Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stranded diver stalked by tiger shark

Still Waters

When experienced diver John Craig found himself alone in deep water more than seven kilometres off the WA coast — and with a four-metre tiger shark circling him — he thought those moments might be his last.

His dive partner was in their boat, but engine trouble saw it swept away while Mr Craig was underwater off Shark Bay on Friday afternoon.

A major air and sea search for Mr Craig was launched and his family and friends feared the worst while the light faded over the waters, known to be heavily populated with sharks.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-22/shark-bay-diver-john-craig-swims-to-safety/9074300

• Like 2

Sharks are definitely graceful and awesome when seen from a safe distance but seeing one coming for you would be one of the most terrifying things to happen! Glad he could make it to safety.

• Like 3

Glad he's ok, but the first problem was being underwater off Shark Bay. It's Shark Bay. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Glad he's ok, but the first problem was being underwater off Shark Bay. It's Shark Bay. 

I've often wondered why it was called shark bay 

• Like 3

Tiger sharks are often portrayed as an overly aggressive species, but realistically you’re on the end of a very short stick if you get properly attacked/attempted to be eaten by one.

• Like 1

A very lucky man.  However, the picture of the shark attached to the story is not a 'relentless tiger tiger shark'  - seems to me like it is a grey nurse - and these are almost totally harmless.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the artory said:

A very lucky man.  However, the picture of the shark attached to the story is not a 'relentless tiger tiger shark'  - seems to me like it is a grey nurse - and these are almost totally harmless.  

Well you have a good eye - the shark in the picture was actually a "sand tiger shark", an easy mistake to make.

The image has now been updated to show an actual tiger shark.

• Like 3

Thanks for changing the pic - and revealing what type of shark was in the original post.  This is an awesome site which I visit everyday. Keep up the great work.  If you are interested in another story of a lucky escape from a shark in Australia in the last few days  - this time a 5 metre Great White -  then check this link out. 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/teenage-kayaker-survives-attack-by-great-white-shark/9075278

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 2

I would assume that an experienced diver would have a means of defence like a 2 metre prod, or a spear gun, but its terrifying to be circled by a shark , I know because it happened to me when swimming off a beach at Trinidad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the artory said:

If you are interested in another story of a lucky escape from a shark in Australia in the last few days  - this time a 5 metre Great White -  then check this link out. 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/teenage-kayaker-survives-attack-by-great-white-shark/9075278

I suspect that that was not food aggression, but mating aggression instead. The shark was not trying to eat the girl. Instead it was trying to mate with her kayak.

Imagine being circled by a fish 2x the length of a man and probably 3x the weight.Sharks and the mystery of the ocean fascinate me...

“I could not believe that someone could swim that far in such a short period of time,” said Glen Ridgley, from Shark Bay Volunteer Marine Rescue.

I bet it was his personal best.