Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breaking News..... Spain Breaks Up !

RoofGardener

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

How much of this banking business, all this Global Financial Powerhouse stuff, is actually for the benefit of the Uk at all? It's all about the Global Economy isn't it. I wonder how much the UK economy actually sees from any of it? I bet most of it goes straight back to New York where the head office invariably is.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549691/UK_Financial_Centres_of_Excellence.pdf

I'm not sure the people of Catalonia initially wanted total independence but just more self authority which Madrid would have rejected anyway because they thought they were already privileged enough. Then Puigdemont decided to go the full monty and change the referendum into a will for independence which truly pi$$ed off Madrid.  Whilst Catalonia contributes approx. 25% to Spain's GDP alone (hence the reason they wanted more a share of the cake than what they believe they are currently getting from Madrid) I doubt they would be financially viable on their own.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe Spain could deeply influence and impede Catalonia's accession to the EU, in the hypothetical eventuality they did separate, which means they (Catalonia) could end up out in the cold looking for trading partners around the world, similar to what the UK will be facing soon but with no where near similar financial resources.  Barcelona turned into a prosperous metropolis in the twentieth century.  I believe independence could be its downfall.

Edited by Black Red Devil

The other day Puigdemont along with four of his ministers handed themselves in to the Belgium Police. - I wonder why they never just returned to Spain and handed themselves in, it seems they might want to drag out the process as we witnessed with Assange and the issuing of a European Arrest Warrant. The Belgium authorities should just return them all forthwith so the trial can start, the sooner they start the sooner they can all be locked up.

I'd have to agree with Stevewinn, in that this DOES look like 'showboating'.

Why would they "turn themselves in" to Belgian police ? They have committed no crime in Belgium, nor has Belgium received an international arrest warrent from Spain. So the Belgian police would surely have no interest in them ?

Presumably their plan is to create great visuals by - metaphorically - being dragged back to Spain in Chains !

• Like 3

14 hours ago, stevewinn said:

The other day Puigdemont along with four of his ministers handed themselves in to the Belgium Police. - I wonder why they never just returned to Spain and handed themselves in, it seems they might want to drag out the process as we witnessed with Assange and the issuing of a European Arrest Warrant. The Belgium authorities should just return them all forthwith so the trial can start, the sooner they start the sooner they can all be locked up.

You almost sound kinda like a pro - establishment/globalist.  What happened, Brexit fizzling out to be the dud we all told you it would be?? :lol:

14 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Why would they "turn themselves in" to Belgian police ? They have committed no crime in Belgium, nor has Belgium received an international arrest warrent from Spain. So the Belgian police would surely have no interest in them ?

Presumably their plan is to create great visuals by - metaphorically - being dragged back to Spain in Chains !

I agree, but would anyone really care?  Almost every country in Europe has some region that thinks its different from the main body because of historical traditions, language variance, cultural ties to other regions/countries, yet they're all happy to stay put.  I actually think this will become reality in the future (the world formed of smaller States/Regions/Counties based on their mutual cultural/historical geopolitics), but not yet.  So I doubt he'll get much support in Europe.  Also, I think Puigdemont overestimated the Catalans willingness to separate from Spain.

He's going to be a lonely man in the near future.  Way to ruin your political career.

22 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

You've got it in one, Its the old 'our great leader' being dragged 'in chains' by an authoritarian repressive Government state where they'll face a corrupt and unfair hearing in court. it'll play well with his supporters but little else.

Im surprised by the people who take the opinion, the automatic almost default position that Catalonia should be accepted as a independent state. - not based on sound legal, democratic, political or constitutional grounds but on totally the opposite, illegal. - That we should all ignore the illegal practices from planning the vote to carrying the vote to declaring independence all because they took on the "establishment/Government" and that's what the cool kids do. well those who class themselves as anti-establishment and beyond the Law because Life is all a conspiracy. your A' typical Assange supporters. 

This is all quite interesting: The Spanish Constitutional Court declared the Referendum illegal (in itself there is NO prohibition against holding one) which set off a series of rather ludicrous events that saw the Spanish Govt. completely over-react to the situation. Had La Moncloa ("Westminster" equivalent) behaved in a more mature fashion and let the referendum go ahead then the independence movement would almost certainly have lost the vote (it was trailing by 10-15% all year) and the situation would have resolved itself without al the ensuing nastiness. 

As it is, the EAW is lodged with Brussels which means that the "Catalan 5" (as I am sure they will be known) were liable for house-arrest (they were told on the first day of its issue that they were forbidden to leave Belgium) so handing themselves in (rather than being publicly arrested) was probably the best thing.

"Sedition" and "Rebellion" are very archaic charges for La Moncloa to bring but it does underline how "militaristic" their Constitution is (remember it was virtually dictated by Franco before his death to appease the Spanish Armed Forces) and how little it is Fit-for-Purpose in the modern age. This is where the UK, not having a written constitution, can evolve its democratic institutions which Spain cannot do because the Constitutional Court needs to approve any changes after a legally constituted referendum requests it.

