Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great Deception - Riddle of Britain

The Puzzler

There's no evidence that stones in constructions in South America were vitrified.

Forts in Scotland are another matter.

Harte

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harte said:

There's no evidence that stones in constructions in South America were vitrified.

Forts in Scotland are another matter.

Harte

Core and veneer architecture. Stone core vitrifies when wood veneer burns as from siege.

• Like 2

Yes, presumably.

But, no evidence of vitrification in constructions found in South America.

Harte

• Like 2

Hi Passing Time, I'm fine thanks mate.

To the vitrification posts, it's an unexplained mystery in itself isn't it? Science can't exactly say every one is from mans hand burning I don't think.

However, I can't really find a clear answer on the heat from a passing comet. Impacts do suggest vitrification of sands surrounding the impact. Many pseudo sites are claiming it though. They are all over Northern Europe too, not just in Scotland.

Something may have happened, outside of mans hand, maybe not a comet. The heat from the Phaethon event must have been very intense, whatever it was exactly.

Phaethon quickly lost control of the immortal steeds and the sun-chariot veered out of control setting the earth ablaze. The plains of Africa were scorched to desert and men charred black. Zeus, appalled by the destruction, smote the boy with a thunderbolt, hurling his flaming body into the waters of the River Eridanos.

The plains of Africa were scorched to desert and the men charred black. This was no hot summer, it was caused by an event. "Setting the earth ablaze" it directly states that.

The earliest version of this poem is actually set in Iberia, Spain. (5th c.BC)

ie; At these words, Dionysos rejoiced in hope of victory; then he questioned Hermes and wished to hear more of the Olympian tale which the Celts of the west know well:

A later one actually has an interesting interpretation of it all and a possible importance of the story itself, mentioning when Atlas could hardly hold the Heavens, as being part of it.

As he spoke, Phaethon drove harder still, drawing his car aside to Notos (the South), to Boreas (the North), close to Zephyros (the West), near to Euros (the East). There was tumult in the sky shaking the joints of the immovable universe : the very axle bent which runs through the middle of the revolving heavens [i.e. the pole around which the constellations revolve]. Libyan Atlas could hardly support the self-rolling firmament of stars, as he rested on his knees with bowed back under this greater burden . . . [and all the constellations and stars were thrown from their paths into disarray.]
Then father Zeus struck down Phaethon with a thunderbolt, and sent him rolling helplessly from on high into the stream of Eridanos. He fixed again the joints which held all together with their primeval union, gave back the horses to Helios, brought the heavenly chariot to the place of rising; and the agile Horai that attended upon Phaethon followed their ancient course.

http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Phaethon.html

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

Personally, I see the impact on Scotland as the least likely part of his whole theory.

The surrounding conditions following the impact on Saaremaa may have affected the whole of Northern Europe in terms of climate change, society changes, disfunctions in all directions, I have my own thoughts that early Celtic society formed out of migrations from Scandinavia, Finland and Saaremaa after the Kaali impact but the part of his theory of an actual impact in Scotland seems a little weak...

Kaali is a group of 9 meteorite craters in the village of Kaali on the Estonian island of Saaremaa.[1] Most recent estimates put its formation shortly after 1530–1450 BC (3237+/-10 14C yr BP)

Pumice found at Tell el Dab'a in Egypt that matches the composition of the Thera eruption has been dated to 1540 BCE, closer to the traditionally-accepted date of Thera's eruption.

While in the Mediterranean, they had their own situations going on. A time of upheavals everywhere.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, Harte said:

Yes, presumably.

But, no evidence of vitrification in constructions found in South America.

Harte

None at all.

On 12/16/2017 at 10:59 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Core and veneer architecture. Stone core vitrifies when wood veneer burns as from siege.

Greetings Hammerclaw,

You and Harte may enjoy the following recent research:

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep40028

Short version:

https://blogs.egu.eu/geolog/2016/05/25/great-walls-of-fire-vitrification-and-thermal-engineering-in-the-british-iron-age/

Additional:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/248579630_New_field_and_geochemical_evidence_from_vitrified_forts_in_South_Morar_and_Moidart_NW_Scotland_further_insight_into_melting_and_the_process_of_vitrification

Also, further studies indicate that the vitrification practices were not limited to Scotland:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160303-archaeology-history-forts-vitrification/

http://samla.raa.se/xmlui/bitstream/handle/raa/2745/1992_001.pdf?sequence=1

Enjoy, and the best of Holiday Seasons to both of you.

• Like 5

On 12/16/2017 at 3:38 AM, Passing Time said:

Very good Kenemet...... i was aware that it was parts that broke off the comet , that caused the 9 craters in Saarama ......and not the heat......LOL......although the heat would have been tremendous.

At the estimated velocity of the comet at 1800 km per minute , and the distance from Kaali to Peru being approx 11,000 km .. it would only have taken around 6 minutes for it to have crossed the ocean.

From all the information i have , it is not possible people could have vitrified these rocks with the technology of the estimated time frame .

However, the comet is not traveling in a flat trajectory - it's impacted by the atmosphere (slows it down) and gravity.  If there was no atmosphere, it might come in at a trajectory that would carry it that far.  If you care to tinker with the parameters, you can play at this site: https://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/

Now...as I understand it, the claim of "vitrification" is not necessarily confirmed in Peru.  It was made by someone who looked at the rocks (not a geologist) and said "whoa! vitrified!"  They do have vitrified forts in Scotland and some in Europe.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrified_fort

• Like 1

On 17/12/2017 at 2:17 PM, The Puzzler said:

Phaethon quickly lost control of the immortal steeds and the sun-chariot veered out of control setting the earth ablaze. The plains of Africa were scorched to desert and men charred black. Zeus, appalled by the destruction, smote the boy with a thunderbolt, hurling his flaming body into the waters of the River Eridanos.

That seems to me to be a myth to explain why the peoples in Africa are so darkly skinned compared to the Greeks.

17 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That seems to me to be a myth to explain why the peoples in Africa are so darkly skinned compared to the Greeks.

I thought the same when I read that.

Harte