Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alien hunters send message to nearby system

UM-Bot

Great, now we'll be known as that planet filled with crazies all over the neighboring galaxies ...

~

• Like 7

I dont think this is a very good idea chances are they will kill us all dont think you should do it i want to live my life :ph34r: gotta keep an eye out for them now

• Like 1

This is rippling out from the SETI community into the science community and the public.and causing a lot of heated discussion.  If you want to do some background reading check out the Fermi Paradox.

The story goes that at lunch one day with a bunch of other physicists at Los Alamos Enrico Fermi said, "Where are they?"  He was referring tho the fact that if life is so prevalent in the universe, why haven't we seen any indication.  There are a lot of answers that have been worked out to the Fermi paradox, it makes interesting reading.  Most of the bases have been covered from: " there is nobody there", "they are not interested in us", to "there is something out there that gets transmitting civilizations and everybody lives in fearful quiet"  Fred Saberhagen's science fiction books about the killer machines roaming the galaxy, "beserkers" is based on that idea.

On the transmission side you have folks saying that we have been listening for sixty years and have heard nothing.  Maybe we need to start the conversation. They say that the chances are small that there could be any negative consequence, and that maybe something good will come of it in a few decades.

On the non-transmission side you have a whole group of opinions:  

We should be quiet because something bad might happen.  

We are looking for stable civilizations that are capable of sending out a signal for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years and we are not there yet.  Any signal we send might be treated by other civilizations like SETI treats the so called WOW signals.  "Oh WOW what was that?  Well it didn't repeat, guess it was nothing."

There is a certain outrage too.  What gives a person or group the right to make that kind of decision unilaterally for humanity without consulting the rest of us?  That is a telling argument for me.  We can't manage our planet as "humanity"  we are divided into multiple competing groups.  If we can't come together as a planet to deal with planetary issues, we are not ready to be sending messages, much less receiving a reply.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

We can't manage our planet as "humanity"  we are divided into multiple competing groups.  If we can't come together as a planet to deal with planetary issues, we are not ready to be sending messages, much less receiving a reply.

[ E X A C T L Y ]

:yes:

~

• Like 3

Sending or not sending a radio message to nearby stars seems to be a moot point. We've been doing so inadvertently for decades. Our radio, television, and especially radar signals could make us very conspicuous to a nearby civilization in space, even slightly more advanced than ourselves.  If such a civilization meant us harm, we'd probably know it by now.

Are we unready for contact with our extraterrestrial neighbors? Who's to say, really? Is a baby ready to be born, from its own point of view? probably not. Never-the-less, there comes a time for it to be born into a larger world.

Such contact might provide the jolt we need to clean up our act. Consider the example of a stable, peaceful civilization that has surmounted the sort of problems we face. This could make us want to prove to ourselves that we could do this well, too.      

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another example of scientists placing their own projects over humanity. This is like saying, "hey, anyone who is capable of traveling to earth, come and take it from us!" I recently watched the movie, 'The Fifth Wave'. It was a chilling example of what an alien race might do. People expect them to come zooming in with lasers, but odds are, they will first plant some forward observers (probably hybrids from all the genetic testing they've done), then they'll use a bio-weapon. Those who survive the initial germ, will be attacked with a different germ How many people would really be immune to several types of malicious bacteria? The Fifth Wave needed to stop at one bio weapon. Otherwise, no Fifth Wave 2. And you can see by the first movie they are setting it up for at least a trilogy. But a smart alien is going to use multiple germs to eradicate humans.

No, this publicizing out existence is a terrible idea.

1 hour ago, jbondo said:

No, this publicizing out existence is a terrible idea.

Not necessarily. I mean, what if we managed to contact a civilization that had technology much more advanced than our own and they were helpful? What if they have somehow trumped the FTL travel problem? They could potentially help mankind so much.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:39 PM, Nuclear Wessel said:

Not necessarily. I mean, what if we managed to contact a civilization that had technology much more advanced than our own and they were helpful? What if they have somehow trumped the FTL travel problem? They could potentially help mankind so much.

What if.....Logic and good sense would tell us that the risk is far too great to roll the dice and hope they wouldn't just stomp us like ants, or turn us into slaves. Weighing the risk/reward, I'm inclined to think, I'd rather develop at a pace our civilization can handle. We've already proven that given a platform like social media, we treat each other like absolute garbage. In fact, technology is probably far too fast for the average person. It's like taking a 5 yr old to Toys R Us.

4 minutes ago, jbondo said:

What if.....Logic and good sense would tell us that the risk is far too great

How is the risk far too great, exactly? I'm somewhat curious as to what you mean, because we don't even know if life exists elsewhere in the universe (beyond Earth, of course) period. We don't know if they will be hostile, nor do we know that they would be interested in helping us.

hope they wouldn't just stomp us like ants, or turn us into slaves.

Why would they stomp us like ants, or "turn us into slaves"? Quite frankly, this stance that you have on the matter is fascinating.

Weighing the risk/reward, I'm inclined to think, I'd rather develop at a pace our civilization can handle.

I'm certain that if technologies were introduced to us and reverse-engineered, civilization would adjust to the advancements accordingly.

We've already proven that given a platform like social media, we treat each other like absolute garbage.

I don't think that social media has anything to do with treating each other like garbage.

In fact, technology is probably far too fast for the average person. It's like taking a 5 yr old to Toys R Us.

I don't think so. Frankly, I don't think it's advancing fast enough. I want to see a sentient AI already!