Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Perplexing Orbs

Morgus

6 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

It's over, Morgus.  Spamming endless new videos which any idiot can create with a phone / compact digicam, will not help.

Look at all the responses - you have convinced no-one here except papageorge.... and that's no badge of honor.  Quite the reverse in fact.

Bye.

Run to your ignore land

On 10/23/2017 at 11:35 PM, ChrLzs said:

As many others have already related, the imagery being (over-)posted seems to show nothing other than out-of-focus insects, bugs, dust (rain/snow/etc) that are lit up by an on-camera (or nearby) light source.

Here are the facts (and NONE of what follows is in question):

1. Small objects that are out of focus will appear as 'blobs'.  The size of the blob depends on the distance away from the current focal distance (aka 'focal plane') - the further it is away, the larger the blob.  So if the lens is focused at infinity and the object is very close to the lens, the blob will be large.  Conversely, if the lens is focused close and the object  is some metres away or at 'infinity' it will again be large.  Obviously, objects that are in focus or near to it, will be at their smallest and will be in focus.  Blurring always goes outwards, as the light spreads..

2. The shape of the 'blobs' is often round, but will depend on several factors, including:
- lens design
- aperture opening shape (on better quality cameras you will often five/six/seven sided blobs, of the same shape of the aperture diaphragm)
- closeness to centre of image (lenses distort shapes increasingly towards the outer edges of the image frame)

3. Within these 'blobs', details may appear.  The detail is often concentric, which gives a clue that the effect is optically caused and has nothing to with the original bright object.  The detail may also includes spots and smears that are reflections of debris or defects in the lens, and it may be seen moving within the blob as it changes relative position in frame - which again proves that the 'detail' is caused by the lens.

Is there anyone here who disputes any of that?  Or that saw *anything* whatsoever in amongst the plethora of videos, that is not completely and utterly explained by those facts?  I'm happy to address any specifics.  Later when I have more time, I'll post just a couple more videos and a still image or two *demonstrating* exactly what causes these 'orbs'.  In my opinion, brevity is better than spam or Gish Galloping...

So to summarise, what are 'orbs'?

They are NOT special.
They are NOT paranormal.
They are not even very perplexing.
They are a simple and well known optical effect - indeed ask any serious photographer.
They are caused by brightly lit small objects that are out of focus, drifting, or flying (or hovering) in/thru the camera's field of view. 

The above information is irrelevant and does not apply to my videos especially this one. This is not an out of focus bug or dust or water... use you own judgement 

Here are some bats, mosquitoes, snowflakes, and corn spores I filmed in my backyard...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

No, the orb issue is not settled in the minds of all intelligent people. This false bravado that  'it has all been debunked' is just that; a false bravado I found in an article by a logical and intelligent person: From an article I was looking at

The article is not of any relevance because the link leads to a page named Ghostcircle which provide NewAge/esoterics stuff like EVP, ghost, afterlife and other nonsense. And, it offers a "pro membership" for 10 £/year, so this source isnt a source for scientific contents, its a scam page only.

FACT - ORBS have been also investigated by Dr Klaus Heinemann PHD of NASA and UCLA, experimental physicist, under controlled conditions using multiple cameras showed that orbs have intelligence when asked to appear on camera under the direction of the photographer.

Heinemann is an esoteric/NewAge guru and his education and his former employers are not of any relevance. There are two options: a.) he went insane or b.) he is a smart businessman, making a lot of money by fooling gullible people. Both options dont allow to take his publications as to be serious under a scientific point of view.

Now, I am in no position to prove these facts to you myself as this is not my area of expertise, but what I am saying is that orbs are not 'debunked' in the  minds of many reasonable people

If you are not capable to prove the claims by yourself due to lack of expertise in the related field, what exactly makes feel prepared well to judge who are " reasonable people" to the related field? As I`ve said already, education and former employers are not of relevance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Morgus said:

Here are some bats, mosquitoes, snowflakes, and corn spores I filmed in my backyard

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Morgus said:

Run to your ignore land

you have ignored a key post of mine, so I repeat, and this time, you really should answer, or attempt to...

out of the BILLIONS of photos taken worldwide since the dawn of personal cameras...............why have orbs not been seen since the dawn of digital cameras?

ANSWER THAT?

