Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany still has not formed a government

The Caspian Hare

http://www.france24.com/en/20171117-germany-coalition-talks-resume-may-take-several-days-angela-merkel

Germany’s would-be coalition partners resumed talks on Friday after all-night negotiations failed to see a breakthrough, with Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservatives saying they would compromise further on climate change policies to secure a deal.

The conservatives, the pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) and the Greens remained divided on climate policy and immigration, but agreed to continue past their self-imposed deadline into the weekend.

“I go into these negotiations with the intention, despite all the difficulties, of carrying out the task voters gave us of forming a coalition,” Merkel said as she arrived for the next round. “It will be tough, but it’s worth going into round two.”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Russian Hare said:

Politics and business trumps climate change policy? Now that has a familiar ring to it.

• Like 2

This comes as no surprise to me. When Merkel opened the floodgates to immigration into Schengen without consulting first it was always going to lead to a weakened position at the the next GE. This happened with many of her supporters moving to other parties and led to a massive vote of rejection for her and her pocies. Afd went from 0 representation in the Bundestag, to 92 seats. I think Merkel is a spent force and whilst she may well retain the role of Chancellor this time, I think it will be the last gasp of power for her.

How this plays out at EU level is going to be interesting. Will a new Bundestag still de facto, run the show? Will the  Coudenhove-Kalergi plan now disintegrate?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, keithisco said:

Afd went from 0 representation in the Bundestag, to 92 seats.

92 out of 709.

Will the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan now disintegrate?

You should inform yourself first what "Coudenhove-Kalergi plan" means and what kind of community like to claim that there was/is a  "Coudenhove-Kalergi plan", before posting such utter nonsense here.

• Like 2

I said at the time, The British media say the UK Government is weak or Theresa May. Always pointing to Merkel as strong only because in their mind she represents the EU. Yet Theresa May got 44% of the vote and has a Government. Frau Merkel got 33% and still doesn't have a Government. Strong and stable springs to mind. especially when you consider the Netherlands have only just formed a government after 200+ days, troubles in Spain, Austria and Italy.

• Like 6

It's amazing how slow it takes the Continentals to form a government. In Britain we elect our PM and the government then usually comes fully formed straightaway.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

It's amazing how slow it takes the Continentals to form a government. In Britain we elect our PM and the government then usually comes fully formed straightaway.

That is the benefit of having first past the post electoral system. 9-times out of ten allows for stable governments. The system used by the continentals, P.R leads to minorities having more influence than the sum of their number and leads to all sorts of problems and compromises.  hence why the Netherlands as only just formed a government after 200+ days and why Germany is taking time. Belgium went over 580 days without a Government.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

That is the benefit of having first past the post electoral system. 9-times out of ten allows for stable governments. The system used by the continentals, P.R leads to minorities having more influence than the sum of their number and leads to all sorts of problems and compromises.  hence why the Netherlands as only just formed a government after 200+ days and why Germany is taking time. Belgium went over 580 days without a Government.

And the less said about Italy, the better.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toast said:

92 out of 709.

You should inform yourself first what "Coudenhove-Kalergi plan" means and what kind of community like to claim that there was/is a  "Coudenhove-Kalergi plan", before posting such utter nonsense here.

I am well aware of the writings of both Coudenhove-Kalergi senior and junior, and of their original writings in German. The Kalergi Prize is awarded under the auspices of the Charlemagne Prize and I would suggest people acquaint themselves with its purpose. That it reflects the beliefs and views of the Coudenhove-Kalergi family then the list of recent recipients below will be illuminating. It also explains the deliberately undemocratic way that the EU is organised (you will note that there are no recipients who believe in National Sovereignty. One exception is Winston Churchill in the 50's who recieved the Prize for saying that mainland Europe should be united-but has also said that the UK would not  be a part of such an organisation)

1969 : The European Commission

1970 : François Seydoux de Clausonne

1972 : Roy Jenkins

1973 : Salvador de Madariaga y Rojo (1886-1978)

1976 : Leo Tindemans

1977 : Walter Scheel

1978 : Konstantinos Karamanlis

1979 : Emilio Colombo

1981 : Simone Veil

1982 : Juan Carlos I, rey de España (1938- )

1984 : Karl Carstens

1986 : The People of Luxembourg

1987 : Henry Kissinger

1988 : François Mitterrand (1916-1996) and Helmut Kohl (1930- )

1989 : Frère Roger (of the Taizé Community)

1990 : Gyula Horn

1991 : Václav Havel

1992 : Jacques Delors

1993 : Felipe González

1994 : Gro Harlem Brundtland

1995 : Franz Vranitzky

1996 : Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

1997 : Roman Herzog

1998 : Bronislaw Geremek

1999 : Tony Blair (1953- )

