Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World s first head transplant has been done

seeder

World's first human head transplant is successfully carried out on a corpse in China and an operation on a live human will take place 'imminently'

The announcement was made by Italian Professor Sergio Canavero
    It was carried out on a corpse in China in an 18-hour operation
    Showed it was possible to reconnect the spine, nerves and blood vessels
    A full head swap between brain dead organ donors is the next stage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5092769/World-s-human-head-transplant-carried-out.html#ixzz4yhE6WkYc

• Like 5

hmmmm ... something tells me this ain't gonna end well ...

~

• Like 6

This reminds me of something I've thought about frequently. Say, for instance we have the means to replicate the brain activity faithfully as a one to one basis on another organically viable brain (whatever the reasons being is not the crux of the matter here so safely ignored regardless of the sentiment) , whatever the methods, machines locked onto the head transmitting and eliciting the same responses on another brain.

A period of induced coma registering the basic brain activity and a period of training via a controlled regiment to gather responses unique to the individuality,

Would that constitute a 'cloned' mind ?

And if the original source were to be demised, would the 'copy' now be the new original source ?

Who dies and what continues to live on ?

~

• Like 1

t was  tried over 50 years ago, and proven it can be done, soviet surgeon did that in 50s, with dogs, and iirc italian surgeon, swapped heads of monkeys, it would be huge success  if he could reconnect spinal cord, but he did reconnect blood vessels and nerves, the monkey survived.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Piney said:

"Donor" as in a donation from the nearest prison....

Ha!   But no, many people die and leave their body to scientific research or carry donor cards

IF it ever works tho, well, its literally becoming immortal for a while...when your body is old/sick... just go get another one!

• Like 1

Just now, seeder said:

Ha!   But no, many people die and leave their body to scientific research or carry donor cards

IF it ever works tho, well, its literally becoming immortal for a while...when your body is old/sick... just go get another one!

yea, but the procedure needs healthy young body, not someone old and frail,  those young healthy bodies are abundant in prisons. thou i see it as great potential for abuse and intentional criminal activity by prison cartel, to supply donors.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

"I feel like I'm trapped in the wrong body."

*Snip, cut, plop*

*The sound of surgical equipment running at high speed*

"There you go, a new body."

• Like 2

I heard about this some place, where they had a guy with a wasting disease that they were going to try this on in Europe.   

25 minutes ago, seeder said:

Gotta remember this is China, you don't want to end up in prison there.  You'll be missing some parts, if you manage to get out alive. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/asia/china-organ-harvesting/index.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I heard about this some place, where they had a guy with a wasting disease that they were going to try this on in Europe.  

Yep I even posted about that story some time ago on these forums, back then it was all speculation...but it was in the pipeline.... I imagine the reason its being first trialled in China is that it may cause outrage in the moral west....unless it really can work.... then perhaps it will be readily accepted....theres thousands of disabled people stuck in bodies that dont work

The religious groups will be frothing at the mouths I expect

• Like 1

from the OP

Professor Canavero added that the team's next step is to perform a full head swap between brain dead organ donors.

Dr James Fildes, NHS principal research scientist at the University Hospital of South Manchester's Transplant Centre, said: 'Unless Canavero or Ren provide real evidence that they can perform a head, or more appropriately, a whole body transplant on a large animal that recovers sufficient function to improve quality of life, this entire project is morally wrong

so the first live run will be on brain dead patients.... so in some respect neither the donor or recipient will know anything about it, and note my second bold about it being morally wrong,.....as I hinted in previous post

• Like 1

If as a society, we accept heart, lung, liver transplants, as we do....and in recent years we have seen full face transplants....which I think is bloody freaky as you wake up with someone elses face

then why not head transplants?

Oh and this was in recent news too

Woman meets man who has her dead husband's face after transplant

Recipient Andy Sandness tells widow: 'I wanted to show you that your gift will not be wasted'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/face-transplant-woman-dead-husband-face-clinic-minnesota-wyoming-lilly-ross-andy-sandness-a8049666.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

hmmmm ... something tells me this ain't gonna end well ...

~

Oh you just have to keep you chin up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

...theres thousands of disabled people stuck in bodies that dont work

Yup, I know a few from my local MS support groups. 

• Like 1

soon people are gonna start becoming part robot and take over the world. heck i bet nazis if they still exist are working on it. humanity i see reaching its final legs closer than ever

Edited by skrubby

I guess the way to gauge this, at least in this thread....is to ask yourselves...if YOU.... went from a healthy active body and lifestyle....to being paralysed or having some other disabling condition.... whereby you had no quality of life...

well....the question needs asking, would you have your head transplanted to another body? If you knew it worked of course....and that youd be free from pain, disease, paralysis etc..

whether you say no or yes, pls explain your thinking process

• Like 1

for what its worth, be inspired by this limbless mans story!!!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Well ... frankly and to be honest, no ... things gets kinda weird when everything underneath the chin comes from, technically speaking, someone else ...

I'm not entirely convinced about the 'no pain' part of the speculations nor is assuaged by the overly optimistic conclusions currently being proposed ...

Besides, there is that concern about how far off the common ground one cares to take this if successful, what limitations will there or even if effective Legislation should there be ?

Makes no sense if anyone old can stand in front of the mirror one day and goes "think I'll go get me a nice new body ... " Just to make light of the insanity if nothing else ...

~

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, seeder said:

well....the question needs asking, would you have your head transplanted to another body? If you knew it worked of course....and that youd be free from pain, disease, paralysis etc..

I'd have to say yes.

Like you said earlier, we have all sorts of transplants now and it's taken for granted. Each and every one would have been weird at the time and caused outrage with some group or another. It's progression. Nothing more. We're in the 21st Century now, not the mid 19th and things like this will become commonplace.

2 hours ago, seeder said:

This is actually a very good point and got me thinking. Obviously our eyes, hearing and brain do deteriorate to some extent but it's usually the body and it's organs that cause us the main problems first. Those with real money could well fork out for younger bodies and life time-scales would no doubt rise for the fortunate ones.

(I'm talking decades here though and probably not in my life time)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I would rather have a cybernetic body than have my head/brain transplanted onto another persons body. 

who wouldnt want to shoot laser beams and bullets out of their hands im a killer robot beep bop boop pew pew pew

but this is good for gay and lesbian people a guy can become a woman and a woman can become a guy wala their no longer insulted by bums

12 minutes ago, skrubby said:

but this is good for gay and lesbian people a guy can become a woman and a woman can become a guy wala their no longer insulted by bums

Homosexuality isn't the same as transgender.

• Like 3

Just now, Rlyeh said:

Homosexuality isn't the same as transgender.

i was just saying its a possibility .-. but id rather shoot laser beams