Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian Same Sex Marriage Vote Wins

psyche101

I am pleased to report the the Aussie Same Sex Marriage Vote resulted in a resounding YES.

Link - How Australia Voted on Same Sex Marriage.

AUSTRALIA has voted Yes to same-sex marriage with 61.6 per cent per cent in favour and 38.4 per cent voting No.

There were 7,817,247 votes for Yes and 4,873,987 for No. A further 36,686 votes, or 0.2 per cent, were unclear, the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealed this morning.

Every state and territory recorded a majority Yes result over 60 per cent, with the exception of New South Wales, where just 57.8 per cent voted Yes.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Welcome to 2017 Australia! :tu:

Yeah, it's about time. It's good to see that attitudes are changing. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 7

:tu:

Very much approve of the result, but not happy about the process, ie the $122 million and the scaremongering and divisiveness it caused...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Welcome to 2017 Australia! :tu:

ABOUT FRIGGING TIME LOL.. hey you. . Your very clever. . Shine my friend..you have what it takes.. believe me I believe in YOU......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

Yeah, it's about time. It's good to see that attitudes are changing. 

Actually Australian attitudes were keeping pace. Your government, not so much.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Actually Australian attitudes were keeping pace. Your government, not so much.

Pretty much exactly my view, the older population having too much of an impact on something which will not affect them. I’m glad it’s a majority yes, but will be satisfied when the laws are passed.

• Like 2

There's way too many uptight and narrow minded old fogey's in politics these days. I can barely stand any of them.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

There's way too many uptight and narrow minded old fogey's in politics these days. I can barely stand any of them.  

Here in Canada the leaders of our three main political parties are:

PM Justin Trudeau, Liberal, age 45.

Andre Scheer, Conservative, age 38.

Jagmeet Singh, New Democrat, age 38.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-young-leaders-1.4316943

Holy crap, am I old!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MauriOra said:

ABOUT FRIGGING TIME LOL.. hey you. . Your very clever. . Shine my friend..you have what it takes.. believe me I believe in YOU......

My friend, you have deep doubts 2wards you.. you ask when how why ??? I'll tell you the answer" S's ssh it's a secret..... hahaha.. The answer 2ur? ?? Is NOW... so GO GO... AND DO DO.. Arohanuikiakoe friend ... SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MauriOra said:

My friend, you have deep doubts 2wards you.. you ask when how why ??? I'll tell you the answer" S's ssh it's a secret..... hahaha.. The answer 2ur? ?? Is NOW... so GO GO... AND DO DO.. Arohanuikiakoe friend ... SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND....

Klahowya Tillicum. :D

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Here in Canada the leaders of our three main political parties are:

PM Justin Trudeau, Liberal, age 45.

Andre Scheer, Conservative, age 38.

Jagmeet Singh, New Democrat, age 38.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-young-leaders-1.4316943

Yep, I think younger people in politics can be a great and positive benefit, as they are more open to embracing fresh and new ideas. Take Jacinda Ardern NZ's new PM. She's only 37, and I think she'll be good for their country. 

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Holy crap, am I old!

:lol: nope, you're only as old as you feel.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Klahowya Tillicum. :D

You will BE KEI TE PAI 4 UR SURGERY. . Think it and it shall BE SEW..unthink it it will BE likewith. .. I SEE A BRIGHT FUTURE 4U AND SEW YOU WILL. ..M/O ☆☆☆

Arohanui my Friends L/G. . Be strong of spirit and fill of faith.. All will be will and you WILL BE WELL....M/O☆☆☆...KAKITE XXX 

• Like 1

So basically only 56.3% of the total population thinks everyone deserves to be treated equally (60% votes yes out of 80% of the population who replied). This isnt a victory, it’s a bag of p*** being passed off as sunshine.

Furthermore, the Canberra ****s are allowed a conscience vote. Nothing is going to change. Turnbull will slap himself and his cronies on the back, and the parliament vote will disappear down the tubs of Canberra red tape. We can’t have a vote until we have a full house of pollies again, so things will wait unti February. We’ll have an election triggered by the citizenship crisis before then, so, obviously nothing can be voted on. Then, well this was an act of the previous parliament, so we’ll need time to re-evaluate the viability of the vote etc etc etc. 

Equality isn’t a political football, it’s basic bloody human rights. This is a farce, from start to finish, a farce that has allowed people to be used to score cheap political points. A farce that says someone’s rights are a matter of someone else’s opinion.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

A farce that says someone’s rights are a matter of someone else’s opinion.

An interesting take on it. Food for thought

• Like 1

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I am pleased to report the the Aussie Same Sex Marriage Vote resulted in a resounding YES.

Link - How Australia Voted on Same Sex Marriage.

AUSTRALIA has voted Yes to same-sex marriage with 61.6 per cent per cent in favour and 38.4 per cent voting No.

