Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NFL Chat

LucidElement

I’m going to tell you all that I’m about to Vent right now due to an article I just read from the fox sport ceo regarding why NFL viewership has declined ... I’m posting the intro to the article RIGHT BELOW in quotes followed  by the link .... then below is my rant .. followed by some self contradiction and love/hate for the game... sorry in advance if some words or sentences don’t make sense .... I’m, for the first time using Siri for voice record Instead of typing it out.. (the article and link however is control/copied) .. been on UM since 2003 and this has to be my longest thread lol. So here we go...

—————————————————————————

Quote from Link,

“””””

For the second year in a row, NFL ratings have taken a slight tumble. Through the first seven weeks of the season, TV viewership is down roughly 5 percent from the same point of the 2016 season and about 18 percent from the same period of the 2015 season. 

Although there have been a lot of theories on why the NFL's TV numbers have

- from Donald Trump to national anthem protesters to Roger Goodell feuding with players -- Fox chief executive officer James Murdoch isn't buying into any of them.

Murdoch, who spoke at the Paley International Council Summit in New York on Wednesday, said he believes ratings are down because there's an "overproliferation" of football. Basically, there are so many opportunities for fans to watch games that the market is now oversaturated. 

"There's a question mark for the NFL, which is just to think hard about how they're licensing," Murdoch said, via Ad Week. "So I do think the proliferation of Thursday availability -- and the proliferation of football generally -- does mean that you're asking a lot from customers to watch Thursday. And then they watch a lot more college football game on Saturdays, and then on Sundays, and then on "Monday Night Football," etc. It's a lot. So I do think that preserving the scarcity value of those events and that audience is something that is worth thinking about."””””””

Link: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fox-ceo-has-theory-on-why-nfl-ratings-are-down-and-its-not-because-of-protests/

——————————————————————————-

MY OPINION;

There is so much going on in the NFL right now, between politics, between ratings being dropped, dirty hits etc.  there are so many things that I do and do not agree with that the NFL players are trying to get involved in. These individuals are making multiple million dollars a year and they are trying  to voice their opinion. I have no issue with anyone trying to voice their opinion however I do have an issue with these individuals only trying to voice their opinion on a Sunday afternoon right before kick off. The reason I’m posting this is because I came across an interesting article from one individual from CBS Sports that talks about why he believes the ratings are down. It happens to be the FOX CEO’s opinion. I really do believe it could be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. I will post the link and I want to know what you all think about it. All I’m going to say is, he believes that between Thursday night football, Saturday college football, Sunday NFL football, Monday night football that it’s too overwhelming for viewers and that is why the ratings have dropped..

We can safely say that since around the mid 2000’s thousands, 2005-06, more accurately, once Thursday night football launched everyone had not had any issue watching football that extra night. Individuals that follow football and enjoy the sport love watching it, Thursday through Monday. The CEO for Fox in my opinion is trying to save his ratings by making some bogus statement like that. I never comment on statements ever. However this really rubbed me the wrong way. He’s probably p***ed that Thursday night football is on the NFL NETWORK and not Fox. Anyways....

How is the CEO  going to come out and express in an interview that what’s been going on has nothing to do with Trump or with the kneeling against the national flag. In my opinion and A LOT of other folks out there I’ve spoken to,  it has EVERYTHING to do with the PLAYERS KNEELING. Viewship declines have nothing to do with watching too much football.. that’s almost a joke that statement.. NEWS ALERT! Prior to trumps statement, and the kneels towards the national anthem ... no one had any problems watching “too much” football. 

I will say, as I did earlier that this season has to be some of the most violent tackles, violent headhunter type shots I’ve seen.  Between Derek Carr, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, and then the dirty hit on Joe Flacco it just goes to show you that no one tackles with the wrap around anymore, it’s all shoulder to chest, or shoulder to head hits.... and still helmet to helmet... and players make to many millions to care if they get fined 70grand or what not..

