Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
brizink

Is Paganism the hidden truth of the Bible?

5 posts in this topic

So in my lifetime of studying the scriptures, I've come to the understanding that Paganism, albeit "forbidden" in the old and new testaments, is the end game for the living faith. So we all know about the pagan roots of Christianity but far fewer people realize the pagan roots of Judaism. It really boggles the mind because the Old Testament is wrought with Pagan ideas and concepts. The Old Testament aversion to paganism isn't so much an aversion to paganism as much as it is an aversion to polytheism, not to he the two confused. You can be a monotheist AND a pagan, IF you don't believe in the variants of the God of Avrahim, Yitzak and Yaakov. Technically Allah is a variant of this God in the modern and popular understanding although Allah indeed is Pagan moon God who in the Bible is also known as Ba'al. El, the God that called upon Abraham (Avrahim) was the Cannanite Sun God, who was venerated (like the Mayans and Aztecs) with burnt offerings (the "mayaztec" burnt the hearts of their sacrifices over hot coals) and a sweet savour that would lift into the sky toward the Sun. This God became the principle God of Abraham and his respective tribe after (according to the scripture) the Lord (El) "stayed his hand" on the altar, thus narrowly avoiding sacrificing his own son on the altar. This practice was so easily accepted because there is an abundance of literary evidence that the ancient inhabitants of the Levant were periodically apt to sacrifice their own fellow men women and even on occasion their young. In such a context, the story of Abraham being so willing to murder his own child becomes a bit more believable and corroborates the more controversial accounts in other histories, besides the others that exist in the Bible and other Jewish extra-biblical accounts from antiquity. The cultures near and surrounding the Levant -who held a constant social and religious impact- also practiced similar blood sacrifices at multiple points in time before and after the biblical period. All the proverbial "Paganism painted on the walls" is undeniable but in a world where clearly there IS  a divine prescence, what is the point of all this when it seems so extraordinarily contradictory. From every angle, Pagan and non-Pagan alike, there are apparent clashes of epic and historical proportions. But, I propose there is rather a confluence that points to a more real and existent truth. That truth I propose is that there IS a divinity in the universe and at one point in time there was indeed a "family" that represents the first few generations that interacted with this divinity and in the time passed there have been religions and mythologies built around this basic truth of the universe. Our ancestors are these people, these "God's" that were so close to the divinity that they themselves, through their trials and heroism, fate and philosophies, we are the true bearers of a divine heritage and that is something that very few religions could claim to deny. From the frozen North to the also very cold south, nearly all cultures practice some form of Ancestor Worship, and that's (in a nutshell) what Paganism is, whether you elevate some of those ancestors to Divinity or you simply venerate them for who they were and their meaning in your life (photos of Grandma on your mantle?). Given this confluence, which is best hidden in regards to the Abrahamic Faiths, yet still exists, we can make the "leap of faith" and realize the true PAGAN Unitarian truth of the world. You may disagree, and you're more than welcome to do so, but this is how I see things. It's a grand vision and it's up to you to lift the veil and draw your own conclusions. The point is, that the truth of the Divine Prescence of the Universe is bigger than that of Zoroaster's, Abraham's, Krisna's, Jesus', or any other's personal truth that sprang up into a powerhouse religion on Earth and including many smaller less recognized religions. Thanks for reading! 

"If there is no God, then there is no plan, and if there is no plan... Well... I don't like doing much of anything without a plan" 

-Anonymous 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What, exactly, do you mean by "paganism"?  You mentioned "ancestor worship" put there's a lot of difference between the anamistic shamanism of the nomadic tribes and the religion of the Greeks and Romans (at the time the first version of the Pentateuch was written for the Library of Alexandria (Ptolemy I called in a bunch of rabbis and had them write down their lore.)  Some were highly structured (Chinese), some had no real family structure or primary deity (Native Americans, for one), some did not have sacrifices (Egyptian), etc, etc.  For the Romans, the lares (ancestors) were not as important as the gods themselves... but for the Egyptians, the dead could return as helpers and protectors of the land (somewhat similar to angels.)  All of these religions that I mention are older than the Bible.

...and so on and so forth.  

These divinities aren't very consistent in their character... and they changed over time.

So I don't see how there's a single thing that sparked the idea of a deity of the universe... perhaps you have additional thoughts on this?

Edited by Kenemet
1 person likes this

Paganism is the blanket term for any non-judeo-christian religions, it is not a separate religion itself.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Kenemet said:

some had no real family structure or primary deity (Native Americans, for one),

Maniituu  or "The Master of life" is not personified. It's more like the "Force" in Star Wars

This is all very vague. Like others have said, Paganism just means "not christian." Of course Christianity came from Paganism, since it didn't just come out of nowhere. Christianity itself has changed throughout the millenia, and will continue to do so until it is something wholly unlike its current incarnation.