Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has Anyone Else Had This Dream?

SusanStone

Summer of 2014. I dreamed about a massive nuclear attack.

I had a nightmare that I'm starting to remember more and more in recent months. And the more I remember it, the more I think about it, the more anxiety is formed. Kind of an anxiety paradox, but whatever.
I dreamed that I was in my childhood home, looking out the bay window in my living room. In the dream I watched a nuclear mushroom cloud form. It roared towards me. And if you've ever dreamed about going off of a cliff, or falling off of a building, you can relate to the feeling of accepting your inevitable death and watching it unfold in front of you. This was the feeling I had when I watched the cloud.
I thought it had to have been New York that was hit, because in the dream, if I were to draw a line from my house to the drop site, it would have taken me to the Albany area.
Of course dream rules don't apply the same as our physical world rules. So in the dream, I pulled out my phone during the time between when I saw the flames and before I woke up. I called my best friend, (and I wasn't talking to her at the time in real life but she is currently my roommate.) I told her that I love her, and then I woke up, assuming I had died.

When I woke up, the only phrase I could think of was:
"I told you so."
And I find it particularly unnerving, on a more personal level, I had Matchbox Twenty - Busted stuck in my head for days.
"And I dreamt that the world was crumblin' down, we sat on my back porch and watched it."
Growing up, I remember listening to a lot of Matchbox Twenty, specifically the album Yourself or Someone Like You.

This dream has been reoccurring.

For a while this past summer I routinely exercised trance-like drawing. I coined the term automatic drawing for myself. Like some prefer automatic writing, I prefer drawing. I would listen to music, and let myself be "taken over" by it. The drawings that would come out looked a lot like mushroom clouds, fiery depictions with skulls, and they've been prevalent in most of my art work. I surprise myself when I draw these things because most of the time it doesn't feel like I'm drawing them. Most of the times it just feels like I'm drawing, and that is what is drawn. If that makes sense. I feel disconnected and connected at the same time.

I am aware of the collective consciousness humans have, and I know that plenty of humans have dreamed about disasters like 9/11 well before they've happened.
I've had certain dreams from when I was a small child come true. Sometimes even waking dreams/Djea Vu episodes that I had as a child later came true.

For me, it's entirely plausible that humans would dream about a massive world disaster years before it happens. Especially if it is something like a nuclear attack, with that much energy involved. 

For me, at least putting this dream out there, or I guess these dreams, I'm hoping it relieves some anxiety. I'd like to know if anyone else has had a dream similar to this, or just share your precognitive dreams. Part of me hopes that it doesn't happen if we talk about it. Because part of me feels like a nuke is right around the corner. But hey, that's just our current politics right? Ahaha.

• Like 2

Problem is, what you related is just normal human nature at work.  We look for patterns, and if you try hard enough...  In this case, as far as I am aware, there were *not* a lot of reports of dreamt nuclear conflagrations in 2014.  But I'll guarantee that lots of folks over the years have dreamt of them, especially after seeing or hearing something, eg a Terminator movie rerun...

And of course you will worry about whether it is precognition, but after a few days (er months, er years) it should be clear to you that it wasn't.  Just a dream.  Almost certainly, in a troubled world like we currently occupy, there is a chance of a nuclear conflict, so I guess that your nightmare may come true at some point.  But that isn't precognition, it is barely even coincidence - just the normal meanderings of history.  And I would dispute the claims of 911 dreams - or indeed any such disaster that was predicted that way.  A number of people may well report this *after the fact*, but if you think about it, given the size of our population, there will be quite a few coincidental dream synchronicities.  There *has* to be.

So I'd say - it was just a dream - stop worrying and making it worse..

FTR, I can't recall any nuke dreams, but I certainly had a vivid nightmare about a plane crash back in about 2000... and the next morning I was flying for a work-related conference.  I flew anyway, and absolutely nothing happened, nor in any flights since.  Maybe I will go down in flames one day, but I won't be thinking "omigod I knew this would happen"..

• Like 1

I’ve had a couple dreams like this. One time I dreamt  I was in the bottom floor of this huge building in what looked like NYC. I watched as this massive tsunami crushed the whole city. It reminded me of your impending doom comment. I thought I was a goner lol. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.

The remarkable thing about your dream and automatic drawing report is that it sounds as if it's your recent waking self who's reading mushroom clouds as the supposed key element of the unconscious contents you've encountered.

In 2014, you had a dream featuring somebody you weren't talking to at the time, and the dream presented one situation where you would spontaneously take the initiative and repair the relationship. Why isn't that what the dream was "about?" Especially in retrospect, given that the relationship apparently has been repaired.

