Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat or not

M4mbo number 5

25 minutes ago, M4mbo number 5 said:

I don’t know what to think anymore . Should I dare ask if we went to the moon or not ?

Actually there are lots of theories which indicate that moon does not exist but they are suppressed, so IMHO we never went to moon. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, M4mbo number 5 said:

I don’t know what to think anymore . Should I dare ask if we went to the moon or not ?

Actually there are lots of theories which indicate that moon does not exist but they are suppressed, so IMHO we never went to moon. 

6 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Well, I saw it last night, so.

• Like 3

No Moon?  then whats the white pale round thing in the sky?  The one that causes eclipses?  And tides/waves in our seas?

Besides,  Russia, China, India and Japan...all visited the Moon with unmanned craft

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

I'm confused about this whole flat Earth thing.

The first I heard it mentioned was a link through this site, years and years ago, the flat Earth society website debate - the site was basically a mainly tongue in cheek forum where debaters could hone their craft by arguing against a pretty clearly defined truth (the Earth being a sphere). It was an exercise in how well you could debate.

At what point did it stray from this into people actually believing  the tongue in cheek theory?

Edited by _Only
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, M4mbo number 5 said:

We didn't.

Hi everyone. Im new here.. Just a question.  If the Earth is Oblate  as I've read, why are we constantly visually barraged with the Round Blue Ball in books magazines TV, and being told wholesale that this is the definitive truth..When many disagree it leaves door open for other theories like a flat earth. a square earth a triangle earth. Many different scenarios..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

Hi everyone. Im new here.. Just a question.  If the Earth is Oblate  as I've read, why are we constantly visually barraged with the Round Blue Ball in books magazines TV, and being told wholesale that this is the definitive truth..When many disagree it leaves door open for other theories like a flat earth. a square earth a triangle earth. Many different scenarios..

Welcome.

The answer is: It’s pretty close to a sphere, it looks like a sphere, but technically it’s an oblate spheroid. 

Edit: Think about a cube with a few of the angles off by a degree or two. It would look just like a cube, but technically it would be and irregular cuboid. 

Edit 2: And here’s a good Wiki article, easy to and worth a read! Very clear explanations as to why: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_the_Earth

Here’s the intro: ‘The expression figure of the Earth has various meanings in geodesy according to the way it is used and the precision with which the Earth's size and shape is to be defined. While the sphere is a close approximation of the true figure of the Earth and satisfactory for many purposes, geodesists have developed several models that more closely approximate the shape of the Earth so that coordinate systems can serve the precise needs of navigation, surveying, cadastre, land use, and various other concerns.’

Edited by Timonthy
Edit, Edit 2.
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Welcome.

The answer is: It’s pretty close to a sphere, it looks like a sphere, but technically it’s an oblate spheroid. 

Edit: Think about a cube with a few of the angles off by a degree or two. It would look just like a cube, but technically it would be and irregular cuboid. 

Thank you for the Welcome. . A question. Is a spheroid vertically flat? ( It's best way I can articulate my question) 

9 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Welcome.

Dang, just read your edit. Disregard my earlier question.. thats answered it.. thanks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

Thank you for the Welcome. . A question. Is a spheroid vertically flat? ( It's best way I can articulate my question) 

Question disregarded. :tu:

(And you can edit posts so you don’t need to post twice)

Edited by Timonthy
Body not required.

3 hours ago, M4mbo number 5 said:

If the Earth is flat the Moon can't exist as we know it. So if you believe the Earth is flat you shouldn't believe that we went to the Moon.

On the other hand if you are a rational person the answer is that the Earth is an oblate spheroid and that we have indeed been to the Moon. In fact many countries have been to the Moon, so why blame it all on NASA ?

Where is the “oblate” in all the pictures provided by NASA though? 

Its an oblate spheroid because it isn't a perfect sphere. There is a difference of 43 km between the diameter at the equator and at the poles. So the oblateness (not sure if thats a real word ?) is not very noticeable, but it is there. The average diameter of the Earth is 12.742 km, so why would you expect 43 km (0,3 %) to be noticeable ? 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 5

Asking questions is good. But life will be very confusing if you don’t think critically. 

Seek the answers but don’t get sucked in by the multitude of BS out there. 

• Like 5

The earth is flat?

The moon doesn't exist?

:wacko:

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 5

If you are serious about answering that question I recommend that you go here: http://www.clavius.org/index.html

Let consider this logically

If the earth was a sphere - we'd all fall off. the ancients knew this so they correctly assumed the earth was flat.

Now that we know the earth is flat, then why don't we fall off the edges. Well that's easy because either the earth is infinite - which we know its not - or because all the edges join up to - meaning there are no edges. 

which rather inconveniently brings us back to a sphere.

The only answer is the ancients weren't as smart as we thought they were.

• Like 2

I know we discuss some pretty far out ideas on UM, but seriously... there should be limits... :rolleyes:

Anyway...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, _Only said:

I'm confused about this whole flat Earth thing.

The first I heard it mentioned was a link through this site, years and years ago, the flat Earth society website debate - the site was basically a mainly tongue in cheek forum where debaters could hone their craft by arguing against a pretty clearly defined truth (the Earth being a sphere). It was an exercise in how well you could debate.

At what point did it stray from this into people actually believing  the tongue in cheek theory?

Here's what happens. People make something that's as you mentioned a joke or mockery of something. Then you have 'people' that believe what they say is legit. This leads to pointless debates about the earth being a spherical shape or flat. In my case enough eye rolling to make people think I'm possessed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Let consider this logically

If the earth was a sphere - we'd all fall off. the ancients knew this so they correctly assumed the earth was flat.

Now that we know the earth is flat, then why don't we fall off the edges. Well that's easy because either the earth is infinite - which we know its not - or because all the edges join up to - meaning there are no edges. 

which rather inconveniently brings us back to a sphere.

The only answer is the ancients weren't as smart as we thought they were.

I think there is this thing called Gravity. In which the mass of an object attracts things to it. Since the earth is really big and we are really small compared to the earth. It find us very attractive and wants to hold onto us very tight.

As for the ancients being smart. They survived. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in their intellectual pursuits. Though many are forerunners of what we now know. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Its an oblate spheroid because it isn't a perfect sphere.

Don't talk about Earth like that! So what if she put on a little water weight.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Don't talk about Earth like that! So what if she put on a little water weight.

I'm sorry about that. What I really meant to write is that the Earth is differently round. :whistle:

• Like 3

If the Earth is flat, show me the "edge"...it's gotta be "over there" somewhere...and how "thick" is this flat Earth? ...and why do we have volcanos with a flat Earth? Lots of unanswered questions.

• Like 3