What you will see in the coming weeks will be a growing anger against La Moncloa for deposing and imprisoning a legally constituted Catalan Government...at some point I see Galicia and Pais Vasco testing the Constitutional waters in a similar way and if that happens then all bets will be off for Spain remaining in its present form. Currently both pro and anti-Catalan Independence groups are coming together to protest the national governments actions I just hope that they all take a step back now, seek a way out of this mess that allows Cataluña and La Moncloa to save face. "Hope" may not reflect "reality" however... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, keithisco said:

This is all quite interesting: The Spanish Constitutional Court declared the Referendum illegal (in itself there is NO prohibition against holding one) which set off a series of rather ludicrous events that saw the Spanish Govt. completely over-react to the situation. Had La Moncloa ("Westminster" equivalent) behaved in a more mature fashion and let the referendum go ahead then the independence movement would almost certainly have lost the vote (it was trailing by 10-15% all year) and the situation would have resolved itself without al the ensuing nastiness. 

As it is, the EAW is lodged with Brussels which means that the "Catalan 5" (as I am sure they will be known) were liable for house-arrest (they were told on the first day of its issue that they were forbidden to leave Belgium) so handing themselves in (rather than being publicly arrested) was probably the best thing.

"Sedition" and "Rebellion" are very archaic charges for La Moncloa to bring but it does underline how "militaristic" their Constitution is (remember it was virtually dictated by Franco before his death to appease the Spanish Armed Forces) and how little it is Fit-for-Purpose in the modern age. This is where the UK, not having a written constitution, can evolve its democratic institutions which Spain cannot do because the Constitutional Court needs to approve any changes after a legally constituted referendum requests it.

What you will see in the coming weeks will be a growing anger against La Moncloa for deposing and imprisoning a legally constituted Catalan Government...at some point I see Galicia and Pais Vasco testing the Constitutional waters in a similar way and if that happens then all bets will be off for Spain remaining in its present form. Currently both pro and anti-Catalan Independence groups are coming together to protest the national governments actions I just hope that they all take a step back now, seek a way out of this mess that allows Cataluña and La Moncloa to save face. "Hope" may not reflect "reality" however... 

you paint a gloomy picture Keith if indeed Spain fractures. no wonder Germany is holding war games for the break up of the EU.

• Like 1

Me thinks that there are enough people's of Catalonia which support separation that this could well lead into a difficult, militant time, for Spain.

Hoping all the best.

• Like 1

This today:

It does look as though Señor(?) Puigdemont has indeed succeeded admirably in making a martyr of himself. 
Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

It seems that Madrid has inadvertently created political martyrs and a rallying point for the independence movement.A substantial turnout of protestors guess it won't be long before Rajoy sends in the paramilitaries for another round of bloodshed. 

On 11/6/2017 at 5:28 AM, Black Red Devil said:

I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe Spain could deeply influence and impede Catalonia's accession to the EU, in the hypothetical eventuality they did separate, which means they (Catalonia) could end up out in the cold looking for trading partners around the world, similar to what the UK will be facing soon but with no where near similar financial resources.  Barcelona turned into a prosperous metropolis in the twentieth century.  I believe independence could be its downfall.

As I see it, if Spain is against independent Catolonia's accession to the EU, their only hope would be fusing with another country. It worked for East Germany and using this precedent, North Ireland will be allowed to do the same if she ever reunite with the Republic of Ireland. For Catalonia, it would probably France at this point, of which the province was part back in the Middle Ages. Or more absurd, the province could fuse with Andorra and use the treaties the micro state already has with EU.

The everchanging map of Europe: Catalonia declares independence, the UK withdraws from the EU...what's next: Scotland, the Basque country, Veneto in Italy, Bavaria in Germany and maybe Greenland declare independence? In North America (the USA where I am), my home state California wants to hold an election next year on whether or not to secede from the union. Quebec has a higher chance of secession, as well Texas and Puerto Rico than California, the majority of our state's voters don't want it...we're very important to the US economy. And for Catalonia, the Spanish government will not let them secede. 

• 1 month later...

The election in Catalonia was meant to solve a political crisis. But separatists parties have won a majority they now they need to form a coalition.

This result is a defeat for Spanish PM Rajoy, a defeat for Madrid? were does Spanish politics go from here? where does the independence issue go? quelled for now?

Edited by stevewinn

The tough love approche back fired spectacularly. At this point, I guess Rajoy should step down and someone else less sanguine should try something different. :mellow:

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 2

...The Spanish Govt. really should have handled the Cataluña situation with more Diplomacy especially with Brexit round the corner and the potential havoc it will cause their economy

On 24 June, the IBEX 35—the benchmark stock market index of Spain's stock exchange—plummeted by 12.3%, the largest fall in its history, as a result of the 'Leave' choice winning in the 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum.  Link:

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 7:07 AM, kartikg said:

Time to roll some tanks and artillery trucks and put an end to this nonsense once for all. 

The army with tanks and artillery used internally to supress citizens?  Does that legitimize the state?