Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone ever have a stint with homelessness?

internetperson

So I really don't think this is gonna happen but if it does I want to be prepared.

I'll be able to physically eat so I won't be going hungry. I do have a small truck and I'll be able to cover insurance and gas. I'm going to look into the homeless shelters around my city but I think they're bad/dangerous. I figure I can sleep in the truck if I have to but I still need to shower and shave.

Like I said I don't think this will happen and if it does it will be temporary, but I'd like advice from someone who's 'been there/done that' so I can avoid surprises.

• Like 2

If your situation is due to alcohol or other substance abuse, have you looked into whether any charities in your area offer free live-in rehab? Are you religious at all? Most of these programs are run by religious organizations and rely on donations, but they may still be willing to accept you so long as you're HONEST with them. Not saying you'd lie about yourself, but please don't try to enter these programs under false pretenses. Some of these places are actually quite good. It might feel a little like jail for a while, but a lot of them will not only offer rehab but help you find a job, put a roof over your head, feed you and get you back on your feet as opposed to just throwing you out on the street after your time is up.

Ask around, call your local United Way to see what resources are available. 

If you are working but simply don't have the money right now to immediately move into housing, have you thought about an extended stay motel or hotel? Many of them offer big discounts if you plan on staying there for a while. 

• Like 1

If you have a Quaker Meeting around you show up on a Sunday after worship. We are required to give food and shelter to anyone who asks. Since you are in Florida there are several Meetings that do this often.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, internetperson said:

So I really don't think this is gonna happen but if it does I want to be prepared.

I'll be able to physically eat so I won't be going hungry. I do have a small truck and I'll be able to cover insurance and gas. I'm going to look into the homeless shelters around my city but I think they're bad/dangerous. I figure I can sleep in the truck if I have to but I still need to shower and shave.

Like I said I don't think this will happen and if it does it will be temporary, but I'd like advice from someone who's 'been there/done that' so I can avoid surprises.

Are you able to stay with any friends or family members if you should find yourself in this temporary situation ? 

2 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

If your situation is due to alcohol or other substance abuse 

Fortunately this is not the issue.

2 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

If you are working but simply don't have the money right now to immediately move into housing, have you thought about an extended stay motel or hotel? Many of them offer big discounts if you plan on staying there for a while. 

Yes but wasn't aware of any discounts, will look into this, thanks. I've been saving money for a long time to start a business and it kills me to dip into the savings. 

I'll look into the Quaker thing, thanks Piney. I wasn't aware of this.

I have friends Astra but I'm really not trying to burden them. I do have family but...it's a long story. 

• Like 1

Well, I hope things works out for you. Wishing you all the very best.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was homeless for a short time when I was much younger; myself and my family lived in our station wagon for roughly 2 months.  We parked in friends' driveways and they allowed us to come in and shower, and my brother and I would sleep in the house.  Our parents would sleep in the car as we had 2 dogs with us as well.    I wish you good luck should you be in this situation.  

• Like 2

It might help to visit the homeless shelter. Not stay there.

But they normally have someone their you can talk to that may know other resources available to you. 

• Like 2