Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12 strange American laws – in pictures

Still Waters

The New York-based photographer Olivia Locher became interested in peculiar laws when a friend mentioned that it is illegal to have....

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2017/nov/18/states-of-disgrace-strange-american-laws-in-pictures

• Like 5

Banning hammering a nail in a tree is not so silly. It hurts the tree and if a farmer had to cut it down and/or make barn boards out of it it hurt the saw and sometimes the cutter or sawyer.. If my family caught a hunter hammering a nail into one of our trees for a deer stand they were kicked off the property. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The hatpin one is a bit misleading, they mean these....

510b360a7a284998faf8dcf40f2d4059--ladies

Awww, those are so dainty and decorative. I rather like the 1920's/30's one and have some vintage filigree like that- might have to order some new blanks and make a couple for Christmas presents. I don't use hatpins much, but I know a few ladies that do.

I giggled a bit about the hatpin photo from the article too because of the inaccuracy of it. The hatpins that triggered the law were more like 9-12 inch long steel spikes meant to firmly attach a hat into the hair. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/hatpin-peril-terrorized-men-who-couldnt-handle-20th-century-woman-180951219/

Those hat pins were more akin to a stiletto stuck into the hat, like this:

202a37d65c3fbb6b15ea1cb131c0b707--church-attire-designer-hats.jpg

• Like 2

I found a hatpin in my grandmother's sewing basket, I'm not sure why she kept it in there but I suspect it was too long to fit in her jewellery box. I've no idea how old it is, she's been gone since 1988 at the grand old age of 94. Perhaps I'll go searching for it online some day, not that I intend to part with it.

• Like 2

What a treat to watch!

• Like 1

Wisconsin, I was born and raised.. and it's a rarity to see cheese served with apple pie in public venues.. even the Wisconsin State Fair don't offer up apple pie and cheese.

I'm not much of a sweets with pie person really.. but a nice bit of good cheese paired up with pie is indeed sublime.

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Wisconsin, I was born and raised.. and it's a rarity to see cheese served with apple pie in public venues.. even the Wisconsin State Fair don't offer up apple pie and cheese.

I'm not much of a sweets with pie person really.. but a nice bit of good cheese paired up with pie is indeed sublime.

Outrageous! It's about time someone sends the cops down there!

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of cheese on apple pie at all! It should be outlawed!

Well, Wisconsin is big on cheese, so that apple pie law makes a little sense. 

It reminds me of all the dumb regulations in the military.

You just had to shake your head, knowing that it wouldn't have been written up like that unless some fool and done it, and gotten themsevles hurt. 

• Like 1