Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hidden chamber found in Great Pyramid

The Caspian Hare

(CAIRO) — Scientists have found a hidden chamber in Egypt’s Great Pyramid of Giza, the first such discovery in the structure since the 19th century and one likely to spark a new surge of interest in the pharaohs.

In an article published in the journal Nature on Thursday, an international team said the 30-meter (yard) void deep within the pyramid is situated above the structure’s Grand Gallery, and has a similar cross-section. The purpose of the chamber is unclear, and it’s not yet known whether it was built with a function in mind.

The scientists made the discovery using cosmic-ray imaging, recording the behavior of subatomic particles called muons that penetrate the rock similar to X-rays, only much deeper. Their paper was peer-reviewed before appearing in Nature, an international, interdisciplinary journal of science.

http://time.com/5007093/egypt-great-pyramid-of-giza-hidden-chamber/

• Like 5

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/great-pyramid-giza-void-discovered-khufu-archaeology-science/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_tw20171102news-pyramidvoid&utm_campaign=Content&sf136377441=1

my mouth is literally watering at the prospect of what could possibly be inside this void/chamber

could the final resting place of the Pharaoh finally have been discovered!

• Like 2

This newly discovered void above the Grand Gallery could have been intended to relieve pressure on it, from above. This was the apparent purpose of the spaces constructed directly above the King's Chamber. The Egyptians of this period did not use true arches in construction, so would have had to rely on cruder schemes. A corbeled arch was used in a part of the great pyramid, but this is weaker than a true arch. Rectangular gaps seem to have been the preferred method, in some instances.    The article, linked below, alludes to this possible explanation: 

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41845445

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

My late father was there during WW2, curtesy of the US Army Air Corps at the time. He did manage to see the Sphinx and go to the Great Pyramind. I recall him saying once that even back then  archeologists believed there was a hidden chamber or chambers with the pryamid. Be intersting if there is anything in it at all, or whether like Bison says it was something to help relieving structual pressures.

This space is not for the likes of men. Or women, come to that.

What Our Past Basset Masters have sealed off must stay sealed off. (Once some dude intruded in a lesser pyramid and released Sutekh the Destroyer, who almost destroyed 1980. Wouldn't've been a great loss, but still...)

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 5

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/cosmic-rays-reveal-unknown-void-great-pyramid-giza

Just found this from Science.com. Maybe they ran out of bricks. Sorry, couldn't resist. 

It is kind of exciting when new things are discovered, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high that this will be some sort of a spectacular find.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Just imagine if there's really something there. Like a whole chamber full of items from back then. All intact. Papyrus, murals etc. It would be the greatest discovery of the century

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jarjarbinks said:

Just imagine if there's really something there. Like a whole chamber full of items from back then. All intact. Papyrus, murals etc. It would be the greatest discovery of the century

Ohh good lord yes. 

Hell, it might be Pharoah, in situ. An undiscovered, unmolsted tomb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, susieice said:

...Maybe they ran out of bricks. Sorry, couldn't resist. 

I like that. That's the most plausible explanation. :lol:

...I don't want to get my hopes up too high that this will be some sort of a spectacular find.

Exactly how I feel, but I'm a pessimist by nature. However, I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I like that. That's the most plausible explanation. :lol:

Complete misdirection by kmt_sesh.  It is his hidden attic, complete with old news scrolls, school papers from the priest's academy, his military kilt from the Hyksos campaign (still fits), his old band uniform and bagpipes, and the dog-headed (but really looks like a bull frog) ceramic canopic jar he made in second year for his mummy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Complete misdirection by kmt_sesh.  It is his hidden attic, complete with old news scrolls, school papers from the priest's academy, his military kilt from the Hyksos campaign (still fits), his old band uniform and bagpipes, and the dog-headed (but really looks like a bull frog) ceramic canopic jar he made in second year for his mummy.

LOL I am flattered that you think my kilt still fits. It's a little crusty with dried Hyksos blood but I do like to wear it while doing housework.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

LOL I am flattered that you think my kilt still fits.

You are nothing if not well preserved.  Cheers.  You know a mixture of camel urine and shittim wood ash will take that blood right out.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Apparently whoever brought up Wee Kmt did so properly. I wonder what foul magicks the cats did to him to change him.

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Apparently whoever brought up Wee Kmt did so properly. I wonder what foul magicks the cats did to him to change him.

--Jaylemurph 

Your failed heresy is noted, our Felis Majestus merely corrected him, they nearly corrected him to death but a little unlife is good for the soul.

Curious, indeed. So, the stones above are the floor of another chamber.         a495809fc7.jpg                                                            

• Like 1

My guess is also a relieving chamber. It would be super interesting if there was items left in there though. Or even if there is graffiti like in the King's Chamber relieving chambers.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

My guess is also a relieving chamber. It would be super interesting if there was items left in there though. Or even if there is graffiti like in the King's Chamber relieving chambers.

The royal dunny you mean?

• Like 9

It might be the slaves resting quarters. Full of mummies and nothing else. Or it might contain his army. There again it might be the empty fuel tank and around it is the engine. Knowing Trumps luck it'll probably have made in China inside. Seriously talking I still go for the internal ramp idea. Mind you if you cut a Pyramid in half horizontally the top half is a Pyramid and this could be the real one. Below is the half containing the fake bits to confuse grave robbers

"...The king then directed the astrologers to ascertain by taking the altitude whether the stars foretold any great catastrophe, and the result announced an approaching deluge. 9 The king ordered them to inquire whether or not this calamity would befal Egypt; and they answered, yes, the flood will overwhelm the land, and destroy a large portion of it for some years.

...upon which the king ordered the Pyramids to be built, and the predictions of the priests to be Inscribed upon columns, and upon the large stones belonging to them; and he placed within them his treasures, and all his valuable property, together with the bodies of his ancestors. - Al Masoudi (emphasis mine)

If there is any truth to this Arabic legend (based upon Coptic tradition) then it seems that the Great Pyramid would, by necessity, have been designed with (relatively) accessible chambers (for storage of seeds, tools, documents etc for the recovery of the kingdom after the foretold deluge) but also with an inaccessible chamber (burial vault) for the "bodies of his [Saurid's] ancestors". 

Perhaps there is more truth to this Coptic legend than meets the eye.

SC