Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any experienced welders in here?

internetperson

We have a lot of bright and talented folks on this forum so I figure there's gotta be a welder on here who can help me out. I have a few basic questions and would like to shoot a message to whoever can help me. Thanks in advance

google "welding forums".... best place for expert answers

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2017 at 4:54 PM, internetperson said:

We have a lot of bright and talented folks on this forum so I figure there's gotta be a welder on here who can help me out. I have a few basic questions and would like to shoot a message to whoever can help me. Thanks in advance

What would you like to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 0:41 PM, hetrodoxly said:

What would you like to know.

For starters, basic safety rules. I'm pretty sure I've got everything covered; have gloves and mask and I know not to weld around aerosol cans, gas, etc. Anything else? When I was growing up I was taught working with lumber so I know little things that have helped me to keep my fingers over the years. When it comes to welding nobody is teaching me so I don't really know anything that isn't covered in the manual (Lincoln 140).

I'm actually going to be testing this out probably today but anyway I've a question on grounding. Do I ground to the piece of metal I'm welding or to a separate piece of metal? Let me cut to the chase: I have a piece of steel that's been laying around since god knows how long (about 5' X 5') and I intend to use that to practice with. My practice will start with running beads (cursive 'e' style). I've cut several sections out of the steel which are about 3" x 1'. I've grind the rust off so that the steel is shiny.

So here's the issue: My welding table consists of 3 metal saw horses and whatever material I put on top of that. So if I have to ground to my 'welding table' then I'm going to have to rig a decent ground but if I have to ground to the material being welded then I should be ok.... Right? 

19 minutes ago, internetperson said:

For starters, basic safety rules. I'm pretty sure I've got everything covered; have gloves and mask and I know not to weld around aerosol cans, gas, etc. Anything else? When I was growing up I was taught working with lumber so I know little things that have helped me to keep my fingers over the years. When it comes to welding nobody is teaching me so I don't really know anything that isn't covered in the manual (Lincoln 140).

I'm actually going to be testing this out probably today but anyway I've a question on grounding. Do I ground to the piece of metal I'm welding or to a separate piece of metal? Let me cut to the chase: I have a piece of steel that's been laying around since god knows how long (about 5' X 5') and I intend to use that to practice with. My practice will start with running beads (cursive 'e' style). I've cut several sections out of the steel which are about 3" x 1'. I've grind the rust off so that the steel is shiny.

So here's the issue: My welding table consists of 3 metal saw horses and whatever material I put on top of that. So if I have to ground to my 'welding table' then I'm going to have to rig a decent ground but if I have to ground to the material being welded then I should be ok.... Right? 

Basics

ALWAYS wear a proper face shield.
    ALWAYS wear close-toed shoes.
    ALWAYS wear a long-sleeved, non-flammable shirt.
    ALWAYS wear proper welding gloves.
    ALWAYS wear ear protection (earplugs or muffs) to prevent sparks from entering your ear canal.

MORE

https://wiki.artisansasylum.com/index.php/Basic_welding_safety_rules

then click this link for answers to grounding

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ground+to+my+'welding+table'&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=P-8RWuiWJc_68AeLhZvoBA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internetperson said:

I assume lincoln 140 is an arc welder (stick) is it inverter or transformer?, if you're working off a steel bench (earth) ground it to the bench it makes everything much easier but it makes no difference if you do ground it to the work piece, make sure your rods are dry if your working in a damp or humid environment short the rods to earth you'll see smoke coming off them as they dry, damp rods cause flux to break off and fall into the weld pool this is the cause of most hole, what type of head shield do you have? have it as dark as you can and still see where your welding (arc eye is terrible) if your're struggling to see where you'r welding use an external light on the work piece, another hard earned tip is don't leave electric tools (plugged in) ie angle grinders etc on the workbench if it is badly grounded electricity will take it's shortest path to earth and burn it out, if you need any other info just ask.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2017 at 6:26 PM, hetrodoxly said:

I assume lincoln 140 is an arc welder (stick)

Not sure but my best guess is no, it's not a stick welder. It uses wire. I attended a few classes on welding at a community college and they started us out with stick...I think. Here's the manufacturers website on the welder: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2480-1(LincolnElectric)

is it inverter or transformer?

