Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Daryl Davis

F3SS

After stumbling across a quick video clip on Instagram about this guy I had to look him up as I found him very interesting. I then came across this article which lays it out quite well. There are YouTube docs about Daryl also but I haven’t watched any so far. Basically he engages klansmen in conversation and through time dismantles their logic and if they quit the klan he collects their robes. He claims to have dismantled the kkk in the entire state of Maryland basically through dialogue. There’s a lot of left wingers who should take a page from this guy’s book and he says as much at the end of the article. Here’s a snippet and the instaclip to get it going. What’s everyone think?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/03/the-audacity-of-talking-about-race-with-the-klu-klux-klan/388733/

When musician Daryl Davis first met a member of the Ku Klux Klan he was the only black man in a country band. They were playing a gig at an all-white venue in Frederick, Maryland. After their set, a member of the audience approached Davis to compliment his piano skills, saying he'd never heard a black pianist play like Jerry Lee Lewis. "Who do you think taught Jerry Lee Lewis to play that way?" Davis replied. They hit it off. The patron wanted to buy Davis a drink, and soon after he observed that he'd never in his life had a drink or conversed with a black man.

"Why is that?"

"I'm a member of the Ku Klux Klan."

At first Davis thought he was joking. But the man pulled out his wallet and produced his Klan card. Later he wrote down his phone number. He asked Davis to call him the next time he played the Silver Dollar Lounge. He'd come out to watch.

• Like 6

Brave man.  It would be like a jewish rabbi that befriends ISIS troops and collects their AK-47 when they repent.  I'm sure it could be done, but I totally expect a bad ending one day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Brave man.  It would be like a jewish rabbi that befriends ISIS troops and collects their AK-47 when they repent.  I'm sure it could be done, but I totally expect a bad ending one day.

Well he’s succeeded with top level klansmen and has been doing this since 1983 so he’s looking good so far.

• Like 5

Very positive, hopeful and influential. I like the way this guy does it.

Good stuff, F3SS. Thanks for posting it.

• Like 4

There are a lot of people around just like him. It's not often they are mentioned in the news.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, F3SS said:

After stumbling across a quick video clip on Instagram about this guy I had to look him up as I found him very interesting. I then came across this article which lays it out quite well. There are YouTube docs about Daryl also but I haven’t watched any so far. Basically he engages klansmen in conversation and through time dismantles their logic and if they quit the klan he collects their robes. He claims to have dismantled the kkk in the entire state of Maryland basically through dialogue. There’s a lot of left wingers who should take a page from this guy’s book and he says as much at the end of the article. Here’s a snippet and the instaclip to get it going. What’s everyone think?

Thanks for the thread and you are so right.

• Like 1

There is something personal in this thread for me. The guy is brave and awesome.  He reminds us that we are all human beings with better natures that can come to the  fore. I don't mean to be too innocent about it, there are probably some that still hate his guts.  It would be nice to talk first before judging though. I come from a Southern family with a couple of uncles and a few cousins like those good'ol boys.  When I grew up, I despised them, moved away and cut them out of my life.  I thought they were terrible people.  I never tried to talk to them as adults. Only now so many years later, I remember some of the good times when I was a little kid.   I could have done better talking than being a know-it-all liberal college kid. But hey, being twenty is about having passion, not experience and good judgement,and maybe compassion.  I don't regret my views, just my rigidity and willingness to judge so quickly.  

• Like 4

This guy should be more well known. I wonder why he is not. He deserves to be written into history books. He’s single handedly done things that hundreds of politicians, activist groups and maybe billions of dollars worth of tax funded programs and committees have claimed to want to do but haven’t even come close to achieving. 

• Like 2

Magic fingers ... effortless ... smooth as nectarine juice ...

~

[00.03:13]

~

THere's also a movie ...

Accidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race & America (2016) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt5390430/
Rating: 7.6/10 - ‎595 votes

Documentary · Daryl Davis is an accomplished musician who was played all over the world. .... But I was really glad that the film makers realized how deeply limited Davis's approach was and decided to include his critics from the Southern ...

... saw more than a few links streaming the full movie here and there too ..

• Like 1