Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stranger Things on Netflix

rashore

I didn't see a topic about this show already, and wondered if anyone else has watched it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/

I watched last season and binge watched this season already. I rather like the show. It is well written, and captures the 80's horror/paranormal genre feel in a way that a lot of other modern filming misses the mark on. There is more GC in the second season than the first. But it's kind of refreshing that they work it to be an effective element to "realistically" mimic physical special effects, instead of using it as the replacement for plot and good show content.

• Like 5

havent binge watched the second season yet, but i will.

Brought back thoughts of The Wonder Years mixed with e.t. and Stephen King. Really entertaining.

• Like 3

I binge watched it the day after it came out.

It was awesome, and I cannot wait until the next season...

Spoiler

though I am a bit irritated as to how they pushed all of the love triangles down our throats this season. Bob, Hopper, Joyce (Will's mom); Dusty, Lucas, new chick Max; Jonathan, Steve, Nancy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Brought back thoughts of The Wonder Years mixed with e.t. and Stephen King. Really entertaining.

OOpppss. Suppose I should have put some sort of thing about not giving spoilers in my OP. I didn't even think about that.

Please folks, for the sake of folks that haven't watched season 2 yet, which was just released... try not to spoiler it for other folks.

But the mash up.. yep. On another site I have some buddies mashing up all the elements to describe it. Goonies, Nightmare on Elm Street, ET, Poltergeist,  and a few SK's works being mentioned in the "flavor" of what Stranger Things captures.

• Like 2

I felt like they included a bit more than just the 80's horror movie genre this time. Definite touches of Moonlighting in a few episodes.

Everything actually seemed to take on a later 80's vibe, with references to the Gremlins, Punky Brewster and Moonlighting. The Music was a lot more Motley Crue than the innocent soundtrack of season one, and the under current stories of troubled youth and coming of age are also cool little throwbacks and salutes to the 80's.

Oh and I love the little lines they throw in occasionally like, "Stay Frosty, Kids".

• Like 3

Yeah, love it. It's absolutely oozing with nostalgia. 

I' posting so I can see this in the future lol. 

I loved season one haven't watched season two yet 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

I felt like they included a bit more than just the 80'same horror movie genre this time. Definite touches of Moonlighting in a few episodes.

Everything actually seemed to take on a later 80's vibe, with references to the Gremlins, Punky Brewster answer Moonlighting. The Music was a lot more Motley Crue than the innocent soundtrack of season one, and the under current stories of troubled youth and coming of age are also cool little throwbacks and salutes to the 80'students.  

Oh and I love the little lines they throw in occasionally like, "Stay Frosty Kids".

Ohhh, Moonlighting. Yeah, I can see that too. Not so much the Punky Brewster thing?

I like the moving on with the throwbacks and salutes.. Season one was pretty serious in the moment, and I'm glad in season two they show some growing up and advancement with characters.

And season two commentary in the below:

Spoiler

Referring to NW's spoiler about love triangles. Bob/Hopper/Joyce isn't a love triangle IMO. Though eep, Bob :)  D/L/M- kids are growing up, and with new season needs some new characters and development- at the same time another relationship has matured too from the first season. J/S/N- well hell, after the first season, stuff had to keep happening second season, not like that crap was resolved really first season. Now that Kismit mentioned Moonlighting, I can see a lot of that flavor being captured in the love/not dialogs with these triangles.

1 minute ago, rashore said:

Ohhh, Moonlighting. Yeah, I can see that too. Not so much the Punky Brewster thing?

I like the moving on with the throwbacks and salutes.. Season one was pretty serious in the moment, and I'm glad in season two they show some growing up and advancement with characters.

And season two commentary in the below:

Reveal hidden contents

Referring to NW's spoiler about love triangles. Bob/Hopper/Joyce isn't a love triangle IMO. Though eep, Bob :)  D/L/M- kids are growing up, and with new season needs some new characters and development- at the same time another relationship has matured too from the first season. J/S/N- well hell, after the first season, stuff had to keep happening second season, not like that crap was resolved really first season. Now that Kismit mentioned Moonlighting, I can see a lot of that flavor being captured in the love/not dialogs with these triangles.

They did the Punky Brewster jump with Jane, but they needed more edge than cute for plot reasons, however the Duffer brothers did put a little TV show link in to remind the viewers that punks can be cute and soft too.

They are incredibly clever. We need a time limit for spoilers, loads of scenes I loved.. Hopper in Dig Dug, with the shovel over his shoulder walking across the pumpkin patch. Can't quite pick the80's movie  reference but every time I see it it's like dejarvu

• Like 1

If you have finished season 2, I would recommend watching "Beyond Stranger Things" also on Netflix. It's interviews with the cast and makers of the show, it's pretty good.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rashore said:

I didn't see a topic about this show already, and wondered if anyone else has watched it?

I watched last season and binge watched this season already. I rather like the show. It is well written, and captures the 80's horror/paranormal genre feel in a way that a lot of other modern filming misses the mark on. There is more GC in the second season than the first. But it's kind of refreshing that they work it to be an effective element to "realistically" mimic physical special effects, instead of using it as the replacement for plot and good show content.

I really enjoyed the second season. I do wish they dropped the CG all together and used only physical effects. I've always thought the old effects were way creepier.

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

Can't quite pick the80's movie  reference but every time I see it it's like dejarvu

Good catch, I think that was from pumpkinhead a cheesy horror flick but I might be remembering wrong. 

Most awesome series, over too fast. Is season 3 ready yet???

7 hours ago, rashore said:

Binge watched 2nd season twice.  

2 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I.Love.This.Show.

Same.

It's like time-travelling back to the Eighties.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wes4747 said:

Yes...I picked up a lot of E.T nods while watching.

And Bob, laughing about pirate treasure? Gold. hahaha Loved it.

• Like 1

I had only watched season 1 within a week of season 2 starting, it was almost a continuation for me. I watched 3 episodes a night for both. Afterwards I started to watch 'Beyond Stranger Things' but have only seen 2 episodes of that so far.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to finish the last 2 episodes until today and all I have to say is...

Spoiler

wtf...they killed Sam...er Bob.

• Like 4

To skirt around spoilers.. Bob.. the joy of Bob. Seriously. :wub::ph34r:

But perhaps it is time for open discussion.. Netflix has had season one and two open and viewing for a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Bob.. the joy of Bob. Seriously. :wub::ph34r:

^ this :wub: 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm another one who binged on it. Really enjoyed the first season and the second one kinda lived up to the hype too.

Myself and Mrs Stiff watched them back to back. (Luckily, I was the one facing the TV :D)