Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the white lady

mark66

6 minutes ago, mark66 said:

astra i really dont know if i have a link  

No worries, I assume you might mean this story. A folklore tale about a ghost.

History tells that a young bride was murdered on her wedding day by her newly wed husband. Her ghost now wanders the Island in dispair and sadness..

http://detroitunderground.blogspot.com.au/2009/02/white-ghost-of-belle-isle.html

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, mark66 said:

im new to this computer thing

Well, I'd like to help, but I have to run. There is however, a 'Help and Support' thread at the bottom of the forum page, if you are having some difficulties understanding how UM works. 

• Like 3

This sounds RAY SUS  to me... :w00t:

12 hours ago, mark66 said:

no thats not  the whole story

There is more...

A Native American legend about this: http://ghoststoriesandhauntedplaces.blogspot.com/2010/02/snake-goddess-of-belle-isle.html

Another article with the same legend, and includes an interesting add on about there being a lot of deaths and suicides there: http://michigansotherside.com/ghosts-of-detroits-belle-isle/

Historically, yes, there has been a lot of suicides: https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/the-fatal-attraction-of-the-detroit-river-and-the-macarthur-bridge/Content?oid=2318609

Part of the urban legend aspect with the white lady deals with the bridges in specific. Parking on certain bridges and honking your horn is purported to make the white lady appear. In various accounts, sometimes she is the young bride as in the link Astra provided, sometimes the Native American version, and sometimes and old woman in white as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mark66 said:

i know every thing about the white lady 

THis oughta be a good one ...

~

tenor.gif

~

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly every location has a White Lady/Woman in White. For instance, in my culture we have La Llarona. In fact, she’s such a popular urban legend that she can easily be found in pop culture - i.e., shows like Grimm. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 9:08 PM, The Ghastly Grimoire said:

Nearly every location has a White Lady/Woman in White. For instance, in my culture we have La Llarona. In fact, she’s such a popular urban legend that she can easily be found in pop culture - i.e., shows like Grimm. 

TO RASHORE THE INDIAN SNAKE GODESS OF BELLE ISLE IS NOT THE SAME LEGEND AS THE WHITE LADY GOOGLE DOESNT KNOW EVERYTHING AND THE WHITE LADY LEGEND DOESNT DEAL WITH BRIDGES IT DEALS WITH ONE BRIDGE AND ITS NOT SOMETIMES THE NATIVE AMERICAN WOMAN AND ITS NEVER EVER AND OLD WOMAN

I glad I'm a bloke and not a bride/lady in white they don't seem to have much luck do they

Mark66..if you know "everything" about this "white lady" of yours then why not enlighten us?

Since you know how to join and post here then I can only assume you are not "new" to this computer "thing" as you put it so I'd like it if,  of telling us that we are wrong, maybe you can at least tell us what culture this "white lady" is from so we can actually have a discussion.

P.S: PLEASE DO NOT TYPE IN CAPS...that signifies yelling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 11:28 AM, Ryu said:

Mark66..if you know "everything" about this "white lady" of yours then why not enlighten us?

Since you know how to join and post here then I can only assume you are not "new" to this computer "thing" as you put it so I'd like it if,  of telling us that we are wrong, maybe you can at least tell us what culture this "white lady" is from so we can actually have a discussion.

P.S: PLEASE DO NOT TYPE IN CAPS...that signifies yelling.

I think he DOESN'T know what he's talking about, which is why he's failed to do so. I could educate him on la llarona, which fits his description exactly but something tells me he'd deny it.

18 minutes ago, The Ghastly Grimoire said:

I think he DOESN'T know what he's talking about, which is why he's failed to do so. I could educate him on la llarona, which fits his description exactly but something tells me he'd deny it.

Awwww, he might have an idea what he's talking about... but he for sure isn't sharing his information with us- seems to be more interested in yelling at us what he thinks it isn't or that lore offered on the area is incorrect. Interesting behavior for a member that's been here 9 years.

I've only mapped/tracked a few states in the midwest great lakes region as far as ghost legends go. Mostly white ladies rather than la llarona classification. I think that's more of a regional dialects giving the names than real differences between the story of the haunt themselves. Similar lines of traditional lore of love lost/tragic and lost children/broken family types of scenarios behind the haunt. Sometimes I'm surprised when the story does not yield a white lady- when the story behind the lady ghost matches up great with the traditional lore, but somehow she manages to be a regular ghost instead of a white lady.

Of course, there's other white ladies in the spooky lore too, but those are other critters and traditions and not really what this Belle Isle legend(s?) topic is about.

• Like 1