Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking for books on folklore and magic

Miss Ives

Hello. 

I'm new to this forums, so if this is not the appropriated section to ask this question, please, let me know.

I'm deeply interested in folklore, mythology and the occult. Right now I'm working on a personal project and I was wondering if someone could recommend me some good books on vampirism and lycanthropy. I'm not talking about an anthropological analysis of the vampiric and lycanthropic myths. I need actual books on vampires and werewolves. Something that lists the different varieties present in legends from around the world, and if possible, explains how to deal with each one. Most of the information available online is heavily influenced by literature and movies, but if you know of some legit website that explains those creatures from a pure mythological point of view, it could help too.

I'm also interested in information about any mythological "monster", from different kinds of undead to nature spirits harmful to mankind, and everything in between. Again, if possible, "practical" information concerning those legendary creatures.

Also, I would also like to ask you about books or any other kind of information about protection spells, charms and rituals. I don't care what tradition, culture, magical order or religion they belong to. I just need explained examples of magical protection towards evil. The much detailed and specific, the better.

I can read English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and a bit of Polish. So any of those languages would do. My Latin and Ancient Greek are a little rusty, but if you know of any reliable information in those languages, I would immensely appreciate it. 

Thank you very much in advanced.

Miss Ives.

I tried, indeed. I have a couple of books. But they are not exactly what I was looking for. I asked in this forums because, after reading for I couple of days, I came to the conclusion that the knowledge about mythology and the occult of the average member here greatly surpasses mine.

4 minutes ago, Miss Ives said:

I tried, indeed. I have a couple of books. But they are not exactly what I was looking for. I asked in this forums because, after reading for I couple of days, I came to the conclusion that the knowledge about mythology and the occult of the average member here greatly surpasses mine.

When it comes to the occult, do not take it serious. Trust me. A lot of folklore is about a message, teaching people something.  Good luck. Not sure how much help I can be aside from this and my first comment.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. But don't worry. I have my own set of beliefs, and I'm at peace with them. I'm not looking for guidance in my life through spiritual or supernatural means. The information I ask about has to do with a project I started recently.

Anyhow, thank you very much for taking the time to answer me. 

• Like 1

You should read The Wheel of Time series. Loads of folky magic stuff in those books.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You should read The Wheel of Time series. Loads of folky magic stuff in those books.

Freaking awesome series 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wes4747 said:

Freaking awesome series 

If you like them, you should check out Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. I think it'll end up being better once it's complete.

As mentioned, the majority of information you will find would have been heavily influenced by modern-day society, especially well-known creatures, such as the vampire and werewolf you had previously stated. At this point, learning more about said creatures will prove difficult.

Learning more about "underground" monsters or spirits could help you find more legitimate information. If the creature isn't popular in today's world, and not many know about them, the information you find could prove to be more reliable as it would be coming from one direct source. Maybe searching for a creature somewhat related to a vampire or werewolf will provide enough information? As for sources, I highly doubt you could find much online. Learning about the cryptid's origin and the culture surrounding the creature is probably your best shot.

For anything involving the use of magic, I can't say I have the knowledge to help you, my apologies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OntarioSquatch said:

Of course I checked Wikipedia. But that information is very incomplete. I could mention a dozen well known myths not present in those articles. But thank you anyhow. 

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm not interested in fiction. I'm interested in folklore. There is a fine line betwen them, but it's there. But thank you for the recommendation. I will check those books out someday, if I'm in the mood for it.

6 hours ago, SourSoup said:

As mentioned, the majority of information you will find would have been heavily influenced by modern-day society, especially well-known creatures, such as the vampire and werewolf you had previously stated. At this point, learning more about said creatures will prove difficult.

Learning more about "underground" monsters or spirits could help you find more legitimate information. If the creature isn't popular in today's world, and not many know about them, the information you find could prove to be more reliable as it would be coming from one direct source. Maybe searching for a creature somewhat related to a vampire or werewolf will provide enough information? As for sources, I highly doubt you could find much online. Learning about the cryptid's origin and the culture surrounding the creature is probably your best shot.

For anything involving the use of magic, I can't say I have the knowledge to help you, my apologies.

Sadly, you are right. I'll keep looking, as I'm stuck with the vampires and werewolves. The choice wasn't mine to make, I'm afraid. Thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Ives said:

Of course I checked Wikipedia. But that information is very incomplete. I could mention a dozen well known myths not present in those articles. But thank you anyhow. 