2000 : Bill Clinton (1946- )

2001 : György Konrád

2002 : The Euro

2003 : Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (1926- )

2004 : Pat Cox

2004 : Pope John Paul II (extraordinary prize) (1920-2005)

2005 : Carlo Azeglio Ciampi

2006 : Jean-Claude Juncker

2007 : Javier Solana (1942- )

2008 : Angela Merkel (1954- )

2009 : Andrea Riccardi

2010 : Donald Tusk (1957-)

2011 : Jean-Claude Trichet

2012 : Wolfgang Schäuble

2013 : Dalia Grybauskaitė (1956- )

2014 : Herman Van Rompuy (1947-)

2015 : Martin Schultz

2016 : Pope Francis (1936-)

Edited by keithisco

46 minutes ago, keithisco said:

I am well aware of the writings of both Coudenhove-Kalergi senior and junior, and of their original writings in German. The Kalergi Prize is awarded under the auspices of the Charlemagne Prize and I would suggest people acquaint themselves with its purpose.

Then you didnt understood what you`ve read or you selected the wrong sources. First, there is no "Kalergi Prize" and 2nd, there is no "Coudenhove-Kalergi plan" (which is a CT only). Both neologisms are neologisms only and used by ultra right wing/nazi communties only.

3 hours ago, toast said:

Then you didnt understood what you`ve read or you selected the wrong sources. First, there is no "Kalergi Prize" and 2nd, there is no "Coudenhove-Kalergi plan" (which is a CT only). Both neologisms are neologisms only and used by ultra right wing/nazi communties only.

toast...I owe you an apology. My understanding of the Coudenhove-Kalergi family from reading their publications and books HAS been hi-jacked by extreme Nazi's upon revisiting the internet. What I took away from reading the original materials was the entirely pre-programmed path that the EU elite have followed ever since its inception as the EEC. It was C-K proposal in 1935 that Ode to Joy be its its anthem, that this should be accompanied by specific banners, pennants and a Union Flag and a European superstate. It is not too much of a stretch to consider this a "plan", but it is that in all but name. C-K also stated that the established populations in western europe would be replaced by a homogeneous population all the same colour through the arrival of mass immigration from Africa. Yes: the ultra right-wings have leapt on this which makes it too toxic for any kind of learned discussion and I wont return to this as a consequence. thereof

I still maintain that there IS a Kalergi Prize as evidence in this Official EU link

So, I apologise toast, yes the "plan" has been hi-jacked and twisted by ultra Right Wing Fascists

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

So this year was that 1 time? 

56 minutes ago, keithisco said:

I still maintain that there IS a Kalergi Prize as evidence in this Official EU link

There is (still) no "Kalergi Prize", even not in the link. There is a European Prize Coudenhove-Kalergi but not "Kalergi Prize", which is a nazi  term in wich the word European is intentional not mentioned. Sounds like nitpicking but it isnt. 

So, I apologise toast, yes the "plan" has been hi-jacked and twisted by ultra Right Wing Fascists

Dude, no worries.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Parsec said:

So this year was that 1 time? 

No, The last time was Tory Lib Dems coalition in 2010/15 before that it was the War Cabinet 1939/45.

The Current Tory-DUP is not a coalition but a confidence and supply deal.

German Government Talks have collapsed, possibly another election looming?

9 hours ago, stevewinn said:

No, The last time was Tory Lib Dems coalition in 2010/15 before that it was the War Cabinet 1939/45.

The Current Tory-DUP is not a coalition but a confidence and supply deal.

Never alluded at the shape of this government. 

In your post you just mentioned

That is the benefit of having first past the post electoral system. 9-times out of ten allows for stable governments

It doesn't look like the current government is stable. Nor strong for that matter. 

8 hours ago, stevewinn said:

German Government Talks have collapsed, possibly another election looming?

That's my guess...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parsec said:

Never alluded at the shape of this government. 

In your post you just mentioned

It doesn't look like the current government is stable. Nor strong for that matter. 

We have a functioning Government. which is stable and thus strong.

4 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

That's my guess...

Could this be the end of poor old Frau Merkel? Paying the price for #allwelcome,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

We have a functioning Government. which is stable and thus strong.

Aye, if you say so. 

By the way, after all that happened so far, I do think this government will last till its natural end.

29 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

I doubt it. They have no one else. 

EU apparatchik Martin Schulz?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

EU apparatchik Martin Schulz?

Wrong party. He is a Social Democrat, unlike Merkel, who is a Christian Democrat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Wrong party. He is a Social Democrat, unlike Merkel, who is a Christian Democrat. 

What about if there is another election? no?

• Like 1