Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking: 'AI will eventually replace humans'

UM-Bot

Old news.  That's been said many times before.

• Like 2

I'd say that is entirely possible. I imagine a very "Dune", or "Terminator", like scenario. Where the computers become advanced enough that they decide that taking the humans out of the equation would greatly reduce the chaos and vastly increase efficiency.

We already make games that are as smart as we are, so we can pit ourselves against them. So, it is not too hard to imagine an AI that goes too far, and does something that would wipe out humans, but do nothing to machines. Like maybe create a tailor made virus, that would directly kill humans, or that would wipe out our food sources, or might turn us into frantic, bloodthirsty, anger-turbo-zombies. 

There was a X-Files episode where a computer in an RV took off and started doing all kinds of naughty things. This has been a suspicion for decades.

Hope they take all the jobs. Then we can live on ubi. But to the extent of totally taking over i dont think it will happen..

Edited by Ernest

Biological entities pivot on self-preservation to determine outcome, or simply flight/fight followed by feed/breed. AI thus far has largely pivoted on problem-solving for outcome. Will be interesting to see the consequences when the AI algorithm is broadened to include more biological representation or, as we see more AI that is self-programmed through observation. Begs the question, is self-awareness defined by the simple act of self-preservation?

The real Stephen Hawking has been gone a long time, replaced with a similar. 

I invite you to the internet.

Edited by TripGun

On 11/4/2017 at 7:26 AM, Black Monk said:

It's already replaced Stephen Hawking.

Would we know the difference?

• Like 1

I remember awhile back when Hawking's also said that the first encounter with extra-terrestrials will most likely be AI. It seems to me that we should be thinking twice about the road we are traveling down when it comes to AI. It makes no sense to me that our scientists, knowing the eventual outcome of where robotics and AI are going, are still going to continue on to see if it's possible for a computer to become self aware, that is, sentient. And if this does happen, I would wager that we wouldn't know about it until it's to late. I really don't see AI wanting to inform us of this happening. After all, it most likely will understand that we would either try to contain it, or destroy it if need be so it doesn't become an out of control force. I believe that AI will see us as inferior beings and eventually try to exterminate us. If we had any common sense at all, we would not travel down this road. And if there's anything that the human race has taught me it is this, very little people these days actually posses common sense.

Edited by Ogbin

9 hours ago, Ogbin said:

I remember awhile back when Hawking's also said that the first encounter with extra-terrestrials will most likely be AI. It seems to me that we should be thinking twice about the road we are traveling down when it comes to AI. It makes no sense to me that our scientists, knowing the eventual outcome of where robotics and AI are going, are still going to continue on to see if it's possible for a computer to become self aware, that is, sentient. And if this does happen, I would wager that we wouldn't know about it until it's to late. I really don't see AI wanting to inform us of this happening. After all, it most likely will understand that we would either try to contain it, or destroy it if need be so it doesn't become an out of control force. I believe that AI will see us as inferior beings and eventually try to exterminate us. If we had any common sense at all, we would not travel down this road. And if there's anything that the human race has taught me it is this, very little people these days actually posses common sense.

I've wondered if the "image of the beast" that has breath and speaks, might be a robotic/AI combo.

1 hour ago, and then said:

I've wondered if the "image of the beast" that has breath and speaks, might be a robotic/AI combo.

Robots breath? 

10 hours ago, and then said:

As I was pondering your thought here, I remembered what John the Baptist said to the Pharisees in Matthew 3:9. He said, "And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." One way that Satan deceives people is by imitating God, hence the label given to him by some, "the great imitator. "I haven't studied the "image of the beast" in much detail, and I can't prove it by this one verse of scripture, but I think that the "image of the beast" is most likely going to be a stone statue.