Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Physics, the Bible and the parting of the Red Sea

UM-Bot

Science and religion could end up complementing each other. New – more "radical" – trends in physics point to the existence of parallel universes and other dimensions which could assist in explaining many Biblical mysteries and miracles, at least according to one Protestant minister who has spent a half century pondering the reality of UFOs and extraterrestrials and their possible connection to the seemingly bizarre and unexplainable tales of the Old and New Testaments.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/column.php?id=312997

• The title was changed to Physics, the Bible and the parting of the Red Sea

Any Israeli archaeologist or Rabbinical scholar will tell you the Exodus never happened, Moses was mythical and the Jews developed in situ in the hills of Canaan. So no Red Sea incident.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

They haven't found evidence of an exodus is more correct.

I have a crappy hypothesis that the Exodus story came from Egyptians that were followers of Akhenaten's monotheistic new religion and they had to flee Egypt because the religion and its originator were being erased from Egyptian culture.

That's more feasible than crappy.

• Like 2

The lack of evidence comes from many different places you'd expect to find some trace of the event:

1. Loss of military might by Egypt - not seen
  2. Egyptian loss of economic strength due to loss of a large number slaves - not seen
  3. Existence of a large group of people living in the Sinai - not found
  4. Evidence of the siege of cities when they arrived in the promised land. What is seen is evidence of internal strife.

There seems to be no part of the story that happened.

• Like 6

On 11/2/2017 at 2:11 PM, Piney said:

That's more feasible than crappy.

It wasn't a pogrom, but rather an easing back into the old ways.  Many who had been in power during Akhenaten's time were still in power after his death (Tutankamun, for one... whose original name was TutankATEN before he changed it.)  His sisters (daughters of Akhenaten also survived as royalty - it wasn't until the time of Horemheb (after Tut's death) that the hardcore erasure began.

So there was no group of Egyptians hotfooting it out of Egypt ahead of the lynch mob.  In any case, the Hebrews hated the Egyptians and they're hardly likely to tell a story about the Egyptians surviving a dreadful fate and coming to Israel under a patriarch who will become father of the Hebrew nation.

• Like 3

Seems to me if you're looking for evidence of a Semite exodus from Egypt, you would look for it in the era where it is historical fact that there were Semites exiting Egypt and not much later when there was no such evidence.

• Like 2

I think it's interesting how creation of the universe stories in so many of the world's religions do sound at least slightly similar to our modern scientific version of events.    If you read them you might get some of the same impressions?

Even the yin yang symbol with it's light side and Dark side ....sort of seen and unseen ....sort of positive/ negative......sort of creative/ destructive.... Sounds a bit familiar in scientific theories of the structure of the universe?

there is something to be said for intuitive knowledge?   Or maybe no one else sees anything in what I'm saying? Hehe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, seanjo said:

When such things happen there is always a level of persecution. But that aside, if you are an ardent believer in something and the place you live is rejecting you and your belief then uprooting yourself to find a place you can follow your beliefs in peace is not unusual.

Atenism didn't have that many followers - in fact, there's not much evidence of adherence to Atenism (whatever that might have been) outside the royal family.  Although Akhenaten set up "goon squads" within Armana and seemed to have some sort of check on whether people were worshiping the Aten, the religion didn't have that much of a hold.  There's amulets of other deities  found in Armana - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten#Religious_policies.

Atenism was a one prophet religion.  The only one who could speak to The Aten was Akhenaten (or his immediate family) so all requests, prayers, etc, were directed to Akhenaten.  Akhenaten decided what would be in the new religion - and whatever knowledge came was not distributed outside Armana as far as we can tell.

It was around for 15 years or less.  Afterward, there was no general purge of anyone involved in the religion.  It sort of faded quietly within ten years of Akhenaten's death.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:13 PM, stereologist said:

The lack of evidence comes from many different places you'd expect to find some trace of the event:

1. Loss of military might by Egypt - not seen
  2. Egyptian loss of economic strength due to loss of a large number slaves - not seen
  3. Existence of a large group of people living in the Sinai - not found
  4. Evidence of the siege of cities when they arrived in the promised land. What is seen is evidence of internal strife.

There seems to be no part of the story that happened.

There is a 45 minute movie on Youtube called "The search for the real Mt. Sinai." This short film is able to show all the major landmarks found written in the book Exodus concerning their 40 years in the desert.

Edited by Ogbin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ogbin said:

There is a 45 minute movie on Youtube called "The search for the real Mt. Sinai." This short film is able to show all the major landmarks found written in the book Exodus concerning their 40 years in the desert.