I've no idea. My electrical knowledge is limited to auto repair (DC). That being said I'm just plugging it into the wall socket (120V AC). Also inside the welder the polarity can be switched.

what type of head shield do you have? have it as dark as you can and still see where your welding (arc eye is terrible) if your're struggling to see where you'r welding use an external light on the work piece, another hard earned tip is don't leave electric tools (plugged in) ie angle grinders etc on the workbench if it is badly grounded electricity will take it's shortest path to earth and burn it out, if you need any other info just ask.

Regarding the head shield I don't know how to specifically answer this question other than to say it's a basic full face/shield that can be bought at any hardware store. It seems to work fine, it's the same one I used at community college so the instructor would've given it the ok. In my practice I haven't had any issues but yeah once I flip the shaded eye protection down I can't see a thing till the welding starts. 

Thanks for the tip on the electric tools! I just bought a new grinder and I do suspect the ground I'm working with is shoddy.

I've taken a few pics of my first practice beads. They're not 'biting' so to speak but just splattering. I'm practicing with 16 gauge which apparently doesn't require shielding gas so I don't think that's the issue but I dunno. 

EDIT: Okay so here's my first practice run from the other day:

37697173655_0d62f779e0_z.jpg

When I was practicing I started on the top first and went down from there, after allowing a bit of time for cooling. The first 'bead' at the top wasn't a practice but more so a test to make sure everything was functional and that I wasn't going to get electrocuted or who knows what. From there I adjusted voltage. I adjusted wire speed a bit but not too much (I'm going to do that today as well as rig a better ground). The last bead on the bottom I turned the voltage all the way up which didn't seem to make much a difference. I suspect the issue is grounding or wire speed but again I dunno. 

Edited by internetperson
upload pic

4 hours ago, internetperson said:

Not sure but my best guess is no, it's not a stick welder. It uses wire. I attended a few classes on welding at a community college and they started us out with stick...I think. Here's the manufacturers website on the welder: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2480-1(LincolnElectric)

I've no idea. My electrical knowledge is limited to auto repair (DC). That being said I'm just plugging it into the wall socket (120V AC). Also inside the welder the polarity can be switched.

Regarding the head shield I don't know how to specifically answer this question other than to say it's a basic full face/shield that can be bought at any hardware store. It seems to work fine, it's the same one I used at community college so the instructor would've given it the ok. In my practice I haven't had any issues but yeah once I flip the shaded eye protection down I can't see a thing till the welding starts. 

Thanks for the tip on the electric tools! I just bought a new grinder and I do suspect the ground I'm working with is shoddy.

I've taken a few pics of my first practice beads. They're not 'biting' so to speak but just splattering. I'm practicing with 16 gauge which apparently doesn't require shielding gas so I don't think that's the issue but I dunno. 

EDIT: Okay so here's my first practice run from the other day:

37697173655_0d62f779e0_z.jpg

When I was practicing I started on the top first and went down from there, after allowing a bit of time for cooling. The first 'bead' at the top wasn't a practice but more so a test to make sure everything was functional and that I wasn't going to get electrocuted or who knows what. From there I adjusted voltage. I adjusted wire speed a bit but not too much (I'm going to do that today as well as rig a better ground). The last bead on the bottom I turned the voltage all the way up which didn't seem to make much a difference. I suspect the issue is grounding or wire speed but again I dunno. 

Mig welding, your mask is ok but you'd find a react-to-light adjustable shade easier to use, unless you're using resincore wire you need gas it doesn't matter what gauge without shielding you'll get oxidisation if you were using gas yes it would be wire speed, amps and your speed, if you got these results using gas i'd say up your amps, a weld pool should develope straight away notice you have not penetrated the steel, i'd practice on some thicker sheet where you can turn the amps up without fear of burning holes, you have more time than you think, do some spot welding where you just form a round bead you'll see what i mean by penetration, another thing of note is the gas makes your weld hotter.