Your knowledge of the folklore greatly exceeds that of most members here

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Miss Ives said:

Hello. 

I'm new to this forums, so if this is not the appropriated section to ask this question, please, let me know.

I'm deeply interested in folklore, mythology and the occult. Right now I'm working on a personal project and I was wondering if someone could recommend me some good books on vampirism and lycanthropy. I'm not talking about an anthropological analysis of the vampiric and lycanthropic myths. I need actual books on vampires and werewolves. Something that lists the different varieties present in legends from around the world, and if possible, explains how to deal with each one. Most of the information available online is heavily influenced by literature and movies, but if you know of some legit website that explains those creatures from a pure mythological point of view, it could help too.

I'm also interested in information about any mythological "monster", from different kinds of undead to nature spirits harmful to mankind, and everything in between. Again, if possible, "practical" information concerning those legendary creatures.

Also, I would also like to ask you about books or any other kind of information about protection spells, charms and rituals. I don't care what tradition, culture, magical order or religion they belong to. I just need explained examples of magical protection towards evil. The much detailed and specific, the better.

I can read English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and a bit of Polish. So any of those languages would do. My Latin and Ancient Greek are a little rusty, but if you know of any reliable information in those languages, I would immensely appreciate it. 

Thank you very much in advanced.

Miss Ives.

Welcome to UM Miss Ives :st Please, take time to read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

A general research tool book I would suggest is The Vampire Encyclopedia by Matthew Bunson. It lists various traditional folklore vampires as well as listing a lot of what fictional sources are out there. It can help with getting more legend material and weeding out fictional titles/authors early on in your searches. If you want to get more detailed into the particular folklore of Dracula, Vlad Tepes the third along with a couple of his other family members make for a great study of real people/events vs the folklore development- there's even a real Dracula vs Frankenstein battle in the history.

Dover Publishing has a handful of lorebooks that are specific like vamps, weres, witches, ect.

Bullfinch's Mythology is always a classic resource to have on the shelf.

A couple of good online resources for folklore research..

San Antonio College- lots of resources: http://sacguide.libguides.com/c.php?g=272342&p=1817547

University of Wisconsin-Madison folklore database: https://researchguides.library.wisc.edu/folklore

American Folklore Society- this site has information on it and also listings for folklore sources by state within the U.S. as well as other countries: http://www.afsnet.org/?page=AboutFolkloreStudies

I don't really have any were-lore books or sites to recommend specifically. That's a chunk of lore I track for cartography purposes. I don't get too deep into the folklore of them.

Zombies as undead have a lot of occult and reality- kind of like alchemy. One part science- chemical cocktails, and a part or few of various occult and belief aspects combined. Start with Hati and some areas of the Southern U.S. to start, then your research tastes may go sideways from there.

This is an interesting site listing for elementals and nature spirits. It covers quite a bit of ancient legends from many areas around the globe- and it's chock full of good terminology and names:  http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/elementals.htm

Amusingly enough.. fairy tales are really the best research tool on fairies. The old legends are really some of the best accounts. Since most places have their own wee folk of various types, that's kind of just pick your region and go.

Protection magic stuff could almost be it's own topic- pretty much everywhere everywhen got some of that going on too. Protective talismans/objects, simple prayers, childrens baptisms and namings, house blessings and cleansings, superstitions like driving cattle over bonfires.. and a slew of meditations, rituals, objects like crystals and plants, color meanings...

• Like 1

Montague Summers "The Vampire, His Kith and Ken"  it's companion volume "The Vampire In Europe" and "the Werewolf In Lore And Legend" are considered definitive works on the subjects.

"The Natural History Of The Vampire" by Anthony Masters may be of use, though it references Summers itself on occasion.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 2

On 23/10/2017 at 0:36 PM, OntarioSquatch said:

Your knowledge of the folklore greatly exceeds that of most members here

I don't think so. But the Wikipedia articles focus only in the myths and legends of certain countries and regions. There's nothing there about mediterranean vampires and werewolves, for example. 