Plausible title of the dream: "WTF are you waiting for? Armageddon? Call her already. Patch it up."

As to the interpretation of automatic drawing, mushrooms look like a lot of things and a lot of things look like mushrooms. You didn't upload any samples, but the bulk of the automatic drawings I've seen (except maybe Picasso's, lol) look like nothing in particular and like everything sort of. "Reading" them may as well be reading tea leaves.

Here's are some examples of what I'm talking about - maybe yours are different, but ...

https://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/a-prematurely-jungian-archeologist-at-glastonbury-abbey/

Disaster themed dreams can be alarming and maybe that’s because they remind us of our own imminent deaths and the mystery of how and when it’ll occur…they also trigger an urge to warn others about danger…Problem is! It’s just a dream so it’s not going to be taken seriously.

Myself! I don’t particularly fear death (just the pain of dying) however some dreams about death can be a torment when they appear to have a hint of someone’s demise via a cryptic message.

That’s the big problem with most dreams…they don’t usually include reliable information like dates etc. so it’s hard to believe that they are anything more than just dreams or coincidences.

Years ago I had a dream which bothered me for a while and I was recently reminded of that via my three year old grandchild who gave me drawing she had done for me…The drawing had two faces (one smiling the other sad) on it with a wiggly line above the faces and my grandchild (pointing two the faces) said “That is Jen and this (the sad one) is me” then pointing to the line she said, “That is a snake”…My grandchild had never met Jen, Jen died the year before my grandchild was born…The only way that she knows Jen is by a photo hung on a wall in a closed off study which the little one rarely wanders inside.

The dream I recall was in June 2005…Broken down it was basically about a blind man and the name Jesus was mentioned…Then the dream changed and I was at my mother’s house (number 14) where I saw my eldest daughter heavily pregnant and she was on the upper level of the house. On the ground floor I saw my deceased dad and he was taking my youngest daughter Jen out of the front entrance then he turned around and he warned me not to follow. I told him I wouldn’t and that I was just letting my dogs inside the house. I looked at my clothing and noticed that I was wearing black colours.

Several years later! Jen died in 2013 and my only grandchild was born in 2014. The two dogs passed in 2015.

The snake in the grandchild’s drawing…A couple of days before Jen died she text messaged her dad (on the 19th from her hospital bed) and wrote, Tell mum to watch out for the snakes…When I visited Jen later-on she was in & out of consciousness so I couldn’t communicate with her much then she passed on the 21st so I never found out why she sent the message although I did almost walk into a brown tree snake which was dangling from a roof guttering that same night (after) the text message was received so?

Those coincidences eh! They can be thought provoking though…:)

Edited by Meridian O

Nope. Never had that dream.

I dreamt last night that I was looking on the internet for weather stories to post on my newsblog ....... that's about as exciting as my imagination gets!

Should have noted:
If you don't believe in psychic dreams, the premonitions of 9/11 and other disasters, don't answer to this thread please. If you don't believe in psychic gifts, don't answer my thread. There is already a fundamental disconnect of understanding that prevents an accurate, insightful, or helpful answer. And before someone says "Don't ignore answers that are just not what you want to hear" or something similar. You've missed the point entirely.

On 10/23/2017 at 5:22 AM, eight bits said:

In 2014, you had a dream featuring somebody you weren't talking to at the time, and the dream presented one situation where you would spontaneously take the initiative and repair the relationship. Why isn't that what the dream was "about?" Especially in retrospect, given that the relationship apparently has been repaired.

Plausible title of the dream: "WTF are you waiting for? Armageddon? Call her already. Patch it up."

As to the interpretation of automatic drawing, mushrooms look like a lot of things and a lot of things look like mushrooms. You didn't upload any samples, but the bulk of the automatic drawings I've seen (except maybe Picasso's, lol) look like nothing in particular and like everything sort of. "Reading" them may as well be reading tea leaves.

