Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Political purge in Saudi Arabia; many arrests

The Caspian Hare

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia arrested 10 princes and dozens of former government ministers on Saturday (Nov 4), reports said, in a major purge immediately after an anti-corruption commission was established.

Separately, the powerful heads of the Saudi National Guard, an elite internal security force, and the navy were replaced in a series of high-profile sackings that sent shock waves in the kingdom.

The developments follow a political crackdown in September as Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, set to be the first millennial to occupy the Saudi throne, cements his grip on power.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/saudi-princes-arrested-as-crown-prince-leads-anti-corruption-9376386

• Like 4

Lots went on in Saudi Arabia today. 

• Like 3

Why did it take this long to establish an anti-corruption commission?   Sinister oppression?  This feels like a major cleansing.  Let's hope it paves the way for a better, lasting political interaction. 

Now, if we can only get UK here to clean up its acts i.e. not selling arms to repressive regimes, sales of which have recently soared!   780422031.gif

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/2120431/whats-behind-crown-princes-crackdown-saudi-arabia-and-where-will

It may be years before the full outcome is known. It is possible both groups are right – it was a power grab, but it was also necessary. Either way, there is no doubt that the familiar Saudi Arabia that represented a reliable strategic and economic partner for the United States and other Western powers has been unalterably changed. The old patterns, in which kings ruled by consensus within the royal family and parcelled out positions of power to all its branches, and in which Saudi Arabia’s preferred instruments of foreign policy were diplomacy and cash, rather than confrontation, have been cast aside.

“Call it shock and awe. Call it a purge. Call it a clean sweep. However it’s characterised, the mass arrest of some of Saudi Arabia’s most prominent royals, administrators, and tycoons [in early November] has completely upended both the structure of the Saudi elite and the country’s way of doing business,” the Washington-based analyst Hussein Ibish wrote.

Another prominent Arab commentator, Rami G Khouri, decried what he called a “dangerous phenomenon”. He said “the wealthiest and strongest Arab state, Saudi Arabia, has decided to adopt the most destructive and failed governance model of one-man rule for life that has brought most of the Arab region into the early decades of the 21st century as a tattered, fraying wreck.” The Saudis, he said, are adopting a state model that failed in Egypt, Iraq, Syria and other Arab countries.

Having a 32-year-old with no prior government experience... what could go wrong?  

If I recall, was the new Crown prince calling for a new Islamic theology to replace Wahhabism, because they distance themselves from ISIS (the Islamic State) in Syria? and some members of the Saudi parliament funded ISIS? The two are adversaries, since the Saudis are a key ally to the USA in Middle East affairs.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 4:47 PM, and then said:

Having a 32-year-old with no prior government experience... what could go wrong?  

Having a 71-year-old with no prior government experience... what could go wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odas said:

Having a 71-year-old with no prior government experience... what could go wrong?

Touche'.  Time will tell, I suppose.  I get the distinct feeling that this young man will take a much firmer stand against the mullahs than anyone else has had the will to do, so far.  He seems to be making moves toward an understanding with Netanyahu and that may make for some interesting times ahead for Hizballah and the IRGC in Syria. ;) 

Didn't this new guy make it legal for women to go in stadiums and to drive now as well?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, and then said:

Touche'.  Time will tell, I suppose.  I get the distinct feeling that this young man will take a much firmer stand against the mullahs than anyone else has had the will to do, so far.  He seems to be making moves toward an understanding with Netanyahu and that may make for some interesting times ahead for Hizballah and the IRGC in Syria. ;) 

Looks like he is improving relations with neighbours including Israel - netanjay is unimportant because we need peace beyond him.

However, do not forget that the true opstical for peace are not Iran and Hezbolah but the wahabbies in SA.

The princ is aware of it as it looks like and that is why he is cleaning his backyard first. And so should Israel within it's zionists.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, odas said:

Looks like he is improving relations with neighbours including Israel - netanjay is unimportant because we need peace beyond him.

However, do not forget that the true opstical for peace are not Iran and Hezbolah but the wahabbies in SA.

The princ is aware of it as it looks like and that is why he is cleaning his backyard first. And so should Israel within it's zionists.

I'm not sure how a peace of any kind can be concluded and be lasting so long as Iran's puppets in the region are allowed to continue with their designs to end Israel.  It's just the opposite, in fact.  Hizballah and the IRGC, left unchallenged, will bring regional war with Israel.  It's just a matter of time.  If Putin positions himself in alliance with Iran in this situation, the war could well become global.  The most dangerous opponent of all is one with nowhere else to retreat to and nothing left to lose.  It baffles me that Israel's enemies don't understand or care about this reality.  The myth that Israel can be divided into Zionist and non-Zionists is an unrealistic view of the current reality.  Israel is built upon the concept of Zionism.  Only the hard-Left, globalist segment of Israelis could be considered "non-Zionist".  If they have their way, the state will cease to exist.  That will never happen without a nuclear war.

I watched this corbettreport.com analysis of the purge. Very interesting worth viewing if you have about an hour of time.

1 hour ago, and then said:

I'm not sure how a peace of any kind can be concluded and be lasting so long as Iran's puppets in the region are allowed to continue with their designs to end Israel.  It's just the opposite, in fact.  Hizballah and the IRGC, left unchallenged, will bring regional war with Israel.  It's just a matter of time.  If Putin positions himself in alliance with Iran in this situation, the war could well become global.  The most dangerous opponent of all is one with nowhere else to retreat to and nothing left to lose.  It baffles me that Israel's enemies don't understand or care about this reality.  The myth that Israel can be divided into Zionist and non-Zionists is an unrealistic view of the current reality.  Israel is built upon the concept of Zionism.  Only the hard-Left, globalist segment of Israelis could be considered "non-Zionist".  If they have their way, the state will cease to exist.  That will never happen without a nuclear war.

AT, if you have one enemy that is one too many. And if you have two or more...

SA and Israel have to clean up their act first. That includes the wahabbies, the radicals, on one side and the radicals, the zionists, one the other. Then a solution needs to be prepaired for Palestine. Include all the arab nations.

After that, jointly, they, we, can look into eliminating the threath of Hizbolah.

As fot the Russian plans....well I called it years and years ago but I was called stupid. Turns out...not.

Keep Russia out of America, middle east and europe, do not bend over for terrorists and right or left hardliners and we will see things acomplished and improved. 

Having enemies only means that your interests are in conflict with the interests of others.  That does not equate with fault or guilt except in accordance with the perspectives of others.  Any Jew, living in Palestine under a Jewish government will always have existential enemies.  The only requirement to understand this is to listen to what their Arab neighbors openly say, daily.  As to hardliners, they drive the agenda in all countries today.  We've been away from the state of total war for too long, I guess.  People seem to need to be reminded every couple of generations.  After the next great war, that pattern will probably stop for a few hundred years while the global population is rebuilt...IF we survive as a species.

• Like 1

Budget for next year is getting larger and larger by every hour. As is security of Crown Prince's future as the King.

Win-win situation for MBS. Actually it was very brave move likes of which we haven't see since the times empires and kingdoms in early history of civilizations till the middle ages.

UN, as institution and defender of values adopted by numerous countries must be really proud to have SA propose human right concerns, accusations and resolutions in the UN. Gadaffi was so right, UN needs to be reformed. Guess Trump made his conclusions on Gadaffi's talk in UN.