These guys follow in the footsteps of Ron Wyatt. They simply point and make unfounded claims. They have no support for their stories. They just do like Wyatt and make things up.

https://www.challies.com/music-movies/dvd-review-the-search-for-the-real-mt-sinai/

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/06/Is-Mount-Sinai-in-Saudi-Arabia.aspx#Article

The biggest problem with the identification of Mt. Sinai at Jebel el-Lawz is that it does not meet the Biblical criteria for the site. These claims are based on three false assumptions and a misunderstanding of the archaeological remains that they observed.

The quote above is from a biblical site.

Just because 2 guys take an adventure and follow in the footsteps of Wyatt does not mean anything when it comes to archaeological evidence for the issues I listed. It just means 2 amateurs took a trip and now there is a video.

• Like 2

Have you noticed that there isn't a concerted effort to dispute any other world religion other than Christianity and to a lesser extent, Judaism?  A reasonable person might wonder why that is the case.  The biblical scripture (OT) predicts that Israel (Jacob's descendants) would be dispersed to "all the nations", then, would return to their land near the final days of the last human government on the planet.  That started being fulfilled on 5/14/1948.  There are several other predictions about specific nations coming against Israel in those last days and being miraculously defeated.  One such battle has a confederation of peoples from Turkey, Iran, the southern steppes of Russia and possibly Russia itself, being decimated on the "mountains of Israel" by earthquakes, hailstones, and fire from the sky that leads to a general fratricide among the combatants.  Has there yet been a time when Russia, Turkey, and Iran were all allied against a single enemy?  They seem to be aligning themselves today.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, lightly said:

I think it's interesting how creation of the universe stories in so many of the world's religions do sound at least slightly similar to our modern scientific version of events.    If you read them you might get some of the same impressions?

Slightly similar as in not at all? I don't find twisting creation myths so they sound scientific very interesting at all. Rather the opposite, it's deception.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, and then said:

Have you noticed that there isn't a concerted effort to dispute any other world religion other than Christianity and to a lesser extent, Judaism?

What are these other main world religions in Western Society? Islam? That gets dispute quite a bit.

But by all means continue to fake ignorance as it helps your narrative.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

What are these other main world religions in Western Society? Islam? That gets dispute quite a bit.

But by all means continue to fake ignorance as it helps your narrative.

Seriously?  You think that Islam is under attack?  Most people are too afraid of the crazies in that religion to do any such thing, but as you said, fake ignorance, it helps YOUR narrative.  Being one of the chief God-haters on UM sort of mitigates any credibility you have in the discussion.  :tu:

10 minutes ago, and then said:

Seriously?  You think that Islam is under attack?  Most people are too afraid of the crazies in that religion to do any such thing, but as you said, fake ignorance, it helps YOUR narrative.  Being one of the chief God-haters on UM sort of mitigates any credibility you have in the discussion.  :tu:

Wow. You are really trying to give this playing ignorant all you've got. So you haven't heard the criticism of Islam from atheists? I mean that is who you were speaking of about disputing Christianity right?

Don't worry, no one questions your credibility despite having an invisible friend.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 10:10 AM, seanjo said:

They haven't found evidence of an exodus is more correct.

I have a crappy hypothesis that the Exodus story came from Egyptians that were followers of Akhenaten's monotheistic new religion and they had to flee Egypt because the religion and its originator were being erased from Egyptian culture.

They would have already found evidence if there was any exodus. 

• Like 3

I don't understand why people are trying to apply physics to fictional events. 

What's the point? Just for fun?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Wow. You are really trying to give this playing ignorant all you've got. So you haven't heard the criticism of Islam from atheists? I mean that is who you were speaking of about disputing Christianity right?

Don't worry, no one questions your credibility despite having an invisible friend.

I believe I used the qualifier that MOST people refuse to go after Islam.  Of course, I didn't say that absolutely everyone gives Islam a pass.  A true Atheist would be anti-God across the board, yeah?  You never tire of the snarky, juvenile comments about people of faith, do you?  And no, it isn't just Atheists that are working to silence Christians in the public square.  I'm curious about something and maybe you can enlighten me.  You've been consistently anti-religious faith in your comments here so you'd be a good source.  Do you feel a day should come when people of faith should be completely silenced?  As in, close churches and pass legislation to stop the spread of Christian belief?  I'm not asking you if you think it will happen or if it's possible.  Would YOU feel it was a good thing?

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

How about we all get back on topic

Very timely  - you saved me from myself.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:23 AM, and then said:

Have you noticed that there isn't a concerted effort to dispute any other world religion other than Christianity and to a lesser extent, Judaism?  A reasonable person might wonder why that is the case.

