Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China Invents Rice Growable in Salt Water

ExpandMyMind

On 10/26/2017 at 4:17 AM, paperdyer said:

Hi 3rd Eye - No offense taken.  Using a carbon treatment can be expensive but when you're hungry and thirsty the cost doesn't seem quite as bad.  Necessity is the Mother of invention. Some other break through might found while looking for ways to make carbon filtration more economical.

I understand, I am saying from a practical and pragmatic point of view, rice doesn't really top that high among the grains nowadays, and it really does require a very large area for a long term sustainable yield ... another point of contention is the maintenance and upkeep of these carbon filtration systems. There is low enough numbers among the Agro sector as it is for the time being, its not exactly the younger generation is that keen on getting into.

~

On 10/26/2017 at 4:35 AM, DieChecker said:

After reading the comments on the OP link.... It seems the Chinese did not "invent" this rice, but took salt tolerant specimens that already existed and have tried using good old agriculture time tested practices and tried to breed a variety that produces larger yields.

Still is good progress.

Maybe after the ocean sea levels rise? Lots of area that are barely above sea level will then be prime rice country. :o

:lol:

If the sea levels ever reaches that kind of levels, I doubt rice harvests would be anywhere near the kind of priority that would make any kind of a difference, sad to say ...

~