On 23/10/2017 at 5:04 PM, rashore said:

Welcome to UM Miss Ives :st Please, take time to read the site rules, check out some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

A general research tool book I would suggest is The Vampire Encyclopedia by Matthew Bunson. It lists various traditional folklore vampires as well as listing a lot of what fictional sources are out there. It can help with getting more legend material and weeding out fictional titles/authors early on in your searches. If you want to get more detailed into the particular folklore of Dracula, Vlad Tepes the third along with a couple of his other family members make for a great study of real people/events vs the folklore development- there's even a real Dracula vs Frankenstein battle in the history.

Dover Publishing has a handful of lorebooks that are specific like vamps, weres, witches, ect.

Bullfinch's Mythology is always a classic resource to have on the shelf.

A couple of good online resources for folklore research..

San Antonio College- lots of resources: http://sacguide.libguides.com/c.php?g=272342&p=1817547

University of Wisconsin-Madison folklore database: https://researchguides.library.wisc.edu/folklore

American Folklore Society- this site has information on it and also listings for folklore sources by state within the U.S. as well as other countries: http://www.afsnet.org/?page=AboutFolkloreStudies

I don't really have any were-lore books or sites to recommend specifically. That's a chunk of lore I track for cartography purposes. I don't get too deep into the folklore of them.

Zombies as undead have a lot of occult and reality- kind of like alchemy. One part science- chemical cocktails, and a part or few of various occult and belief aspects combined. Start with Hati and some areas of the Southern U.S. to start, then your research tastes may go sideways from there.

This is an interesting site listing for elementals and nature spirits. It covers quite a bit of ancient legends from many areas around the globe- and it's chock full of good terminology and names:  http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/elementals.htm

Amusingly enough.. fairy tales are really the best research tool on fairies. The old legends are really some of the best accounts. Since most places have their own wee folk of various types, that's kind of just pick your region and go.

Protection magic stuff could almost be it's own topic- pretty much everywhere everywhen got some of that going on too. Protective talismans/objects, simple prayers, childrens baptisms and namings, house blessings and cleansings, superstitions like driving cattle over bonfires.. and a slew of meditations, rituals, objects like crystals and plants, color meanings...

Wow. Thank you. Thank you very much, Rashore. There are quite a few things in the links you provided that can be of use. I've heard of the Dover books. I was considering getting them on Amazon. I'll check out the others you listed too.

On 23/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, likwidlite said:

Not entirely what you're asking for but this is a great book about folklore and mythology of Great Britain. https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOLKLORE-MYTHS-LEGENDS-BRITAIN-Russell/dp/B000RT1H5G

Not what I was looking for, as you said. But looks interesting. Thank you.

On 24/10/2017 at 1:03 AM, Oniomancer said:

Montague Summers "The Vampire, His Kith and Ken"  it's companion volume "The Vampire In Europe" and "the Werewolf In Lore And Legend" are considered definitive works on the subjects.

"The Natural History Of The Vampire" by Anthony Masters may be of use, though it references Summers itself on occasion.

Yes, I've read some of Summers work. I'm searching for some cheap editions of his books. I'll check out Masters too. Thanks.

On 24/10/2017 at 1:44 AM, travelnjones said:

I don't know much about the Goetia. I may have partial access to a nineteenth century edition of "El Ciprianillo" or Book of San Cipriano, if the person who ownes it is willing to let me check it out. Of which, I am not sure. We are not exactly friends anymore. For what I remember, the Ciprianillo contains the Lesser Key of Solomon. Thank you, Travelnjones.

I thank you all for your help and the warm welcome.

If your Latin and Ancient Greek are a little rusty, then unfortunately you’re a lost cause! :lol:

Jokes. 

Welcome to UM. There is plenty out there so keep digging. 

• Like 1

Re: charms and protection, Fraser's "The Golden Bough" is one of the better resources for this. Evans-Wentz's "The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries" also has some, as well as being a good general resource on fairy lore. Both are available online.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Timonthy said:

If your Latin and Ancient Greek are a little rusty, then unfortunately you’re a lost cause! :lol:

Jokes. 

Welcome to UM. There is plenty out there so keep digging. 

Thanks! Yeah... Zombie languages are a b****:lol:.

12 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

Re: charms and protection, Fraser's "The Golden Bough" is one of the better resources for this. Evans-Wentz's "The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries" also has some, as well as being a good general resource on fairy lore. Both are available online.

Thank you, Oniomancer.