Half of me wants to stop watching it, but I’m also contradicting myself because I still enjoy a little draft kings, fantasy football. But there’s going to be a point very soon, if this keep up Im going to drop it all, which would be a shame. People should not be wanting to go for throats. (the Bounty Head scandal in 09’ where Payton paid extra for his players to injury the teammates of the opposite team was rediculous.

This is almost like the Roman empire, and everyone is fighting in the Colosseum. However in the Colosseum you die on impact, your brain doesn’t rattle and then 20 years later you develop CTE.. 

PS, the Kiko Alonso hit on Joe Flacco was so dirty. And the fact that he stood up and went over to argue with Harbaugh upset me even more... because you know Kiko was arguing his case...

CONTRADICTION & NFL CHAT FOR FELLOW FANS... SUNDAY TALK GOES DOWN HERE.

All right so the previous statement was me venting about this fox sports CEO  coming out and making some sorry excuse about how there’s too much football to be followed. Now, does anyone play any fantasy football? Anyone have legit fantasy teams that they would like to share? 

Since I did label this NFL chat, I would like to hear your thoughts on your favorite teams, players, sleepers for week eight, do you think will have a great season. I want this to be more or less NFL channel.

SUPER BOWL champ predictions ? No way It will be patriots , their defense is terrible. Lol. Yet they keep getting lucky and pulling through ... Jenkins caught that ball for a TD, which ,ay or May have not changed the momentum for that game.  NICK FOLK missing three field goals was something of awesomeness, SAID NO ONE EVER... Then against the Texans where they left Cooks wide open in end zone is insane ... I’m not going to say that Patriots aren’t beyond talented and have a great club but I will say they get luckyyy... Hell, when they played the Hawks in the Super Bowl and the Hawks didn’t run it in with beast mode (Marshawn Lynch) and threw The interception was luckyyyyyyy....

Hahah, go Jets & Chargers... but Bolts need to go back to San Diego, nothing is good for them there. They don’t have the heart of their fans In Los Angeles.. I mean RAIDERS/CHARGERS/RAMS sharing a close network ...DISASTER. (Wish San Diego could afford the new stadium and I hope soon chargers go back home.. no one liked the LA Chargers back I’m the 60s or what not.. but they certainly are the SAN DIEGO CHARGERS.

Edited by LucidElement

18 hours ago, LucidElement said:

I’m going to tell you all that I’m about to Vent right now due to an article I just read from the fox sport ceo regarding why NFL viewership has declined ... I’m posting the intro to the article RIGHT BELOW in quotes followed  by the link .... then below is my rant .. followed by some self contradiction and love/hate for the game... sorry in advance if some words or sentences don’t make sense .... I’m, for the first time using Siri for voice record Instead of typing it out.. (the article and link however is control/copied) .. been on UM since 2003 and this has to be my longest thread lol. So here we go...

—————————————————————————

Quote from Link,

“””””

For the second year in a row, NFL ratings have taken a slight tumble. Through the first seven weeks of the season, TV viewership is down roughly 5 percent from the same point of the 2016 season and about 18 percent from the same period of the 2015 season. 

Although there have been a lot of theories on why the NFL's TV numbers have

- from Donald Trump to national anthem protesters to Roger Goodell feuding with players -- Fox chief executive officer James Murdoch isn't buying into any of them.

Murdoch, who spoke at the Paley International Council Summit in New York on Wednesday, said he believes ratings are down because there's an "overproliferation" of football. Basically, there are so many opportunities for fans to watch games that the market is now oversaturated. 

"There's a question mark for the NFL, which is just to think hard about how they're licensing," Murdoch said, via Ad Week. "So I do think the proliferation of Thursday availability -- and the proliferation of football generally -- does mean that you're asking a lot from customers to watch Thursday. And then they watch a lot more college football game on Saturdays, and then on Sundays, and then on "Monday Night Football," etc. It's a lot. So I do think that preserving the scarcity value of those events and that audience is something that is worth thinking about."””””””

