Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Uber to launch flying taxi service by 2020

UM-Bot

Note that the story is actually about "a traffic signal system", whatever that might mean, "for flying cars", (traffic lights suspended from balloons?), not that Über themselves* , which is essentially just a minicab firm isn't it really, are developing a flying car. Classic piece of misleading self-promotion by these Silicon Valley Tech Giants.

* I insist on the umlaut 

• Like 5

" Mornin' folks ... ready to take a ride with Crazy Flap Jack ? Howabout a couple of vertical donuts to settle the nerves eh ? "

~

• Like 2

You won't be able to just land on the sidewalk. Presumably you will have to land on designated space either tall building, or open field. I think it will happen but remain limited.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taun said:

This has "Bad Idea" written all over it...

No doubt. I personally believe it might be viable way in the future, but 2020 is pushing it. First fatal crash will result in litigation that will not make this economical.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taun said:

This has "Bad Idea" written all over it...

This is definitely A Bullwinkle J. Moose idea.  Wyle E. Coyote later known a Wylie Coyote as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _KB_ said:

Wow... the only problem is that i'm too cheap for a normal taxi so there's no way in hell i'm paying for a ride on a flying one

I see it now.  There's an accident one air expressway 1.  OOPS make that now on Route 95.

• Like 1

Every revolution begins with scruples, scorn and failures. Then follows the hype settling down and when the real thing pops up later again, this time sturdy and working great, everyone says it's cool. It's masses thinking. Every cool technology went through that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaldon said:

Every revolution begins with scruples, scorn and failures. Then follows the hype settling down and when the real thing pops up later again, this time sturdy and working great, everyone says it's cool. It's masses thinking. Every cool technology went through that.

I agree, but it took the Osprey years of fatal crashes before the bugs got worked out. So for this taxi to be operational by 2020 just doesn't seem doable to me, however technology has increased, so we'll see.

• Like 1

It always seemed to me that the trickiest part about flying cars would be keeping them from running into one another over major metropolitan areas and raining fiery debris down on us peasants.

• Like 2