Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christmas dinners around the world

Still Waters

Christmas dinner just wouldn't be Christmas dinner without turkey and all the trimmings in the UK and the US.

But a fascinating photo series reveals that these countries are almost the only ones that celebrate by eating these foods.

Twenty-five families from across the world were asked what they tuck into on December 25 by Christmas tree maker Balsam Hill, and some of the meals are very different to a traditional roast dinner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5084925/The-WEIRDEST-Christmas-dinners-people-world-eat.html

• Like 1

I'd eat or at least try most of those dishes, most of them sound good. Except menudo, I really don't like tripe.

In my family we have kind of never had a traditional sit down Christmas dinner. Sit down dinner with the Turkey and fixings is Thanksgiving for us. Christmas is more of a two day smorgasbord. Eating usually starts in the morning as we have coffee and start picking over food to start with while the last of the tree decorating is done sometime in early afternoon- then it's time to really start breaking out real food, and lasts on till late in the evening once everyone is too full and presents are all open and the candles have long been replaced with fresh ones and those burned down too and everyone has rolled off to their beds or homes to sleep off the food coma. Everything is small plate, and nibbles through the day rather than sitting down and eating it all at once. Christmas Day we eat the leftovers out of the fridge, and skip the total layout of everything. We have a lot of folk for Eve, but there's just a few of us left on Day.

A variety of breads sweet and savory along with butters, smears, spreads, and preserves for them, relish trays of pickled goods, veggie trays with dips, deviled eggs, sausage and cheese platters, assorted crackers and chips, swedish meatballs, broken cold meats and cuts like ham and chicken, shelled nuts, smoked fish, pickled herring, boiled shrimp and cajiun angels, rouladen, cookies, chocolates and other confections, a couple different cakes or pies, bowl of salad fixings, a couple different kinds of soups... a bunch of other stuff too sometimes makes it onto the board or not. Depends on how many people are supposed to be showing up, lol.

• Like 1

We celebrate christmas eve on the 24th and a typical dinner consists of flæskesteg (Roast pork), duck, boiled and caramelized potatoes, usually with a spiced red cabbage. For dessert we eat rice pudding with almonds and the tradition is to put one whole almond in it and whoever gets that wins an extra present. This is just the most common dinner, there are an endless array of family traditions. 

The next two days are usually a big smorgasbord.

But of course the most important part is the alchohol. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Me, I'll probably eating a bowl of sticky rice with goat meat stir fried in olive oil with red peppers elephant garlic, onions and burdock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Me, I'll probably eating a bowl of sticky rice with goat meat stir fried in olive oil with red peppers elephant garlic, onions and burdock. 

That sounds really good. How do you treat goat for stir fry? I've had goat a few times, but it's always been slow cooked and typically wet cooked. Stir frys are fast and dry.