Link: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fox-ceo-has-theory-on-why-nfl-ratings-are-down-and-its-not-because-of-protests/

——————————————————————————-

MY OPINION;

There is so much going on in the NFL right now, between politics, between ratings being dropped, dirty hits etc.  there are so many things that I do and do not agree with that the NFL players are trying to get involved in. These individuals are making multiple million dollars a year and they are trying  to voice their opinion. I have no issue with anyone trying to voice their opinion however I do have an issue with these individuals only trying to voice their opinion on a Sunday afternoon right before kick off. The reason I’m posting this is because I came across an interesting article from one individual from CBS Sports that talks about why he believes the ratings are down. It happens to be the FOX CEO’s opinion. I really do believe it could be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. I will post the link and I want to know what you all think about it. All I’m going to say is, he believes that between Thursday night football, Saturday college football, Sunday NFL football, Monday night football that it’s too overwhelming for viewers and that is why the ratings have dropped..

We can safely say that since around the mid 2000’s thousands, 2005-06, more accurately, once Thursday night football launched everyone had not had any issue watching football that extra night. Individuals that follow football and enjoy the sport love watching it, Thursday through Monday. The CEO for Fox in my opinion is trying to save his ratings by making some bogus statement like that. I never comment on statements ever. However this really rubbed me the wrong way. He’s probably p***ed that Thursday night football is on the NFL NETWORK and not Fox. Anyways....

How is the CEO  going to come out and express in an interview that what’s been going on has nothing to do with Trump or with the kneeling against the national flag. In my opinion and A LOT of other folks out there I’ve spoken to,  it has EVERYTHING to do with the PLAYERS KNEELING. Viewship declines have nothing to do with watching too much football.. that’s almost a joke that statement.. NEWS ALERT! Prior to trumps statement, and the kneels towards the national anthem ... no one had any problems watching “too much” football. 

I will say, as I did earlier that this season has to be some of the most violent tackles, violent headhunter type shots I’ve seen.  Between Derek Carr, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, and then the dirty hit on Joe Flacco it just goes to show you that no one tackles with the wrap around anymore, it’s all shoulder to chest, or shoulder to head hits.... and still helmet to helmet... and players make to many millions to care if they get fined 70grand or what not..

Half of me wants to stop watching it, but I’m also contradicting myself because I still enjoy a little draft kings, fantasy football. But there’s going to be a point very soon, if this keep up Im going to drop it all, which would be a shame. People should not be wanting to go for throats. (the Bounty Head scandal in 09’ where Payton paid extra for his players to injury the teammates of the opposite team was rediculous.

This is almost like the Roman empire, and everyone is fighting in the Colosseum. However in the Colosseum you die on impact, your brain doesn’t rattle and then 20 years later you develop CTE.. 

PS, the Kiko Alonso hit on Joe Flacco was so dirty. And the fact that he stood up and went over to argue with Harbaugh upset me even more... because you know Kiko was arguing his case...

CONTRADICTION & NFL CHAT FOR FELLOW FANS... SUNDAY TALK GOES DOWN HERE.

All right so the previous statement was me venting about this fox sports CEO  coming out and making some sorry excuse about how there’s too much football to be followed. Now, does anyone play any fantasy football? Anyone have legit fantasy teams that they would like to share? 

Since I did label this NFL chat, I would like to hear your thoughts on your favorite teams, players, sleepers for week eight, do you think will have a great season. I want this to be more or less NFL channel.

SUPER BOWL champ predictions ? No way It will be patriots , their defense is terrible. Lol. Yet they keep getting lucky and pulling through ... Jenkins caught that ball for a TD, which ,ay or May have not changed the momentum for that game.  NICK FOLK missing three field goals was something of awesomeness, SAID NO ONE EVER... Then against the Texans where they left Cooks wide open in end zone is insane ... I’m not going to say that Patriots aren’t beyond talented and have a great club but I will say they get luckyyy... Hell, when they played the Hawks in the Super Bowl and the Hawks didn’t run it in with beast mode (Marshawn Lynch) and threw The interception was luckyyyyyyy....

