Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Picolin

Orbs

11 posts in this topic

I went outside to my backyard and took some pics with my cellphone. To my surprise I captured a black orb. I have other  photos of blue orbs. This is in my house. Having difficulty attaching photos.

The majority (but not 100%) of orbs in photos are from camera flashes interacting with dust particles.  This has actually increased with the advent of digital cameras since the lens and flash tend to be closer together on them.

Welcome to UM,

Here’s a free cheap program if you want to resize multiple photos at once so you can post them:

https://en.softonic.com/download/fast-image-resizer/windows

Having said that, you should also search the forums for ‘orb’ threads because there are many and they are all pretty much clearly dust/insects/lens flares etc. 

1 person likes this

These orbs were really spheres or they were a star like a point of light radiating?

On 10/24/2017 at 2:36 PM, Spirit Ninja said:

The majority (but not 100%) of orbs in photos are from camera flashes interacting with dust particles.

While we await Picolin being able to find a helper who understands imaging, would you care to show us the best example of those that are not in the majority?  Because I've not yet seen a single 'orb' photograph that wasn't fully explained by well known photographic principles.

Certainly dark or black orbs are a bit rarer, but that is simply because of the nature of images and our perception of light versus dark.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:36 PM, Spirit Ninja said:

This has actually increased with the advent of digital cameras since the lens and flash tend to be closer together on them.

Very true.

On 10/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, Picolin said:

I went outside to my backyard and took some pics with my cellphone. To my surprise I captured a black orb. I have other  photos of blue orbs. This is in my house. Having difficulty attaching photos.

What type of phone/pc/tablet have you got?  If it's not apple :) I/we may be able to help with step by step instructions..

2 people like this

Just now, ChrLzs said:

While we await Picolin being able to find a helper who understands imaging, would you care to show us the best example of those that are not in the majority?  Because I've not yet seen a single 'orb' photograph that wasn't fully explained by well known photographic principles.

Certainly dark or black orbs are a bit rarer, but that is simply because of the nature of images and our perception of light versus dark.

I'm not necessarily saying that I believe in orbs caused by spiritual forces, but here is a link that shows a few examples that I was referring to. https://www.theepochtimes.com/uplift/what-are-orbs-in-photos-spirits-dust_560244.html

4 hours ago, Spirit Ninja said:

I'm not necessarily saying that I believe in orbs caused by spiritual forces, but here is a link that shows a few examples that I was referring to. https://www.theepochtimes.com/uplift/what-are-orbs-in-photos-spirits-dust_560244.html

They look pretty standard... What's weird about any of them? And the deer horn shadow one has a pretty simple explanation.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There is nothing in any of the photos in that article or the 'paper' that shows anything unusual.

Spirit Ninja - are you very experienced with photography?  If so you should know all the following:

1. Items that are out of focus will show as round-ish blobs ('bokeh').

2. Any internal shapes/concentric circles etc are artifacts caused by the lens design.  The lens aperture may also affect the outer shape, eg a 6 bladed aperture will cause a hexagonal 'orb'.

3. For objects that are way out of focus, ie the larger blobs, they will tend to go semi-transparent.

4. For small items near to the lens, they will be brightly illuminated by the camera flash/led light.

5. Distant objects eg stars or streetlamps, may also form 'orbs' if the camera is focused close.

6. Air currents and slight movements by anything in the vicinity of the objects will move them around erratically, and of course insects and bugs move of their own accord.

None of the images on that page show anything not fully explainable above.  As for the laughable claims made by the two 'scientists', in their NOT peer-reviewed 'study' that appeared in the well known JSE, which publishes *anything* for a fee, those claims are idiotic and non-scientific.  For example:

It is not possible to explain orbic objects such as these that move in dynamic and unpredictable paths as being caused by stray reflections. It is also not possible to explain many of them as being caused by dust particles in the air.

Problem is, THEY DIDN'T show or provide any link to the video in which this occurred, nor did they show any sort of analysis of air currents in the environment - in fact they were commenting on a video for which they had NO environmental information whatsoever, and for which they couldn't even check what type of camera was used!  That is the sort of absolute hogwash that NO self-respecting scientist would ever present, and that's why they didn't try to publish this at a proper journal - they would have been laughed out of the place.

Please note for future reference - the Journal of Scientific Exploration is a laughing stock in scientific circles - it deliberately posts speculative and hypothetical papers, and does NOT apply peer review.  DON'T use it as a reference, as your credibility will drop way down.

They go on...

It is neither logical nor responsible at this point to conclude that every [orb] … observed worldwide can be explained by a conventional optical science mechanism such as stray reflection.

And yet they concede that the vast majority are, and offer no properly documented examples with full reasoning, showing why they came to that handwave.  Again, this is laughable and would never be found in a  serious scientific paper.  They give a pitiful example with absolutely zero verification data - it is an IR image that shows an orb.  IR cameras do orbs in exactly the same way as normal cameras and all that the object had to be was lit up by the illumination system on the camera, or .. be warm.  As for the previous example, the image is unable to be verified, we have no idea what equipment was used or what was in that environment...  Are you seeing a pattern?

These alleged image anlaysts also show that they have not got the first clue about the artifacts like the concentric circles inside the larger orbs, which anyone familiar with optics will immediately recognise as 'Newton's Rings' (a very well known lens effect).  They were clearly asleep for a lot of the optics information they should have learnt - frankly I doubt they have any decent optics training whatsoever.

I show examples of these effects (and PROVE they are lens artifacts) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rDD6JPuPE

Anyway, my other 'favorite' bit of that article is this image, credited to Cindy Drukier/Epoch Times:
https://www.theepochtimes.com/assets/uploads/2014/03/shadow-orb-2-2-600x400.jpg
where the article writer, pretending to be knowledgeable, completely disproves that by saying:

An orb hovers near the horn of the ox on the left. It is unusual in that the orb appears to be in front of the horn, yet there is a distinct shadow cast on the orb by the horn.

????
1. The orb is transparent (refer 3. above), and it IS in front of the horn.  We can see through it - duh - as it is transparent.
2. The horn shadows are perfectly consistent with the on-camera flash.  There is no shadow 'on the orb', it is merely showing through the semi-transparent orb.

I see Timonthy has also seen that image and, correctly, sees nothing out of the ordinary.

Seriously, people without a clue like those in that article should not try to analyse images...

If you still feel that any image there is unexplainable, please cite it and explain in detail why, taking into account all the points I have made above (which, frankly, I am repeating for the fifitieth or more time, so forgive me for getting a little exasperated....!)

Edited by ChrLzs
3 people like this

Thank you for providing more insight into this!  

The information is very much welcomed!

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, Spirit Ninja said:

Thank you for providing more insight into this!  

The information is very much welcomed!

have a read of a previous orb thread too

2 people like this