Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Amelia Earhart eaten by giant crabs ?

UM-Bot

My co-worker and I were joking yesterday about camping around coconut crabs after watching a vid of them slaughtering a booby.  Looks like the joke might be true. :blink:

• Like 2

I thought i've heard it all when it comes to this type of stuff- swamp gas, mass hallucination, the Russians did it... but never in my life i have heard the explanation:

Wasn't it reported earlier this year that Amelia's gravesite was possibly found?  Was it a bust like all the others?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Wasn't it reported earlier this year that Amelia's gravesite was possibly found?  Was it a bust like all the others?

No it was supposed to be her whole body I think....

• Like 1

Just the thought of this makes me, uh, crabby.

I'm smelling an excuse here. The group looking at an island suggests they lived for several days. They suggest there is evidence. They can't show anything so they explain why there is no evidence. Typical bizarre baloney.

It's not as unlikely as some of you seem to think. The rather important fact that the article fails to mention, is that the island of Nikumaroro has a large population of coconut crabs. These monsters are scavengers, but just a few days ago there was a video of them hunting a bird and tearing it apart... So I also really hope that they were dead before these things potentially ate them!

I used to live on the island of Saipan and had some buddies that were part of a Carolinian tribe that lived part time on Pagan in the Northern Islands of the chain. Wild out there, lots of feral animals (cows, pigs and goats mostly). Also still plenty of coconut crabs. 

Voracious things, and immensely strong... if one grabs you, the only way to get it to release is to tickle their belly... and once they have a hold of you, giving them a tickle is the last thing on your mind. You can pull the claw out of it’s socket and it will remain in the clenched position... and good luck trying to force it open then. I’ve seen one put it’s claw all the way through the 1” rubber sole of a sandal made from a truck tire.

Oh, and by the way, they’re very tasty... I like them best stewed with coconut milk, garlic, onions and hot peppers... over white rice.

Edited by Alaric
  • Like 1

It's actually an old theory, not sure why it's suddenly became so pronounced again in the media because AFIK, no physical evidence.

I look at these key words in the story and pretty much ignore everything else because this sentence is the relevance:

While no sign of their remains has been found so far, some researchers have suggested that

So I read that as some guy is suggesting something to me....yeah I don't play that nonsense.

Edited by NightScreams

On 11/14/2017 at 4:16 PM, The Narcisse said:

No it was supposed to be her whole body I think....

Well they fell short of expectation because no news of that after they said they have found it....

• 2 weeks later...