Hahah, go Jets & Chargers... but Bolts need to go back to San Diego, nothing is good for them there. They don’t have the heart of their fans In Los Angeles.. I mean RAIDERS/CHARGERS/RAMS sharing a close network ...DISASTER. (Wish San Diego could afford the new stadium and I hope soon chargers go back home.. no one liked the LA Chargers back I’m the 60s or what not.. but they certainly are the SAN DIEGO CHARGERS.

We already have a NFL thread that is probably around 70 pages long here... :huh: :lol:

• Like 2

We're starting another since there is all sorts of different issues I've addressed lol. Plus I worked hard on it :). 

How right am I about the fox CEO statement about how it's all of a sudden just to much football to watch lol.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

We're starting another since there is all sorts of different issues I've addressed lol. Plus I worked hard on it :). 

How right am I about the fox CEO statement about how it's all of a sudden just to much football to watch lol.

I hear ya man lol,just figured i'd give ya a heads up :lol:

We've already aired most of our grievances between the NFL and "Protest" threads...

I'm not the biggest NFL fan anyway,and yeah there is to much of it considering regular season losses don't mean a whole lot of anything...meh :lol:

The morons in the NFL don't get things, obviously. If they crash and burn it's their own fault. As much as I love the game, I'd actually like to see it.

On 10/29/2017 at 2:31 AM, LucidElement said:

no one tackles with the wrap around anymore, it’s all shoulder to chest, or shoulder to head hits.... and still helmet to helmet... and players make to many millions to care if they get fined 70grand or what not..

I wonder myself how long it will take to actually rid the NFL of this. I was an average high school DB but we were encouraged to hit as hard as possible to 'send a message,' especially on the first hit. The sight of a receiver leaping for a pass unable to protect himself from me blasting him at full speed would make my mouth water. Standing up and walking away as if nothing happened as they were writhing on the ground felt great. It's sick I know but it was how we were taught. If you sent someone out in an ambulance it was bragging rights. So just imagine what's going through the mind of a 20something year old who wants to watch their hit on ESPN. Like you said it's not like they're struggling to pay bills.

I don't mean to play devils advocate but the chance of catching a pass is a lot higher if you know someone will wrap you up and pull you down rather than take you out. This is in part what made a great receiver; catching the pass, taking the hit and ready to go again.

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, internetperson said:

I wonder myself how long it will take to actually rid the NFL of this. I was an average high school DB but we were encouraged to hit as hard as possible to 'send a message,' especially on the first hit. The sight of a receiver leaping for a pass unable to protect himself from me blasting him at full speed would make my mouth water. Standing up and walking away as if nothing happened as they were writhing on the ground felt great. It's sick I know but it was how we were taught. If you sent someone out in an ambulance it was bragging rights. So just imagine what's going through the mind of a 20something year old who wants to watch their hit on ESPN. Like you said it's not like they're struggling to pay bills.

I don't mean to play devils advocate but the chance of catching a pass is a lot higher if you know someone will wrap you up and pull you down rather than take you out. This is in part what made a great receiver; catching the pass, taking the hit and ready to go again.

Nicely stated 

On 11/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, internetperson said:

The sight of a receiver leaping for a pass unable to protect himself from me blasting him at full speed would make my mouth water. Standing up and walking away as if nothing happened as they were writhing on the ground felt great. It's sick I know but it was how we were taught.

Hell yes , we had to run laps if we passed up a hit on a "defenseless receiver".

Im a bit cold blooded I suppose but I dont really care about the player's health beyond my fantasy team. They make millions upon millions to sacrifice their bodies to entertain us, dont want to make the sacrifice, dont play. I guarantee you people will continue to play despite the CTE discovery.