10 minutes ago, seeder said:

I did answer you, but will again.Perhaps it has to do with digital verses non digital cameras. Whether others have captured orbs on film or have not, does not change what you see on my pictures and in my videos. Look at my pictures and videos and th evidence they provide rather than ignoring the evidence and holding to irrelevant and outdated information.

you have ignored a key post of mine, so I repeat, and this time, you really should answer, or attempt to...

out of the BILLIONS of photos taken worldwide since the dawn of personal cameras...............why have orbs not been seen since the dawn of digital cameras?

ANSWER THAT?

1 minute ago, Morgus said:

total nonsense answer

as said before....I have DOZENS of photos of my son showing orbs, have also many photos, taken on a digital camera, showing orbs outside, or in a pub....or at home

never once have I wanted to waste anyones time discussing those on forums such as this. I accept its a camera/digital/flash artefact.   Why cant you ACCEPT that too?

Dozens of websites exist about orbs in photos, but just you seem to think your photos/vids are special...but the majority of those websites also confirm there is NOTHING paranormal about orbs showing up

that says more about your lack of knowledge and understanding than anything else

Unless, as I said before....you actually know that... but are just seeking to increase the hits on your typical and oh so boring youtube channel

you should realise something about this forum, its not frequented by gullible teenagers, most of us are what you can call 'mature posters'....who have been here for years and seen this tired old nonsense posted many times

Most everyone with a digital camera/flash will have a photo of orbs...so what makes yours worthy of continued discussion?

if you dont believe orbs are camera artefacts....then spell it out....WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE?

Kindly answer that, .....while risking further ridicule of course...

13 minutes ago, seeder said:

total nonsense answer

as said before....I have DOZENS of photos of my son showing orbs, have also many photos, taken on a digital camera, showing orbs outside, or in a pub....or at home

never once have I wanted to waste anyones time discussing those on forums such as this. I accept its a camera/digital/flash artefact.   Why cant you ACCEPT that too?

Dozens of websites exist about orbs in photos, but just you seem to think your photos/vids are special...but the majority of those websites also confirm there is NOTHING paranormal about orbs showing up

that says more about your lack of knowledge and understanding than anything else

Unless, as I said before....you actually know that... but are just seeking to increase the hits on your typical and oh so boring youtube channel

you should realise something about this forum, its not frequented by gullible teenagers, most of us are what you can call 'mature posters'....who have been here for years and seen this tired old nonsense posted many times

Most everyone with a digital camera/flash will have a photo of orbs...so what makes yours worthy of continued discussion?

if you dont believe orbs are camera artefacts....then spell it out....WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE?

Kindly answer that, .....while risking further ridicule of course...

Post your pictures so everyone can compare with the pictures I just posted. Put up or shut up..

here ya go, a wikipedia article on Orbs...again, heres the key bit...and if wikipedia publishes the facts...then who will you try convince next?  Facts speak for themselves dont they?

Orbs are captured during low-light instances where the camera's flash is used. Cases include night or underwater photography, or where a bright light source is near the camera.[3] Light appears much brighter very near the source due to the inverse-square law, which says light intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.[5] The orb artifact can result from retroreflection of light off solid particles, such as dust or pollen, or liquid particles, especially rain. They can also be caused by foreign material within the camera lens.[1][4] The image artifacts usually appear as either white or semi-transparent circles, though may also occur with whole or partial color spectra, purple fringing or other chromatic aberration. With rain droplets, an image may capture light passing through the droplet creating a small rainbow effect.[6]

Fujifilm describes the artifacts as a common photographic problem:

There is always a certain amount of dust floating around in the air. You may have noticed this at the movies when you look up at the light coming from the movie projector and notice the bright sparks floating around in the beam. In the same way, there are always dust particles floating around nearby when you take pictures with your camera. When you use the flash, the light from the flash reflects off the dust particles and is sometimes captured in your shot. Of course, dust particles very close to the camera are blurred since they are not in focus, but because they reflect the light more strongly than the more distant main subject of the shot, that reflected light can sometimes be captured by the camera and recorded on the resulting image as round white spots. So these dots are the blurred images of dust particles.[1]

In underwater conditions, particles such as sand or small sea life close to the lens, invisible to the diver, reflect light from the flash causing the orb artifact in the image. A strobe flash, which distances the flash from the lens, eliminates the artifacts.[7] The effect is also seen on infrared video cameras, where superbright infrared LEDs illuminate microscopic particles very close to the lens. The artifacts are especially common with compact or ultra-compact cameras, where the short distance between the lens and the built-in flash decreases the angle of light reflection to the lens, directly illuminating the aspect of the particles facing the lens and increasing the camera's ability to capture the light reflected off normally sub-visible particles.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(optics)

Just now, Morgus said:

Post your pictures so everyone can compare with the pictures I just posted. Put up or shut up..

