Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Near-complete tyrannosaur fossil found in Utah

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Near-complete tyrannosaur fossil found in Utah

3 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Nice find but where are the pictures? Did I miss them somewhere?

They never really look that impressive in situ. We have to wait until it's transported and cleaned.

16 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

They never really look that impressive in situ. We have to wait until it's transported and cleaned.

Have you ever transported or cleaned them yourself? That would be interesting.

5 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

Have you ever transported or cleaned them yourself? That would be interesting.

No, I haven't. Just what I've seen in documentaries and Nat. Geo.

Maybe in my next life. :D

• Like 1

I am dedicating my skeletal structure to Science, only if they promise to exhibit my bones straddling a T Rex ...

~

• Like 3

We all know how cold parts of Utah can get. Yet at one time it was warm enough for a T-Rex. If what ever casued the ice age didn't happen, would we be here today?  Makes you wonder.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, paperdyer said:

We all know how cold parts of Utah can get. Yet at one time it was warm enough for a T-Rex. If what ever casued the ice age didn't happen, would we be here today?  Makes you wonder.

I don't understand?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

I don't understand?

I think he might be saying that the Ice Age caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I would settle for finding a tooth or perhaps a claw to wear round my neck.

4 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

I think he might be saying that the Ice Age caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, but I'm not sure.

That's what I meant.  The object that struck the Yucatan peninsula must have put enough small pieces of dirt and itself to block the sunlight the way a nuclear winter is always represented as happening.  Lizards like heat. If they don't have and they couldn't adapt, they died.

25 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

That's what I meant.  The object that struck the Yucatan peninsula must have put enough small pieces of dirt and itself to block the sunlight the way a nuclear winter is always represented as happening.  Lizards like heat. If they don't have and they couldn't adapt, they died.

Yes, there is evidence for an impact winter that lasted 1-10 years following the Chicxulub event: http://www.pnas.org/content/111/21/7537.full

However, dinosaurs weren't lizards and they weren't ectothermic. It wasn't the winter that directly killed them, but its effects on photosynthesis and the ecosystem would have been a contributing factor to their extinction. It is important to keep in mind that there was not a singular cause for the extinction of the dinosaurs but rather a combination of factors.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

I thought most of them went on to become birds ?

~

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I thought most of them went on to become birds ?

~

Indeed they did. I was speaking in regards to the non-avialan dinosaurs that went extinct.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 9:31 AM, third_eye said:

I am dedicating my skeletal structure to Science, only if they promise to exhibit my bones straddling a T Rex ...

~

Careful, you might wind up displayed in a creation science museum.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Indeed they did. I was speaking in regards to the non-avialan dinosaurs that went extinct.

THat's what I tell the kiddies ... in some respect that they are in fact, munching on dinos when they are biting into a McChicken ... :D

~

24 minutes ago, Piney said:

Careful, you might wind up displayed in a creation science museum.

If that be the case then I am sure they will wrap me up in a loin cloth ... :lol:

~

• Like 2

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

THat's what I tell the kiddies ... in some respect that they are in fact, munching on dinos when they are biting into a McChicken ... :D

~

If that be the case then I am sure they will wrap me up in a loin cloth ... :lol:

~

Wouldn't want any pelvis exposure around children.

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

Wouldn't want any pelvis exposure around children.

In a pelvic sense, one can't possibly any more fully exposed when one in there only in the bones ... :D

~

• Like 2