There were 7,817,247 votes for Yes and 4,873,987 for No. A further 36,686 votes, or 0.2 per cent, were unclear, the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealed this morning.

Every state and territory recorded a majority Yes result over 60 per cent, with the exception of New South Wales, where just 57.8 per cent voted Yes.

Busy day here in Australia...more than 60% of Australians voted in favour of going to the World Cup, and we won the plebiscite 3-1...or something...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So basically only 56.3% of the total population thinks everyone deserves to be treated equally (60% votes yes out of 80% of the population who replied). This isnt a victory, it’s a bag of p*** being passed off as sunshine.

Furthermore, the Canberra ****s are allowed a conscience vote. Nothing is going to change. Turnbull will slap himself and his cronies on the back, and the parliament vote will disappear down the tubs of Canberra red tape. We can’t have a vote until we have a full house of pollies again, so things will wait unti February. We’ll have an election triggered by the citizenship crisis before then, so, obviously nothing can be voted on. Then, well this was an act of the previous parliament, so we’ll need time to re-evaluate the viability of the vote etc etc etc. 

Equality isn’t a political football, it’s basic bloody human rights. This is a farce, from start to finish, a farce that has allowed people to be used to score cheap political points. A farce that says someone’s rights are a matter of someone else’s opinion.

Settle down, your Lordship.

For one thing, can you leave Canberra out of it, please. (And in fact, look at the percentages - which state or territory had the highest Yes vote? Yep, the ACT. You're welcome.)

For another, Parliament can vote on it straight away, and in fact the bill is already being debated. There's no need to wait for the disqualified politicians to be replaced - they can vote with whoever's there. I think it's pretty likely the Christmas deadline will be met.

And finally, whatever your thoughts about the plebiscite, the affected people I've spoken to today are really happy, and that's a nice thing (until I made a comment about mothers-in-law, at which point the guy I was talking to went all thoughtful...).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

L/Ord ship stands 4  EL Order.. When you bow you make an L SHAPE.. man/woman.. and Sship. .... EWE...The body(3) where you are ruled buy the six...

Edited by MauriOra

6 hours ago, Peter B said:

For one thing, can you leave Canberra out of it, please. (And in fact, look at the percentages - which state or territory had the highest Yes vote? Yep, the ACT. You're welcome.)

For another, Parliament can vote on it straight away, and in fact the bill is already being debated. There's no need to wait for the disqualified politicians to be replaced - they can vote with whoever's there. I think it's pretty likely the Christmas deadline will be met.

And finally, whatever your thoughts about the plebiscite, the affected people I've spoken to today are really happy, and that's a nice thing (until I made a comment about mothers-in-law, at which point the guy I was talking to went all thoughtful...).

I can’t leave Canberra out of it, because irrespective of how the people who live there voted, Canberra is where the people who will vote on whether or not people deserve equality work. People who are already going on record as saying they intend to vote “based on their conscience” and “will vote based on discussions with my electorate”. So **** all has changed after a three month “let’s say nasty things about the LGBTIQ community” survey. After a three month “let’s discuss whether or not people deserve to be treated equally, and remember all opinions are valid, and if you say they aren’t, you’re a nasty hater” campaign. 

Three months and literally nothing has changed. We already knew the majority of us were for SSM. We already knew that the sceptically minded bigots existed. We just gave them a platform to air their bile and told anyone who was offended by what they had to say to shut up because “democracy”. 

We are still where we were four months ago. Waiting on the pollies to do their jobs, and now we have a legion of excuses for them to not do their jobs, have spent millions of dollars and outright told LGBTIQ youths that they matter less than whatever the majority feels because their rights have now been given to them by the rest of us. 

Love hasn’t won, virtue signaling has won. If love had won, ****ing years ago the politicians would have gone “ohh ****, you’re right, we’re not a nation treating people equally. We better fix that” and spent the all of ten minutes it would have taken to have a vote in parliament and then the thirty second it would have taken to ratify it in the senate. 

19 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

But the people opposed think they actually have an argument. Someone at work yesterday muttered what's to stop brother marrying brother now?

I piped up and said

The same laws that stop brother and sister marrying. The ignorance of the subject is,astounding.

Most states were up about 80% NSW was one state that dragged the vote backwards and I suspect it has a lot to do with the region's diverse cultural outlook, a lot of religions insist on staying stagnant. Muslim in particular, where such statistics rise so does ignorance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Love hasn’t won, virtue signaling has won. If love had won, ****ing years ago the politicians would have gone “ohh ****, you’re right, we’re not a nation treating people equally. We better fix that” and spent the all of ten minutes it would have taken to have a vote in parliament and then the thirty second it would have taken to ratify it in the senate. 

I don't give two boots for love. Love is a crock. Basic rights are more the issue I feel. We have always had such conflicts, good to see as a country we could scape a little more of that sort of thinking of our collective shoe.