I think that has much more to do with Christians themselves than anything else. They are the largest and certainly the loudest of the religious groups in America and the majority of the nation is in the progress of healing from their indoctrination in one fashion or another.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, and then said:

I believe I used the qualifier that MOST people refuse to go after Islam.  Of course, I didn't say that absolutely everyone gives Islam a pass.  A true Atheist would be anti-God across the board, yeah?  You never tire of the snarky, juvenile comments about people of faith, do you?  And no, it isn't just Atheists that are working to silence Christians in the public square.  I'm curious about something and maybe you can enlighten me.  You've been consistently anti-religious faith in your comments here so you'd be a good source.  Do you feel a day should come when people of faith should be completely silenced?  As in, close churches and pass legislation to stop the spread of Christian belief?  I'm not asking you if you think it will happen or if it's possible.  Would YOU feel it was a good thing?

Actually your original comment implied no groups disputed Islam; "Have you noticed that there isn't a concerted effort to dispute any other world religion other than Christianity and to a lesser extent, Judaism?"

It would be obvious why Christianity is the main target in the western world.

Who is silencing you in public? I mean you could say every stupid thing you can possibly think of as long as it's not threating or disturbing the peace.
You've confused criticism with silencing.

• Like 3

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I think that has much more to do with Christians themselves than anything else. They are the largest and certainly the loudest of the religious groups in America and the majority of the nation is in the progress of healing from their indoctrination in one fashion or another.  

Indoctrination sounds like a kind of forceful teaching and demand that a doctrine be followed.  I keep hearing about such churches but I've never seen or heard of one and I've lived in the deepest part of the heart of the Bible belt.  Can you give an example of what you're talking about?  As in, more than a single instance?

27 minutes ago, and then said:

Indoctrination sounds like a kind of forceful teaching and demand that a doctrine be followed.  I keep hearing about such churches but I've never seen or heard of one and I've lived in the deepest part of the heart of the Bible belt.  Can you give an example of what you're talking about?  As in, more than a single instance?

Well I can give all kinds of anecdotes from my personal life which spanned 30 some years of religious duty from small 100 member churches to mega 10k member churches.

Forced to attend church, forced to attend church camps , forced to attend protests at abortion clinics while in elementary school, hell as a young kid at one point the pastor of a church we were attending decided parents should burn all their kids Star Wars paraphernalia because "the force" was too much like magic. Oh and forget about Halloween - trick or treating is for the devil ...hell fast forward 30 years and upon finding out I had MS my mother - after praying with her church group - told me I was sick because I had unrepented sin and had allowed a demon to enter me. And don't get me going on their reaction to me using medicinal marijuana. 

But really the indoctrination comes from the simple things like daily reminders that non Christians are evil,  that ONLY Christians are good, that you're evil for having normal HEALTHY thoughts, that you aren't good enough so you better grovel to a higher power to make you better. That everyone is the enemy 

Don't get me wrong, I tried for years into my adulthood to live the Christian life so much of it is on me. It took an especially obnoxious Christmas eve special at one of the local (mega) churches to push me over the edge. They actually did a song calling gay people fools (literally used that term as if the bible doesn't explicitly say DONT DO THAT) and spent the vast majority of the time waxing on about the non existent "War on christmas'" and in a nice Christmas eve childrens style sing song explained to all the kids why saying happy holidays meant you were evil and trying to undermine god. It was then that I knew the church was not a healthy environment for my children. I actually snapped a little there, on my way out the door I passed the greeters and said HAPPY HOLIDAYS at the top of my voice, a minor little act of rebellion to be sure but the look on those folks face was priceless. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 6

What you seem to be saying is that you've judged all Christian churches based on personal anecdotal evidence.  Would you be confident in making such a broad judgment about a scientific postulation?  I'm just giving you something to chew on.  If I had experienced what you have, I might well have soured on the idea of faith as well.  The worst I've experienced was the plain, garden-variety hypocrite.  I just didn't use that to form the opinion that all or even most of the rest of church-goers were equally hypocritical.  Anyone that is older than 30 should easily be able to remember that saying "Merry Christmas"  was totally acceptable.  Even Jews and Muslims that were greeted in such a way at that season of the year they made no fuss about it because they realized that it was a symbol of goodwill, not prejudice.   Rlyeh makes the statement that Christian belief isn't under pressure/attack today and all I can do is gape.  At this particular moment, it isn't yet illegal to say Merry Christmas but if some Atheist groups had their way - based on all the litigation we've seen, it WOULD be.  If he wants to be legalistic about it that's cool.  I wonder if he'd stand and defend the right to freedom of worship if a Congress or USSC justice decided to rule/ legislate that mentioning Christmas or even naming Christ in public, was illegal?  How about you?  Would that be cause for you to stand and speak up on behalf of Christians?  I ask this because I truly believe that I will see such things within my remaining lifetime.