Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

OMAD

XenoFish

Okay. I've found that if I eat once per day I have less flare ups from my diverticulitis. What I want to ask is for some help with omad. Anything that could help me create 1600-1800 calorie meals for my dinner given the restrictions that diverticulitis has forced on me.

Any help will be appreciated.

• Like 2

Not sure what foods you can tolerate bud...

Usually when i try and sneak in extra calories i have a "shake" of some sort with my meal and add 4 tablespoons of peanut butter for an extra 400 calories...calorie and nutrient dense and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to drink 4 table spoons of pb than to eat it lol

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to drink 4 table spoons of pb than to eat it lol

Maybe... but where's the fun in THAT?  Dude, you don't have the proper level of awe about Carver's invention!  I literally LIVED on peanut butter and bananas during boot camp at Fort Jackson.  There were lots of choices for food but I got annoyed at having people yelling at me to hurry up, I had buddies waiting for that chair I was in!  I could scarfe down a banana and a few table spoons of PB and go for hours at a dead run :D

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Not sure what foods you can tolerate bud...

Usually when i try and sneak in extra calories i have a "shake" of some sort with my meal and add 4 tablespoons of peanut butter for an extra 400 calories...calorie and nutrient dense and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to drink 4 table spoons of pb than to eat it lol

Seeds and nuts are my enemy. Though I can eat creamy peanut butter. I'm also supposed to stay away from hard to digest foods. I've been living off tuna and ramen since last year.<_<

I can't have greasy foods either. Can't remember why. I need to get out the paper work I got at the hospital and reread it.

• Like 2

I thought you can only eat soft skinless foods with that disorder? My microbiome collapsed in prison because I had a natural non-store bought diet and never used chemical cleaners to a processed diet and heavy exposure to disinfectants and quats . I have a total gluten and soy intolerance now so I know how something that causes inflamed bowels feels. 

I think you might want to cook Native style and make sure everything is cooked to death so your body can move it easier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Maybe... but where's the fun in THAT?  Dude, you don't have the proper level of awe about Carver's invention!  I literally LIVED on peanut butter and bananas during boot camp at Fort Jackson.  There were lots of choices for food but I got annoyed at having people yelling at me to hurry up, I had buddies waiting for that chair I was in!  I could scarfe down a banana and a few table spoons of PB and go for hours at a dead run :D

:lol: :tu:

I've lived on it on and off as a staple for years aswell,that's what has made it so hard to eat it lol

I can drink it in 8 oz's of cold milk with 1 scoop of whey protein and hit about 850 calories in about 8 seconds :rofl:

It takes me about 20 minutes to eat it and i can't stomach anything else haha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Seeds and nuts are my enemy. Though I can eat creamy peanut butter. I'm also supposed to stay away from hard to digest foods. I've been living off tuna and ramen since last year.<_<

I can't have greasy foods either. Can't remember why. I need to get out the paper work I got at the hospital and reread it.

I'll try and think of some things that might be of help,give me a day or two...

I used to have a friend with it,but can't remember exactly how he ate...i know i thought it sounded like pure hell <_<

• Like 1

I was just thinking good aged cheese. I eat bucket loads of goat cheese that my friend makes.

• Like 1

So you're basically looking at a form of intermittent fasting. The question is how to pack 1800 calories into one meal and NOT upset your digestive tract.

As for food choices, it's goddamn confusing. I'm sitting here reading recommended foods for people with your condition. Only eat high fiber! Only eat low fiber! Avoid nuts and seeds! Wait, no, eat all you want! Only consume liquids, etc., etc. WTF.

It's not diverticulitis, but I DO have Crohn's - oh, and (now treated) bowel cancer - so I can't imagine food choices being that much different. Nuts and seeds are my enemy, also, but I do go through frightening amounts of peanut butter. Other than that, my carb sources are basically limited to vegetables in more or less unlimited quantities and fruits at certain times of the day. I don't know which fruits will work best for you, but pineapple is a mainstay for me. It also contains lots of bromelain, which helps a great deal with breaking down animal proteins. Bananas, kiwis, strawberries and any red or blueberries are great, too, but I'm not sure how they'd work with your affliction.

As for protein and fats, I try to concentrate on ones that are as close to natural as possible. Whole organic, free range eggs; grass fed dairy and butter; free range chicken; salmon; mackerel; avocadoes; sardines (I'm YUGE on sardines); grass fed beef. Even if I'm tight on money, I try to stick to the same choices. I also cook just about everything in coconut oil or REAL butter. Flax seed oil, macadamia nut, sesame seed and olive oils are all great, too, but I recommend those for use after cooking. 

The reason I'm telling you all this, again, is that Crohn's and diverticulitis aren't exactly miles apart from one another and I have VERY little trouble with my digestive system when I eat this way. Even if you keep calories the same, I guarantee you'll lean out more, too. Not all calories are created equal, despite what you might hear some say. This method of eating would also be useful for trying to pack in a lot of calories in just one or two meals. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

As for food choices, it's goddamn confusing. I'm sitting here reading recommended foods for people with your condition. Only eat high fiber! Only eat low fiber! Avoid nuts and seeds! Wait, no, eat all you want! Only consume liquids, etc., etc. WTF.

Agreed :lol:

• Like 1

Fish, 

I'm going to take a chance that it will help you and that you won't mock me for doing it, but I'll post something from the UB that pertains directly to your topic that may help you get to where you want to go.

It has to do with how humans are designed to eat only one meal a day. And also, the implication is, what's best is to eat a non-meat and a non-cooked diet.

