Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meditation - a miracle cure ?

UM-Bot

I was wondering how long it would be before the drug companies began attacking meditation.

I have also been curious why the word placebo is used to dismiss healing in many. Like its a negative thing. Placebo basically means using the power of belief to heal ones self. Being that in many cases it actually works, why would that be cast aside? You'd think all kinds of studies would come out trying to harness this power. Right up till you realize there is no money in it. Well at least not as much money as giving people pills perpetually does.

I don't think the drug companies have to much to worry about though. Meditation, like anything else is actually hard to do, especially at first. I personally know several people who one day plan to meditate, but never seem to get around to it. Or they try it once or twice, and stop long before they see benefits, cause it wasn't easy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What if everything the drug corp sells are placebos? 

Isn't that why drug trials use placebos as controls?

I don't think meditation is a cure all like how the media can portray it. But I do think meditation can be beneficial. Stress reduction and relaxation can be pretty beneficial. It can help with learning how to focus, and that can be helpful to folks that have problems focusing. I don't think all meditation is just sitting and breathing either- some folks get their zen on much more actively, like with martial arts, or walking in nature, or mowing the lawn or gardening, or getting into music.

It is indeed a placebo effect- a harmless thing to provide psychological benefit. Sometimes positive psychological benefits can have some minor physiological effects. No miracle cures, no magic bullets. But still useful none the less. Sleeping was mentioned in the video. I do use a meditation technique to help me fall asleep, and it does help a lot. I realize it's just the mental conditioning and training aspect- like how some people have a routine of a cup of tea and reading before bed and so on. And I'm ok with the knowledge that it's just a mental trick. Not everyone is ok with that or some folks can't even make it work at all when the placebo is handed to them and they are told it's just a trick.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, rashore said:

I don't think meditation is a cure all like how the media can portray it. But I do think meditation can be beneficial. Stress reduction and relaxation can be pretty beneficial. It can help with learning how to focus, and that can be helpful to folks that have problems focusing. I don't think all meditation is just sitting and breathing either- some folks get their zen on much more actively, like with martial arts, or walking in nature, or mowing the lawn or gardening, or getting into music.

It is indeed a placebo effect- a harmless thing to provide psychological benefit. Sometimes positive psychological benefits can have some minor physiological effects. No miracle cures, no magic bullets. But still useful none the less. Sleeping was mentioned in the video. I do use a meditation technique to help me fall asleep, and it does help a lot. I realize it's just the mental conditioning and training aspect- like how some people have a routine of a cup of tea and reading before bed and so on. And I'm ok with the knowledge that it's just a mental trick. Not everyone is ok with that or some folks can't even make it work at all when the placebo is handed to them and they are told it's just a trick.

I don't think meditation is the cure all either. That's why my suspicion was raised just by the title. I don't know anyone, and I know a lot of meditators, that think it is the cure all. 

Meditation has major physiological effects though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Mindfulness meditation has become popular recently, but does it actually work ?

I have meditated on receiving more money and it worked. I haven't tried it for healing the body but I am sure it works if you know what you are doing.