answer : What is space? It's the final frontier. Star Trek wouldn't lie.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, Still Waters said:

Things need both a location in order to exist and non-location (everywhere else).

Both your location and non-location are in a relationship with you. This relationship means you are instantaneously gaining certain information about everywhere else in the universe. Specifically that you are here not everywhere else. Information gained non-locally instead of classically.

However space is much more than location and non-location.

Things need to be made of something in order to exist. Matter and energy. Matter and energy are existing things that need location and non-location. The fabric of space allows them to arise and exist. And the matter and energy that makes you are located at your location and they are relative to everything comprising your non-location.

Then everything that exists needs a point in time to exist. Along with a before and after that time. Space allows time to arise so that your matter and energy can come into being at a location relative to non-location. If you thing about it this allows you to gain information instantaneously about the past and future. Specifically that you are here now not in the past or in the future. 

Very complex, but that is what space is.

It goes further in that all things which exist need a beginning and end. Location and non-location need both a beginning and an end. Along with matter, energy, time (past and future). If you go off the big bang having primacy and there being a final big crunch that is how all that is can have a beginning and an end. Alternatively if you  go off the mind having primacy (it is the cause of things) then the beginning is thoughts and the end is the ceasing thoughts.

Thoughts I say? A thought is something which exists creating location and non-location, matter and energy, time, and defines a start and finish (the start is the first thought and the finish the final one).

Do we know all about space yet? I doubt it. What we can determine must exist by contemplating the thoughts that go on is our minds is currently incompatible with where physics is up too. For example we can have certain types of perfection which can exist in our minds but which are impossible to exist in a material universe.

your lungs form into a shape, but it is the empty space inside that allows you to breathe.

your veins take the form of tubes, yet it is the empty space through which the blood flows.

form and emptiness are one unified expression, not separate 'things' or 'non-things'.