GO jump in a lake. Im NOT posting my family photos on a public forum, especially ANY images of my young Son

• Like 1

Just now, Morgus said:

Post your pictures so everyone can compare with the pictures I just posted. Put up or shut up.. I have never claimed they were paranormal. That is how good your investigation is as well. You do not pay attention.

Just now, Morgus said:

2 minutes ago, Morgus said:

Put up or shut up?   :lol:

after you then....tell us all....what you think the orbs are?   DO IT NOW!   Or stop posting

1 minute ago, seeder said:

GO jump in a lake. Im NOT posting my family photos on a public forum, especially ANY images of my young Son

Lots of big talk by everyone on here but no one will post any pictures or videos they have taken that can stand up to mine. Everyone talks big second hand, I provide firsthand evidence . Again, put up or shut up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morgus said:

Lots of big talk by everyone on here but no one will post any pictures or videos they have taken that can stand up to mine. Everyone talks big second hand, I provide firsthand evidence . Again, put up or shut up.

again....I will NEVER post pics of my baby son on a forum.... so answer the question

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE ORBS IN YOUR IMAGES ARE?   Just answer the damn question

6 minutes ago, seeder said:

Put up or shut up?   :lol:

after you then....tell us all....what you think the orbs are?   DO IT NOW!   Or stop posting

Again, you do not pay attention. But for your need.  Orbs are as they appear, spherical creatures that move through the sky under their own power, with purpose and intention, interacting with the world around them. They are natural and normal rather than supernatural or paranormal.

Actually, that they look spherical is usually because they are out of focus.  And dust and pollen etc aren't normally regarded as creatures.  Otherwise, pretty much spot on :)

20 minutes ago, Morgus said:

By the way, what is your young baby son doing in a pub?

5 minutes ago, Morgus said:

Again, you do not pay attention. But for your need.  Orbs are as they appear, spherical creatures that move through the sky under their own power, with purpose and intention, interacting with the world around them. They are natural and normal rather than supernatural or paranormal.

:lol:

so you admit they are just bugs then?  :lol:

and perhaps you thought all the members here  need to see yet more dodgy images of out of focus blurry insects?

way to go hero!!   Yes we have all seen bugs before, yet you bring yours here with a thread title of "Perplexing Orbs"

so what exactly is perplexing if you know they are bugs to start with?

Edited by seeder

1 minute ago, Essan said:

Actually, that they look spherical is usually because they are out of focus.  And dust and pollen etc aren't normally regarded as creatures.  Otherwise, pretty much spot on :)

1 minute ago, Essan said:

Is this dust?

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

:lol:

so you admit they are just bugs then?  :lol:

and perhaps you thought all the members here  need to see yet more dodgy images of out of focus blurry insects?

way to go hero!!   Yes we have all seen bugs before, yet you bring yours here with a thread title of "Perplexing Orbs"

so what exactly is perplexing if you know they are bugs to start with?

If they are insects, they are insects in and of themselves, not another insect, as I have always stated.

Just now, Morgus said:

The term “orb” does not belong to or is owned by the paranormal community. Look it up in a dictionary.

3 minutes ago, Morgus said:

Is this dust?

Maybe dust, pollen, smoke particles, other pollution ...... impossible to tell withouit taking an air sample (which, of course, is the easy way to prove whether anything else exists there)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morgus said:

Is this dust?

who knows as you havent provided any context?

You know what I think.? They are actually microscopic aliens in tiny ufos, no wait that cant be right....

they are actually spirits of people who travel around in microscopic bubbles we have decided to call orbs....

Nah thats not right either

so....perhaps they are just stuff that floats, like dust etc...or insects of course, or camera artefacts

yeh that seems about right. Thread over

Just now, Essan said:

Maybe dust, pollen, smoke particles, other pollution ...... impossible to tell withouit taking an air sample (which, of course, is the easy way to prove whether anything else exists there)

So dust and smoke can move about in the horizontally? Seriously?

• The topic was locked