Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fallon Insults Australia

ChrLzs

This is unbelievably insulting..... :)

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/jimmy-fallon-just-insulted-jimmy-barnes-kirin-j-callinans-iconic-aussie-banger/

Summary - Jimmy Fallon presents his "Do Not Play" list and briefly plays then dismisses an (admittedly very odd) song that contains some lengthy screams..  (screams that will be instantly recognisable by Australian readers...)

Look, perhaps we can cut Fallon some slack, as:

1. Kirin J Callinan is indeed an 'acquired taste', but has done some intriguing songs and cool videos like this:

Seriously, you should check that video out (if only for the puppydog at the end) - weird yet sorta wonderful.  I'm still not sure if he's a genius or just downright crazy....

2. I don't think he was aware that the screamer was BARNESY... yes BARNESY!!!!!  For those who are completely musically uneducated, Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel) is a legend in Oz, and produced screaming masterpieces like this:

How could you, Mr Fallon?

BTW, Kirin, and Barnesy have both replied, altho in Barnes' case, rather briefly:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/kirin-j-callinan-responds-jimmy-fallon-disses-track-jimmy-barnes/

• Like 5

Fallon was just kneading his bread and churning his butter ... and choked on a pretzel ...

~

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

First, I was like :unsure:

Then, I was more like :huh:

Now, I'm more like :blink:

:D:D

If you watch other Kirin J Callinan works, that progression will likely continue..

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with Kirin Callinan's music ChrLzs. But you are right as far as him being a 'required taste'. Clever video just the same...

Anyway, as far as Jimmy Barnes goes..well.. he should have stopped screaming after Working Class Man. Seriously, some singers should just retire and never be heard of again. :tu:

• Like 2

Is there any actual reason I should give a **** about this.  I never heard of the singer and I don't find any music to be an acquired taste.  Either, I either like or I don't.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, aztek said:

i agree with fallon, song sounded super lame, 

Agree, after watching it again (without the ear plugs this time) the song, let alone the video made no sense to me at all.The over-the-top screaming by Jimmy Barnes was simply ridiculous. No wonder he had to hold on to his hat... in case his head exploded.   

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 4

Dunno bit of a pot kettle thing there. Sure the music is an acquired taste but I reckon Fallon is too. Watched his show a few times, thought it was intensely stupid and figured it only stays on air because he pays the big names to talk to him. Forgot he existed till I saw this thread. I find him boring and a real try hard. He's just am idiot expressing an opinion, and most of the music acts he had on the few episodes I saw sucked beyond belief. Seems hypocritical to me. He promotes awful music if they play on his show.

Never seen him promote a band with an iconic song like Khe Sahn. I reckon Barnsey is a great deal better than most of the awful garbage he forces onto his viewers. Had they played the song live on his show he would probably be sucking up to Barnsey.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Nah, even if we took that Fallon dude out of the picture psyche...and I heard that particular song on the radio, or saw the video clip on a music channel...I'd still switch it off. Sure, Barnsey may have been ok in his hey-day....but you know, there does come a time. But that's fine, we cant all like the same music / singers. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Astra. said:

Nah, even if we took that Fallon dude out of the picture psyche...and I heard that particular song on the radio, or saw the video clip on a music channel...I'd still switch it off. Sure, Barnsey may have been ok in his hey-day....but you know, there does come a time. But that's fine, we cant all like the same music / singers

I dunno Astra

While I listened to it I kept picturing a comedy western, I can almost imagine Owen Wilson and or Jim Carey appearing in that clip, sure not to my taste but neither is Billy Ray Cyrus. I would expect some do like it just like Billy Ray has a following. Whereas Fallon just strikes me as a Letterman rip off with a huge budget. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 11:50 PM, psyche101 said:

Dunno bit of a pot kettle thing there. Sure the music is an acquired taste but I reckon Fallon is too.

At 11:30pm the late night talk shows start here. There's about 4 of them and they all, and I mean all, go on about Trump for about 10 min. If you can get past the blah blah blah wha wha wha boo hoo, they sometimes have good musical guest, but that's a crap shoot lol The best one for musical guest is that British guy, James Corden. Check this out, it's hilarious

• Like 1

On 26/11/2017 at 3:28 AM, Stardrive said:

At 11:30pm the late night talk shows start here. There's about 4 of them and they all, and I mean all, go on about Trump for about 10 min. If you can get past the blah blah blah wha wha wha boo hoo, they sometimes have good musical guest, but that's a crap shoot lol The best one for musical guest is that British guy, James Corden. Check this out, it's hilarious

Could not agree more, :tu: I quite like Corden, he is not only a good host but in fact a pretty good singer. Love his car pool karaoke. His skit with Ed Sheeran was just fantastic I thought 

• Like 1

The carpool interview with Rod Stewart was funny. Ol Rod had that thousand mile stare a couple of times lol. But yeah, Cordon can sing. He did a sing off with Queen's new singer Adam Lambert and he was really belting it out. But in the end, Adam showed him why he got the job.

• 1 month later...

Jimmy Barnes just reminded me of John Melloncamp. It sounded alright but no need to worry about any dismissive comments. Love what you love.