This is a new way to look at the dream that I hadn't thought of before. I like your interpretation on this. It's a lot more rational than nuclear death. I have trouble differentiating between literal symbols in dreams that I later found myself in the exact situation, and what may be symbolic. For instance, I had a waking dream while walking home from elementary school. I described it as dejavu. I saw a white car, then a red car, and my mind knew it was something important. I associated those two literal symbols with a feeling of relief and guilt at the same time, and I was worried about it for hours afterwards. Later that week I sat on the couch and described to my mom my first existential life crisis.
Fast forward to this past summer, I had to leave a very unsafe situation. I didn't feel comfortable with a certain group of people. I was being pressured into going into a basement, and I just knew not to. I left the situation, sat down, and texted my mom. I felt so guilty that I hadn't talked to her lately. I looked up, I saw a white car. At that moment the memory of this waking dream flashed back to me and I just knew that a red car was approaching. This red car was my ride home, and it appeared right as I hit send for my lengthy apology text to my mom, right on time as I predicted after the white car.
That is a precognitive thought to me. It was a waking dream when I had it, and I've had others where I've been asleep and had a precognitive dream. A lot of them have been coming true, especially recently. Nuclear warfare though, especially the image of an explosion can be interpreted as literal symbols OR a symbolic icon.

I appreciate your take on the symbolic icon side and I find it to be very applicable. I mean the first time my friend and I saw each other after 4 years of separation, we both exchanged a hearty "I told you so." Her about my ex, and me about telling her that she'd become friends with a person I just knew she'd be friends with.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:17 AM, preacherman76 said:

I’ve had a couple dreams like this. One time I dreamt  I was in the bottom floor of this huge building in what looked like NYC. I watched as this massive tsunami crushed the whole city. It reminded me of your impending doom comment. I thought I was a goner lol. 

I'm glad, but sorry you understand that impending doom feeling. I hate tsunami dreams, ugh.
I like your signature quote.

To all else:
If I didn't reply to your comment, please take not of Preacherman76's signature, and then hopefully you read and understood my first half of this post.

• Like 1

And to clarify, as far as my art goes. Mushroom clouds* not mushrooms. The cloud that forms after a nuke hits that resembles a mushroom. A lot of it has appeared in my work, especially the automatic drawing instances.
Here's some examples of the automatic drawing sessions:

0uz0NYR.jpg

VaYAHgd.jpg

hWvjECm.jpg

7WExbTp.jpg

There's been quite a few of these drawings where I walk away from it feeling like there's impending doom, so I've began writing music instead of drawing so much. It's very draining to do an automatic drawing session and to walk away feeling worse than when I started, especially if it induces a feeling of "I feel like I'm gonna ****ing die." Ya know?This is one of the automatic drawing sessions that later came true. I won't get into the details because it involves a lot of PTSD/Childhood Sexual Assault topics. If anyone has questions about my drawings, premonitions, psychic abilities (That I've had to learn to accept myself), I would point you to the direction of Stephen King and his philosophy on "shining children" is what he likes to call it. Up here in Maine, we're all big on Stephen King as an individual, and I find his thought processes on psychic abilities being found in abused children particularly accurate. The more people I meet who have had similar childhoods, the more I find we are alike in our intuition.
Hence why I say if you don't believe in this stuff, don't answer my thread. Your answers are not useful.

CBrv7G1.jpg

• Like 2

SusanStone

First, thank you for uploading those examples of your work. That was very helpful in understanding what you're saying.

For whatever it may be worth, confrontation with the darker aspects of unconscious contents, which is a major part of "shadow work" (a searchable term), can be disturbing and draining, even for people without any history of abuse. That you are a survivor can't make that any easier.

Second, on things like the white car + red car first in (waking) dream and then later in waking life, you might consider expanding the concept of "precognitive" a bit. It doesn't have to be either-or, maybe it's both-and.

The expansion I'm thinking of is synchronicity. The shared elements of white car + red car, and also the feeling BOTH times that the cars were important is very powerful. It got your attention, and the unconscious getting your conscious attention is what synchronicity seems to be about. In this case, maybe the point was an emphatic endorsement of your intention to text your mother.

A lot of synchronicity stories have an uncanny element to them, like the precognitive aspect of your example. I don't claim to understand how that works (lol), but there it is. The key thing about the synchronicity perspective is that it isn't just that it's sometimes uncanny, but that it's about cooperation and integration of the conscious and unconscious parts of yourself. Big stuff, in other words.

Food for thought, maybe. Very interesting thread.

• Like 1

Not wanting to jump on the bandwagon but rather get it off my chest. Retired after decades in and around Military. My recurring dream (for decades several a year) I walk out out on the porch and look to the North, a pretty sunny day but I see about a dozen condensation trails of ICBM. coming toward the US. I 'realize' these are incoming ICBMs and wake up before impact. Short, simple, scary as hell.

Strange part is I know things are totally different now than the Cold War Period with Russia but still have these. I'm not looking for any answers just needed to vent. Thanks.

• Like 2