This info has greatly helped me to get a handle on making it a habit to eat properly, as designed. I must admit, I'm not there yet but I know that I need to get there. I'll say this though, when I have managed to get in the groove of it for at least a little while before I couldn't resist a double cheeseburger and milk shake, the feeling of better health was very pronounced. I noticed that it affected my mood positively too. 

While cooking was universally employed outside of the immediate Adamic sector of Eden, there was no cooking in Adam's household. They found their foods—fruits, nuts, and cereals—ready prepared as they ripened. They ate once a day, shortly after noontime

Fruits, nuts and cereals. That's the key.

No cooking. 

14 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Fish, 

I'm going to take a chance that it will help you and that you won't mock me for doing it, but I'll post something from the UB that pertains directly to your topic that may help you get to where you want to go.

It has to do with how humans are designed to eat only one meal a day. And also, the implication is, what's best is to eat a non-meat and a non-cooked diet.

This info has greatly helped me to get a handle on making it a habit to eat properly, as designed. I must admit, I'm not there yet but I know that I need to get there. I'll say this though, when I have managed to get in the groove of it for at least a little while before I couldn't resist a double cheeseburger and milk shake, the feeling of better health was very pronounced. I noticed that it affected my mood positively too. 

Fruits, nuts and cereals. That's the key.

No cooking. 

I won't mock anyone on their choices in life/lifestyle...

But eating once a day is something impossible for me,as was intermittent fasting i tried for 2 weeks at Yams recommendation...

We have evolved and come from many different backgrounds with many different traits through the years,and what "smaller" humans required many years ago isn't the same in modern times...

"Diet" is what one lives by and does daily without second thought,if it works for you and you maintain health and happiness through it do it... ;)

There is no 1 right way for everyone!

• Like 1

The two highest calorie foods that I can think of have already been mentioned - ramen and PB. And cheese too is really high in calories. Oh, it's also been mentioned.  20% fat mince. I think that has something like 250-350 calories per 100g. Chocolate too.

You could try dressing a salad quite heavily with olive oil as well, as a starter. 

Good luck.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

This pretty much sums it up. I can eat this, I can't eat that, no wait you can eat it, no no no you can't. I'm like wtf people. I used to make banana, apple, peanut butter, and oatmeal smoothies with almond milk after I was first diagnosed. I had those shakes, ate eggs, and tuna-n-ramen for months. Eventually I added spinach to my smoothies.

I've been watching a lot of OMAD videos on youtube as well. This is pretty frustrating. I'm a grazer naturally, but I get full and my guts will hurt so I had to quit. Tried two meals a day and that works as well, though I find I have "bathroom" issues after eating lunch. So I quit eating lunch. Living off coffee during the day and eating like a king at night seems to work, but I'm just hoping to figure a way to get better nutrition. I take a centrum but still. I love food. 

• Like 1

*Snip*  

Edited by tcgram
Did not pay attention to original question

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'll figure it out on my own. 

Sorry, I completely misread your first post.  I will see what I can find with meals.  I work with a bunch of dietitians, after all.  

• Like 2

If you are having regular diverticulitis flare ups, it's best to eat low fiber foods but then gradually increase the fiber to help stop the flare ups.  Since you're only doing one meal a day, you can have foods such as tuna salad, cream of tomato or vegetable soup, baked chicken breast, a cooked vegetable (whatever you like), canned fruit or applesauce, pudding, potatoes if you can tolerate them.   You can also have some milk or almond milk, whatever doesn't bother you.  Fruit juice and graham crackers can also be consumed, again, as long as you can tolerate them.  I hope this helps out.  :) 

• Like 1

That's the problem. There is no clear cut diet I can follow with my divers. To me it seems that excessive eating (binge eating) is what caused the problem. The food waste I have in my gut the more it stretches and caused me to have diverticulitis. So by that logic, I think that a moderate to high fiber diet would be best. Plus time to let everything thoroughly digest. Since I'm making the effort to eat once a day (failed today oh well), that should give my body a solid 22 hours to digest everything. With a 2 hour dinner. Which means I can eat enough to match my 1600-1800 calories a day. 

One thing I have trouble with is how the foods I should eat for my daily fiber are supposedly forbidden. I eat apples fine. Had broccoli (steamed) with no issues. 

https://fullplateliving.org/high-fiber-foods/list

I figure as a personal experiment is that I can eat what I need so long as I can pass it easy. That it digest well and complete. I know this goes against what I'm supposed to do, but I can't suffer malnutrition because of this. 

I've been watching this guys videos for information. Opinions are welcomed same for suggestion. 

OMAD Revolution

I'm just tired of suffering through my divers and I really don't want surgery. So I'm trying to find a natural way to fix (if possible) this.

• Like 2

It IS really hard to pin down a diverticulitis diet as some people can tolerate more fiber whereas others cannot.   I will have to check out the OMAD Revolution videos tomorrow as I have to go to bed soon for work.   

• Like 2

Whoa!!   That's quite a drop.   Maybe eating once a day plus increasing your activity with work?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tcgram said:

Whoa!!   That's quite a drop.   Maybe eating once a day plus increasing your activity with work?

That's what I'm thinking. Since I'm not fueling myself 3 times a day. Maybe I'm burning my jiggle belly off?:lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's what I'm thinking. Since I'm not fueling myself 3 times a day. Maybe I'm burning my jiggle belly off?:lol:

As if you have a jiggle belly.....:rolleyes: