Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat or not

M4mbo number 5

1 hour ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

Hi Lilly,  I ask this on Eric Dubay  (crowd cries BOOO) lol it shows the ship disappearing from the observers eyes perspective but with binoculars or such alike the ship became visible again. Is that because they haven't left the curvature yet?

Light travels in straight lines, so that is impossible and easily disproven by simply taking binoculars down to the beach...  If you've been at a website that makes that sort of claim, it is obviously targeting the sort of people who never check *anything* for themselves.  I'd suggest you be a bit more selective about where you go!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Light travels in straight lines, so that is impossible and easily disproven by simply taking binoculars down to the beach...  If you've been at a website that makes that sort of claim, it is obviously targeting the sort of people who never check *anything* for themselves.  I'd suggest you be a bit more selective about where you go!

Being selective is reason why I'm reading what you've said.. is moving in straight lines from the objective of the observer? Or a universal theorem..???because "Your Light" in straight lines, may only be one facet of the whole. And because we only use 10% of the capacity of the Brain, which has been proven..Yes.. we have no idea what the Whole is...

Edited by ThirdEyePetal
  • Like 1

Here's some fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/flat-earth-believers-youtube-videos-conspiracy-theorists

After reading this article my suspicions are only stronger: of the people who say they believe the earth if flat, 95% of them must be trolls who are just having fun with the remaining 5% who are so poorly educated they actually believe in a flat earth.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

...And because we only use 10% of the capacity we have no idea what the Whole is...

That in itself is a myth, and a long time running:

• Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable, says neurologist Barry Gordon at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore. (Link)
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Here's some fun:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/flat-earth-believers-youtube-videos-conspiracy-theorists

After reading this article my suspicions are only stronger: of the people who say they believe the earth if flat, 95% of them must be trolls who are just having fun with the remaining 5% who are so poorly educated they actually believe in a flat earth.

To say poorly educated is quite segregated.. People get sick of status quo and refer to "other options"..

Just now, ThirdEyePetal said:

To say poorly educated is quite segregated.. People get sick of status quo and refer to "other options"..

Even when that other option is completely wrong. That makes sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

That in itself is a myth, and a long time running:

• Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable, says neurologist Barry Gordon at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore. (Link)

Yes. I laugh also

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Even when that other option is completely wrong. That makes sense.

Depends on what the "other option is" be specific..

5 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

No, "other options" is basically a euphemism for ignoring education—ignoring several centuries of science, geology, geography, physics, astronomy, exploration. The status quo is not a problem. Grasping at excuses is a problem.

• Like 6

From my perspective, and Yes it is limited to my capacity of understanding, the flat earth theory is attacked far more than ufos yetis sasquatch fairy etc blah X2. . Why is that??

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

No, "other options" is basically a euphemism for ignoring education—ignoring several centuries of science, geology, geography, physics, astronomy, exploration. The status quo is not a problem. Grasping at excuses is a problem.

If ignoring status quo education of centuries etc is grasping at excuses then what are questions??

Other posters have brought up good points. I've never been a fan of conspiracy theories and in fact most of them just outright irritate me by their sheer unrealistic themes, but think about it. Some flat earthers do try to use the "conspiracy" angle.

For that to be true, pretty much all of science and its practitioners must be in on it. So is everyone in the airline industry the world over, from pilots to flight attendants. So is everyone in the cruise-ship industry. So is everyone in the world's different space agencies. Et cetera.

How is this at all realistic?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Alternative facts. 

4 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

From my perspective, and Yes it is limited to my capacity of understanding, the flat earth theory is attacked far more than ufos yetis sasquatch fairy etc blah X2. . Why is that??

Because while there is bickering over whether UFOs, Sasquatch, (and no one really believes in fairies anymore) even on the further edge of the conspiracy spectrum it's generally agreed the Earth is a spheroid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

If ignoring status quo education of centuries etc is grasping at excuses then what are questions??

We must never stop asking questions, but let's stick with the right questions—questions that will lead us to further discovery. The flat earth is not a question because it is not remotely realistic. Literally any question a flat earther strives to ask is answered by simple science.

• Like 3

I have similar dim views about UFOs, Bigfoot, and the like. But if we're realistic, I think many people, even I, will admit in the possibility of other life out there in the universe, and of course we have yet to discover all flora and fauna right here on earth. Now, I'm not saying there are races of super-advanced aliens darting about the cosmos, and I'm not saying we'll ever discover a Bigfoot, but certain things still reside within the realm of possibility. A flat earth? No, of course not.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

We must never stop asking questions, but let's stick with the right questions—questions that will lead us to further discovery. The flat earth is not a question because it is not remotely realistic. Literally any question a flat earther strives to ask is answered by simple science.

The foundation of it is biblical literalism. The reasoning is working towards that goal. 

6 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

...(and no one really believes in fairies anymore)...

Speak for yourself. A lovely family of fairies lives in my sock drawer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

It seems to me that you simply won't accept any attempt at answering your questions, which make me wonder why you asked in the first place ?

• Like 4

ThirdEyePetal, don't let my sometimes gruff and blunt nature put you off. And don't let my Moderator status intimidate you, if it has. As SahdowSot will attest, I'm actually a cuddly and lovable mummy.

You will never sway me that the earth is flat, but I do love a good debate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

Speak for yourself. A lovely family of fairies lives in my sock drawer.

Faries or Farsi? Easy mistake to make, y'know. 

• Like 1

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

ThirdEyePetal, don't let my sometimes gruff and blunt nature put you off. And don't let my Moderator status intimidate you, if it has. As SahdowSot will attest, I'm actually a cuddly and lovable mummy.

You will never sway me that the earth is flat, but I do love a good debate.

Very cuddly and loveable, though a little dry. 

• Like 2

Just now, ShadowSot said:

Faries or Farsi? Easy mistake to make, y'know. 

No, no, the Farsi live next door to me. They make the best couscous. The fairies eat nothing but haggis.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 6:19 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

At last someone who agrees with me.

Hey, I love platypuses. Platypi?

Seems like that should be the plural. 

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Hey, I love platypuses. Platypi?

Seems like that should be the plural. 

Oh, please, there is no such animal. A platypus is just a beaver with a duck's bill glued to its face.

150622_WILD_Platypus.jpg.CROP.promo-mediE

Editing to add: According to my dictionary it's "platypuses," although I agree "platypi" sounds better.

Edited by kmt_sesh
Clarification
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'm actually a cuddly and lovable mummy.

But you are still an evil overlord aren't you ? 

Please don't disapoint a poor old yellow man and say that you have turned from the Dark Side.

PS: The Dark Side have the best cookies.

• Like 2